collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Disney shuts down Blue Sky Studio, halts their projects, fires employees  (Read 2364 times)

Offline Zapper

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
https://www.cartoonbrew.com/business/breaking-disney-is-shutting-down-blue-sky-studios-450-employees-to-be-impacted-201814.html

I am not surprised by this but I am angry. Remind me why people (especially here) hold this company in such high regard? Blue Sky Studio's biggest hit was certainly Ice Age but they had a couple of other great toon movies.

They were working on the fantasy movie 'Nimona' based on the comic books of the same name that Disney now killed before it could get completed because they can't take it when competition makes better "princess" stuff than them. The director was let go and production halted.

A new Ice Age series was already announced at Disney+ and Blue Sky won't be involved in it at all. Gotta milk those franchises.

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
Re: Disney shuts down Blue Sky Studio, halts their projects, fires employees
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2021, 07:51:56 AM »
I saw another article that says Disney is trying to get the affected employees new positions within the company.
I'm not surprised, am sad that it happened, but can't say I thought of Blue Sky as a great or anything. The Peanuts movie was probably the best of the bunch, but I liked the visual style of Horton Hears a Who as well, I think that translated well.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Sig by Starscout <3

Offline Zapper

• Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2021, 08:27:28 AM »
I saw another article that says Disney is trying to get the affected employees new positions within the company.

They can say that but it's not realistic. It's just a few friendly words to lessen the blow. A few talents might get picked and moved over to Disney but the bulk won't. They fired so many of their own employees, no way they are gonna Noah's Ark the Blue Sky people.

Whether you enjoyed Blue Sky's movies or not, Disney growing into this behemoth who owns everything is crazy. It totally kills market competition and when it comes to movies it stifles vision and creativity.

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2021, 04:23:24 PM »
Blue Sky isn't the best, but they had a few gems and I don't get the point of Disney just buying and tossing companies like its junk from their basement. Hey Disney, since your so worried about your finances, how bout ya focus on your own brand? You are now officially the cranky old hoarder of mega-corporations.
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline starrynights

• Takara Fakie
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • Tinsel Enthusiast, Fakie Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2021, 06:42:50 PM »
This is going to sound silly but I feel like Disney is trying to take over and completely dominate the animation industry.

Offline SaraMari

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2021, 07:56:31 PM »
It doesn't sound silly at all, I would say they'd like to take over as much of the entire entertainment industry as they can

:heart: :heart: https://www.instagram.com/moonglowdreams  :heart: :heart:

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2021, 05:47:13 AM »
I love the Peanuts movie.  Most of the Blue Sky movies don't interest me but I also think Disney doesn't need to buy every other animation studio so that they own everything.

Ponyfan

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Online lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2021, 06:03:44 AM »
This is going to sound silly but I feel like Disney is trying to take over and completely dominate the animation industry.

pretty much since the beginning of animation's history :)  all hail the mouse...
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2021, 12:16:02 PM »

Your not wrong.
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline bright rabbit 1

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Titan Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2021, 01:23:35 PM »
I want them to take over Sony, they don’t deserve Spider-Man

A mother pony can be protective of her young just like dogs.

Friend Code: SW-4221-8531-0056

Offline Minty_Magic

• Trade Count: (+27)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2021, 09:41:34 PM »

Isn’t Spider-Man in Marvel movies already? I looked it up because the whole thing is confusing, but it looks like while Sony still owns the rights to make Spider-Man movies, Marvel aka Disney has the rights to merchandise and comics with Spider-Man. Sounds like they’re still making good $$$ off the character. Disney does not need yet another studio. And no offense, but Disney would never dare to do something as bold and unique as the spider verse movies that Sony did. It was a breath of fresh air to see something visually unique come out and get a warm reception from the general audience.

I’m a Disney fan, but I don’t like how they operate.I think their stranglehold on the entertainment industry is unethical and strangles creativity. I didn’t particularly like any of the movies Blue Sky put out, but that’s not the point here. The point is Disney is stomping out their competition. By absorbing all their competing studios they are not letting the animation industry grow and experiment. Disney has their formula and they’re sticking to it. They have their preferred character designs (especially for women characters) and so the visual style is pretty much identical across all their movies. They have their star directors that work on all their big movies, so thematically, they are pretty much the same. Sense of humor is a little bit sarcastic, but always wholesome. Doesn’t matter if you’re watching Zootopia, Moana, Tangled, or Frozen. The humor and dialogue could be interchangeable between movies. They’ll never explore themes that are too dark or heavy. Gotta always get that G rating to pull in as many ticket sales as possible. It’s fine for Disney to have their own style of course, but when it’s all you can get in animation, it gets boring. It’s like having your favorite meal every single day for the rest of your life. Finally enough is enough. Beyond just animation it’s stupid how many other forms of entertainment they have their hands on. Sports, comics, multiple cable stations, the news, National Geographic....I mean it’s insane what all they are associated with.

I don’t know why so many Disney fans think they can’t criticize the company. I like Disney movies. But I also recognize that Disney is awful and a greedy corporation like any other and it SHOULD be called out.

Thank you to Squarepeg for my avatar!

Offline Zapper

• Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2021, 02:24:02 AM »

Disney doesn't "deserve" anything either. Nobody deserves to own an IP except for the creator, and in case of Spidey his creators are dead. I'd also like to remind you that Sony made Into The Spiderverse, an animated superhero movie that was awarded an Oscar amongst 14 other awards. Disney could never. They'd always push their own brands first when it comes to animation.

I rarely get heated over statements on this board, but this honestly made me angry. ItSV would have never seen the light of day if Disney had all the rights to Spider-Man.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal