collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Unplug your phone chargers when not in use!  (Read 1888 times)

Offline Pokeyonekenobie

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
Unplug your phone chargers when not in use!
« on: February 11, 2021, 03:50:00 PM »
I wanted to tell everyone to unplug your phone charger when you aren't using it.  My ex-Sister-in-law's house burnt down on Tuesday and they linked it to her step-son's iphone charger that they kept plugged into the wall all the time whether it was being used or not. 

Everyone and all the pets made it out okay but they literally ran out of the house with only what they were wearing. 

This is the second house we know of personally that has been set ablaze because of a phone charger that was plugged in but not being used. 

So please, kids, just unplug them. This should go for any charger that isn't being used whether it be phone, video game, tablet, whatever.  The inconvenience of unplugging a cord is way less expensive than the inconvenience of rebuilding a house.

Offline BethyVic

• Let It Be/Peace & Love Pony
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • There is still a light that shines on me
    • View Profile
Re: Unplug your phone chargers when not in use!
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2021, 06:01:58 PM »
Thank you for the reminder, I am afraid I keep the charger in my bedroom plugged in even when I am not charging my phone.  Do you think this goes for chargers for iPads and computers as well?
[email protected]

*Looking for MOC Starflash and her comb loose, MOC Peppermint Crunch and MOC Sky Rocket (sparkle) all US versions*

Offline Pokeyonekenobie

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2021, 09:05:35 PM »
I don't know for sure but better safe than sorry.

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2021, 04:27:26 AM »
Wow, that's horrible :(

I'm really paranoid about plugs. Nothing gets left plugged in here if I'm not using it, and everything gets unplugged if we go out and nobody is home. The only thing that gets left plugged in overnight is the fridge freezer! I'm sure my router probably hates me for it, but it's just tough...

I also never leave sockets live. If we have workmen who leave them on I'll go around and switch them off. :pullhair: I use safety plugs and power surge safe bars when I need extensions as well. But I always worried about it when I was in London, knowing there were probably lots of other people in the hall not thinking about stuff like this...every time we had a fire drill :/

It's probably ok to leave a charger plugged in if you can switch off the socket, but I know not everywhere has that option. When I was in Japan, the thing would be live the moment I plugged it in and that took some getting used to.

There are also a whole lot of things I won't leave plugged in if I leave the room, and the phone is one of those. I guess just call me paranoid...

« Last Edit: February 12, 2021, 04:29:37 AM by Taffeta »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • Trade Count: (+131)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2021, 06:05:05 AM »
u_u; This is a bad habit of mine.

Also just be careful of cheap chargers in general. They can cause fires even when charging something.

:: my etsy :: 3DS FC 1735-9876-4867 // SW-8381-5856-2018

Offline LadyAmalthea

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2021, 09:18:44 AM »
I have a bad habit of leaving everything plugged in. If I don't, my chargers disappear...that's one of many disadvantages of living with other people. I've even tried writing on my chargers with silver sharpie marker to whom it belongs, and which device it came with, but someone still takes them if they aren't attached to an outlet. For some reason, if I have a dedicated outlet to certain chargers, they tend to stay there and the individuals who are guilty of charger-stealing just plug and unplug their devices into them as needed. Guess I'm just glad we have homeowners insurance.

Sorry to hear about your sister-in-law's house. That's really awful.

ETA: banditpony, that's a good point about the cheap chargers. I refuse to use chargers that don't come with the device, but my husband buys cheap chargers all the time. I don't know why; they always wear out right away or never get a full charge on anything from my experience, but I'll pass along this caveat to him that they are a fire hazard as well.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2021, 09:22:30 AM by LadyAmalthea »

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2021, 03:12:04 PM »
I try not to leave chargers plugged in when they're not being used but I have forgotten a few times.  My Nintendo Gamecube stopped working after I left it plugged in and lighting hit my house. 

I've always been wary of the really cheap chargers that you can buy at the grocery store.  The ones that have a lot of cables running from a single plug and cost around $5-$10. 

Ponyfan

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal