collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: MLP Art Redrawn Two Years Later  (Read 2377 times)

Offline JanuaryJoy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Magic Fantasy Hair Pony
  • G1 & G3 MLP Collector
    • View Profile
MLP Art Redrawn Two Years Later
« on: February 21, 2021, 10:08:06 PM »
I haven't shown my digital art on MLP Arena yet. I drew one of my favorite My Little Ponies, G1 Locket, in May 2019. It's been nearly two years, and I was feeling a bit insecure about my artistic abilities recently. So, I decided to do her again to re-instill confidence and see I'm improving!

This is the drawing I made when I was fourteen:
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

I probably spent a few hours on that. Now, this is the drawing I made earlier this month with similar time and effort!

I used the same IPad and Apple Pencil on IbisPaintX for both drawings. I changed Locket's flying pose to a rearing one, which looks better to me. Naturally, there's also notable differences in my style... It looks like it's becoming more simplistic. I'm a little worried some details are objectively worse, but regardless, I like my 2021 art much better. I draw My Little Ponies fairly often, so I'll definitely share more another day!

Bonus: These are pictures of my own Locket who inspired those drawings. She's in such awesome condition!
Spoiler

:glitter: :glitter: :art: :glitter: :glitter:
« Last Edit: May 01, 2021, 01:27:14 PM by JanuaryJoy »

:rainbow: 𝕁𝕒𝕟𝕦𝕒𝕣𝕪𝕁𝕠𝕪, 𝕥𝕙𝕒𝕥'𝕤 𝕞𝕖 :rainbow:

Offline Griffin

• Trade Count: (+89)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • aka Haawan | she/her
    • View Profile
    • Haawan Pony Customs
Re: MLP Art Redrawn Two Years Later
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2021, 01:11:45 AM »
Glad to hear your area was able to get things under control quickly!  :cold:

Thanks for sharing your art with us, both old and new. :) I think they're both adorable! The styles also differ to the extent that I'm not sure if there's a point in comparing and determining which one is objectively better - if you feel your skills have improved, and if you like the new stylistic choices better, that's the most important thing. ^^ Keep up the good work!

In the first pic I'm drawn to the soft colouring and linework, and the dynamic pose. You also captured the G1 head style very well! The second pic engages with the viewer and I think that's what makes it more appealing. Her eyes are very pretty and I like that you've let your personal style shine! The colours are also closer to real Locket, and her body seems more proportionate.

I'm not sure if you were looking for tips for improvement but when it comes to anatomy, I always recommend pony artists study images and/or the anatomy of real horses and ponies. It really helps in making the angles and proportions look natural. :) And even if one decides to break some rules for stylistic purposes, knowing which poses and movements are natural to horses will always help make the artwork look more convincing.

Looking forward to seeing more of your cute drawings soon! 

deviantART | Haawan Pony Customs | Aithne reference
Avatar by FizzyScrumptious, signature by tailrustedtealeaf - thank you ♥

Offline Artemesia's Garden

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Flicker Flame... Thanks to Brightberry!
    • View Profile
    • Things I make and Do
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2021, 01:41:16 AM »
They are both lovely, the colours are perfect. I agree that the proportions are better on the new one and she has more character. I prefer the coloured lines in the first one though. Locket is such a pretty pony and her symbol is so unique!
:heart: ISO G1 Daffodil, upgrade for June Rose; G1 Waterfall blue towel, G1 Waterfall bubbles bottle with white writing; Perfume Puff Palace green hat, pink bracelet and mesh scarves, glitter combs for SHS, lace scarves for SHS, G3 Flower Wishes and Candy Cane, Baby Northern Lights...Accessories from FiM Collection Canterlot Castle: Tirek's staff, Phoenix and stand, open book :heart: Pony Page :heart: Wish List :heart:

Offline Ponybookworm

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • MOC Mimic
  • All Pony Literature appreciated!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2021, 01:52:13 AM »
Both these are incredibly cute!!!
My Mascots (so far): Twisty Tail, G2 Trixiebelle, Starcatcher, Twilight Sparkle. All variants & pictures of these are appreciated. Piccies courtesy of Griffin, Blumiere, Littlebabyribbon, & Starscout

Offline JanuaryJoy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Magic Fantasy Hair Pony
  • G1 & G3 MLP Collector
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2021, 02:20:23 PM »
Thanks for sharing your art with us, both old and new. :) I think they're both adorable! The styles also differ to the extent that I'm not sure if there's a point in comparing and determining which one is objectively better - if you feel your skills have improved, and if you like the new stylistic choices better, that's the most important thing. ^^ Keep up the good work!

In the first pic I'm drawn to the soft colouring and linework, and the dynamic pose. You also captured the G1 head style very well! The second pic engages with the viewer and I think that's what makes it more appealing. Her eyes are very pretty and I like that you've let your personal style shine! The colours are also closer to real Locket, and her body seems more proportionate.

Thanks so much, I'm glad you liked them! :heart: I suppose an inability to fully compare them isn't bad, it just shows substantial style evolution.
I outlined the original artwork with colors because it was a new thing for me, and I wanted to experiment. I totally get why others like it, but I eventually felt colored lineart didn't suit me. I've been drawing fanart for a small cartoon fandom the last couple years, and the show's distinct style involved solid, bold lines. I became "famous" for being so dedicated that I could capture that style nearly flawless! So now, the look's been implemented into how I draw naturally.

:rainbow: 𝕁𝕒𝕟𝕦𝕒𝕣𝕪𝕁𝕠𝕪, 𝕥𝕙𝕒𝕥'𝕤 𝕞𝕖 :rainbow:

Offline starrynights

• Takara Fakie
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • Tinsel Enthusiast, Fakie Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2021, 12:01:19 AM »
I love them both :)