collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Adding Wings to Non-Winged Ponies  (Read 1297 times)

Offline Tropical_Sunset

• Trade Count: (+86)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
Adding Wings to Non-Winged Ponies
« on: January 31, 2021, 03:29:06 PM »
So, I love the flutter poses but I don't like it when they don't have wings, like Scribbles and Dabbles and the HQG1C flutter pose ponies. I'm of course not going to be modifying Scribbles and Dabbles ever but I like the idea of creating my own flutters with HQG1C blanks!

So, has anyone ever added flutter-type wings to a non-winged pony before? Any advice?

Offline starrynights

• Takara Fakie
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • Tinsel Enthusiast, Fakie Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Adding Wings to Non-Winged Ponies
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2021, 05:42:51 PM »
I am making a breezie right now which will have thin clear plastic flutter style wings
I plan on just leaving a part of the plastic long at the ends and then super gluing it to the sides of the pony

Offline LadySatine

• Trade Count: (+230)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
  • It's time for the robot test!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2021, 09:41:27 AM »
Yes, I agree with starrynights, keep the tabs longer, like a flutter pony. Then what I usually do is figure out how exactly I want the wings, and then I take an x-acto knife and make slits in the pony and insert the wing tabs. You can use glue if you want, but the plastic usually keeps them in place very well. Hope this helps! 
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Vintage toys on Ebay:MLP Customs on Etsy: :freak: Commission Status: CLOSED:Avatar by FloralHippo:Siggy pony by Griffin :lol:

Offline lovelauraland

• Trade Count: (+127)
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://www.lovelauraland.com
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2021, 05:07:37 AM »
I have added repo wings to my g3 version before.
I actually made slits into the plastic to pop them into and it worked really well.
Good luck

Offline Snapdragon

• Trade Count: (+103)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2021, 11:38:51 PM »
I know I've added other accessories (horns, in my case) by stabbing a hole in the plastic, pushing in a piece of wire attached to the wing, then bending it inside to keep it in place! You could also add some apoxie sculpt or glue to keep it extra firm, I think I stabilized my horn with hot glue?*

EDIT because I realized I was unclear: Do hot glue or apoxie on the INSIDE of the pony to stabilize! Maybe a little tiny dot of E6000 on the outside, since it'll be much smaller and unobtrusive!
« Last Edit: February 22, 2021, 10:07:25 PM by Snapdragon »
Commissions and sales are currently closed due to pandemic.~*~Sales!~*~Want List ~*~JAFFACAKE!

Offline Twizel

• Switchblade Kitten
  • Trade Count: (+35)
  • Dazzle Surprise
  • This crown gives me a feeling of power! POWER!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2021, 03:23:10 PM »
I've tried making tissue paper or transparency paper wings, but I have trouble getting them to turn out like I want. I know some people sculpt beautiful wings, but here's my best effort:

I built a wire frame for the wings, covered it with a mesh, and carefully glued overlapping feathers to it. Then I used the wire to root it into the pony body, with the end result being posable feathered wings. The custom was Devil Jin from Tekken. Its not a great pic of the full pony, but it'll give you a good idea of the wings.

Offline Tropical_Sunset

• Trade Count: (+86)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2021, 08:13:08 PM »
Oh my goodness. Thank you for all the advice! I'm seriously blown away by the amount of talent on here, these customs are incredible. Definitely gonna copy and paste all this into a doc for future reference.

I guess I'm gonna have to suck it up and stab that pony in the back. Twice!  :lol:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal