collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Where do you get your doll news?  (Read 2286 times)

Offline Taxel

• Cutie Pops Crusader
  • Trade Count: (+44)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Sundance <3
    • View Profile
    • Collections
Where do you get your doll news?
« on: January 30, 2021, 11:12:30 PM »
I was an avid reader of Toybox Philosopher for years and combined with Tumblr and the Arena, I knew pretty much everything going on in the doll world. I haven't been active for a couple years, TBP is over, and I don't use Tumblr anymore. Every time I walk down the toy aisles I have absolutely no clue what's going or or what stuff is good quality.

Are there any dependable places for collectors to get news these days?
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline starrynights

• Takara Fakie
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • Tinsel Enthusiast, Fakie Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Where do you get your doll news?
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2021, 11:38:22 PM »
For releases a website called youloveit keeps track of them. I wish to find another blog like TBP, miss that blog!
Sadly I don't know a site that reviews dolls very frequently..
I think instagram and facebook are most popularly used now?

Offline Wardah

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2021, 07:16:25 AM »
For doll reviews in the vein of Toybox Philosopher:
http://venivididolli.blogspot.com

For news:
https://instagram.com/thedollynews
Seeking Cutie Princess toys by Chap Mei!!

Also seeking brown Novi Stars fakies, and Punzels.

Av by Moonflower.

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2021, 07:22:22 AM »
Here, the MH Arena, and Venivididolli's blog, mostly. Used to keep an eye on the Enchantimals-Dolls Tumblr for Enchantimals news, unfortunately that vanished a few months ago :( So now I just look at Lori's blog for updates on those, or else hunt around the net until I find something.

It does feel like there's less of a 'central' area for dolly news these days... or maybe it just feels like that to me because most of the dolls I used to collect are long gone. :P

Offline Taxel

• Cutie Pops Crusader
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Sundance <3
    • View Profile
    • Collections
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2021, 12:49:26 PM »
Its a shame everything is on FB/Instagram now. There's a real lack of community, discussion, and cohesion on those sites. They're just not designed for it. At least TheDollyNews seems pretty useful.

Wow, I had no idea the MH Arena was still around! I left that forum years ago because it seemed like every thread was just a competition to spend more money.

It does feel like there's less of a 'central' area for dolly news these days... or maybe it just feels like that to me because most of the dolls I used to collect are long gone. :P

I think you might be on to something. All my favorite lines, like Cutie Pops and Liv, were discontinued soooo long ago. A lot of current lines seems super cheap and unappealing to me. RequiemArt reviewed some Rainbow High dolls and tbh that's the only reason I'm getting back into playline.

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2021, 06:50:13 AM »
It really does feel like there was a huge boom of interesting/appealing/etc doll lines a few years ago, and then things tapered off at some point. It's weird to think about.

Offline starrynights

• Takara Fakie
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • Tinsel Enthusiast, Fakie Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2021, 06:18:59 PM »
Personally I think it may all be connected to the death of Monster High....

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2021, 07:47:30 AM »
MH's death (and before that, waning interest in "monster dolls" in general, I think) definitely killed off a lot of the similar doll lines. :(

But then, there were also nice/creative/unique/etc doll lines like LaDeeDa, Cutie Pops, Liv, Lalaloopsy etc that had nothing to do with MH, and it feels like there's a lot less of those around too, nowadays. (If that makes sense)

Offline Taxel

• Cutie Pops Crusader
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Sundance <3
    • View Profile
    • Collections
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2021, 06:50:27 PM »
I know exactly what you mean. Browsing toy aisles is depressing now. It seems like most things are blind bags and just... generic dolls, if that makes sense. They seem to mostly be cheaply made too.

Offline Wardah

• MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2021, 08:30:08 PM »
I know exactly what you mean. Browsing toy aisles is depressing now. It seems like most things are blind bags and just... generic dolls, if that makes sense. They seem to mostly be cheaply made too.

I dunno. I do agree it was like that for a long time and it was a sad time for dolls but it has been getting better lately. OMG and Rainbow High and Cave Club and FailFix are all great doll lines.

Av by Moonflower.

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2021, 04:38:45 PM »

Makes perfect sense, I know exactly what you mean. Toooo many blind bags these days, IMO. (I don't mind blind bags if they're cheap/pocket money priced, but £10+ for a surprise toy? No thank you!) And yeah, there seems to be a definite lack of any stand-out concepts for dolls, if that makes sense? Lots of 'normal human girl' dolls but nothing really unique like MH, Novi Stars, etc. (I'll give you that FailFix does have a pretty interesting/unique gimmick, though) Oh, except Cave Club. Those don't interest me personally, but I like that they're something different; I'd like to see more lines like that.

Offline Wardah

• MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2021, 07:11:22 AM »

Makes perfect sense, I know exactly what you mean. Toooo many blind bags these days, IMO. (I don't mind blind bags if they're cheap/pocket money priced, but £10+ for a surprise toy? No thank you!) And yeah, there seems to be a definite lack of any stand-out concepts for dolls, if that makes sense? Lots of 'normal human girl' dolls but nothing really unique like MH, Novi Stars, etc. (I'll give you that FailFix does have a pretty interesting/unique gimmick, though) Oh, except Cave Club. Those don't interest me personally, but I like that they're something different; I'd like to see more lines like that.

I honestly agree about the blind bags tho even then I prefer the bigger packs with visible characters over totally blind packed single packs. I'll put up with more expensive blind packs if I really like the doll/figure but I really wish they weren't packed like that.

You should give Rainbow High a shot despite the lack of any kind of supernatural/fantasy angle. They are like if Rainbow Brite and the Color Kids grew up and went to high school. I'm so glad they decided against the "Peel the Rainbow" concept and made them into their own thing. The show is pretty fun too.

Av by Moonflower.

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2021, 09:51:52 AM »
I don't own any Rainbow High dolls but Amaya Raine is my favorite and reminds me very much of Rainbow Brite. :D

Ponyfan

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2021, 02:40:13 PM »
I don't care for Rainbow High, sorry. Something about the faces... Normal human dolls don't tend to appeal to me in general, honestly. Not a big Rainbow Brite person, either.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal