collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: TAF G1 to G3 and G4  (Read 3560 times)

Offline starrynights

• Takara Fakie
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • Tinsel Enthusiast, Fakie Fan
    • View Profile
Re: TAF G1 to G3 and G4
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2021, 07:01:58 PM »
They look amazing! What kind of paintbrushes do you use if you don't mind me asking?

The paintbrushes I use for the tiny details are "The Army Painter" brand, "Wargamer: Detail" and "Wargamer: Insane detail"   Those names sound so hardcore for something used on cute ponies  :lol:  One thing I like about them is that the triangular shape of the handle of the paintbrush keeps it from rolling when you set it down, and makes it easier to hold steady.  I may have bought them back when I lived in Europe years ago but I'm sure you can order them online.  It looks like they don't make those models anymore but have ones called "Psycho" and "Character" that I would guess are similar or equivalent...
Thank you for letting me know!! xx

Offline BlackCurtains

• Mad Scientist
  • Trade Count: (+69)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Orange ponies are the best.
    • View Profile
    • BlackCurtains Crafts
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2021, 09:30:17 AM »
Wow, the symbols are perfect!
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Instagram | Facebook
Commissions are Closed
Avatar and sig by Mione (offsite)

Offline Strawberry Swirl

• Trade Count: (+40)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • #1 Rainbow Dash Kinnie
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2021, 11:51:15 AM »
How cute is that! I didn't know Munchy would look so good as a G3 pony.
WishlistChecklistSalesPonysonaCommissions

Offline Nemesis

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • Material Girl
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2021, 06:16:39 PM »
These look so legit, you could have fooled me into thinking they were leaked designs! :biggrin: Really gorgeous work! Up Up and Away and Sugarberry are two of my all-time favorite ponies. <3

The sheen and uniformity of the paint is honestly awe-inspiring. What brand of paints/sealer do you use?
« Last Edit: February 23, 2021, 06:19:57 PM by Nemesis »
🌈⭐️Check out my wishlist! Seeking all generations of ponies, Fashion Star Fillies, Magic Meadow Ponies, REMCO ponies, Sweetie Pups/Kitties, cutesy 80s/90s toys, and more!🦄🌙

Offline SunPony

• Trade Count: (+49)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2021, 06:32:36 PM »
These look so legit, you could have fooled me into thinking they were leaked designs! :biggrin: Really gorgeous work! Up Up and Away and Sugarberry are two of my all-time favorite ponies. <3

The sheen and uniformity of the paint is honestly awe-inspiring. What brand of paints/sealer do you use?

Thanks!  Most of the paint is Vallejo brand Model Color acrylics and the sealant I've been using is Vallejo brand Polyurethane Matt Varnish (I do two coats).  Eyes get 2-3 coats of Citadel Colour Gloss Varnish for some shine.

However, Munchy's full body repaint was with some regular cheapo craft store acrylic...let's see...Apple Barrel brand.  And here's where things get weird.  When I did her FBR, I didn't let it dry enough (it was summer and super humid here), then I sealed it with Vallejo brand Acrylic Resin (which I have used in the past for customs with no issues, it always worked great).  This resulted in her being very sticky no matter how long she sat in front of the dehumidifier.  Then I decided to try covering her with the Polyurethane sealant just to see what happened and WOW - she has the best finish ever.  It is super smooth and matte and totally dry to the touch.  I don't know how to replicate this!  I've since done another pony with the craft store acrylic FBR, and then let her dry fully, and then directly sealed with the Polyurethane, and even though it is supposed to be matte she somehow ended up much shinier than Munchy.  So right now I'm not sure what is going on...I have another pony I'm working on and I'm going to need to seal her at some point but I'm at a loss!

Update: I've just googled my issue and it seems that you need to mix up the polyurethane really well before using it to get the matte finish to work out.  The bottle doesn't mention this  >_<
« Last Edit: February 23, 2021, 06:38:52 PM by SunPony »
Thanks to Shimmlight for the new avatar image  :biggrin:

Offline Griffin

• Staff
  • Trade Count: (+89)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • aka Haawan | she/her
    • View Profile
    • Haawan Pony Customs
« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2021, 12:31:39 AM »
Update: I've just googled my issue and it seems that you need to mix up the polyurethane really well before using it to get the matte finish to work out.  The bottle doesn't mention this  >_<

Oh yes I learned this the hard way, too! I use Folk Art brand and it only says to roll the bottle on tabletop or shake *gently*... But I've noticed the best way is to actually mix it with a wooden stick.

deviantART | Haawan Pony Customs | Aithne reference
Avatar by FizzyScrumptious, signature by tailrustedtealeaf - thank you ♥

Offline Nemesis

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • Material Girl
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2021, 07:23:15 AM »
Thanks for the info, I really want to try out that matte varnish! It’s the best I’ve seen, going by these ponies. :)
🌈⭐️Check out my wishlist! Seeking all generations of ponies, Fashion Star Fillies, Magic Meadow Ponies, REMCO ponies, Sweetie Pups/Kitties, cutesy 80s/90s toys, and more!🦄🌙

Offline LadyAmalthea

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2021, 10:09:18 AM »
They look amazing! What kind of paintbrushes do you use if you don't mind me asking?

The paintbrushes I use for the tiny details are "The Army Painter" brand, "Wargamer: Detail" and "Wargamer: Insane detail"   Those names sound so hardcore for something used on cute ponies  :lol:  One thing I like about them is that the triangular shape of the handle of the paintbrush keeps it from rolling when you set it down, and makes it easier to hold steady.  I may have bought them back when I lived in Europe years ago but I'm sure you can order them online.  It looks like they don't make those models anymore but have ones called "Psycho" and "Character" that I would guess are similar or equivalent...

Well, wish me luck...I just ordered these! Thank you for the info. I am terrible at painting fine detail, and I didn't used to be, so I'm blaming it on my brushes, haha. I was actually able to find 'Wargamer detail' and 'insane detail' on Ebay, and I was going to purchase all 4, including 'character' and 'psycho' as well, just to try them all out, but I waited too long with them in my cart and the latter 2 sold out. Oh well. Anyway...just thought I'd post in case anyone is looking for them, it looks like the seller still has a few detail and insane detail in stock.

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2021, 07:52:06 AM »
Cuuute! G3 Munchy is my fave of the bunch.
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline Tropical_Sunset

• Trade Count: (+86)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2021, 08:05:53 PM »
These are SO ADORABLE! Great job!

Offline SunPony

• Trade Count: (+49)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 18, 2021, 07:32:26 AM »
Bumping for newly-added Night Glider!
Thanks to Shimmlight for the new avatar image  :biggrin:

Offline Heelys

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Brush N Grow Pony
  • Member of the Aquacadets
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 18, 2021, 08:09:58 AM »
They all look fantastic, but I'm in LOVE with your Munchy.
Gender? I hardly know 'er!  :biggrin: | PM me about G1 custom or OOAK World's Smallest commissions! ;)

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 18, 2021, 08:16:54 AM »
Night Glider looks amazing! Perfect pose too.
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline starrynights

• Takara Fakie
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • Tinsel Enthusiast, Fakie Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 18, 2021, 04:44:38 PM »
Oh my goodness night glider looks beautiful

Offline Ponybookworm

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • MOC Mimic
  • All Pony Literature appreciated!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 18, 2021, 11:59:06 PM »
Night Glider looks awesome!!!
My Mascots (so far): Twisty Tail, G2 Trixiebelle, Starcatcher, Twilight Sparkle. All variants & pictures of these are appreciated. Piccies courtesy of Griffin, Blumiere, Littlebabyribbon, & Starscout

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal