collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: G5 Media News, movie is now out on Netflix!  (Read 57329 times)

Offline Baby Crumpet

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rainbow Curl Pony
  • Never too many Tex's!
    • View Profile
Re: G5 Media News, movie is now out on Netflix!
« Reply #615 on: October 18, 2021, 02:57:16 PM »
I only recently had a free moment to sit and watch the film... Not sure when the spoiler-free time ends, so I've popped my thoughts under a spoiler!

Spoiler
I quite enjoyed it, actually. More than I was expecting to. A lot of the main crew do seem to feel a little like re-hashes of the mane 6 from G4, but I think they have enough that keeps them their own characters. Which is interesting, because although I'd say that Izzy is eerily similar to Pinkie Pie (who always irritated me), I really like her. There's a lot of charm there, she's EASILY my favourite. The songs are pretty good, too - the one that Sprout sings (the mob song) is astoundingly catchy.

The ending did feel a little rushed, but I did enjoy how silly and farcical the villain was. Honestly, I don't have too many complaints with the film. I had low expectations that it certainly exceeded - and I quite enjoyed the hour and a half that I sat down in bed to watch it!

OH, and I love that there are main male characters. Hitch is adorable.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

:glitter: Thank you to Nence and starrynights for my signature and Trinity for my avatar :glitter:
Wishlist

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #616 on: October 18, 2021, 03:51:46 PM »
@Baby Crumpet - I have the same weird feeling about Izzy. I liked her a lot, whereas Pinkie Pie is one of my least favourite characters in G4.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline brightberry

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #617 on: October 18, 2021, 04:07:52 PM »
I liked it!  I don't think it will be a movie I watch over and over again but it had some cute moments.  I loved Izzy's house.  I didn't care much for the more modernized cities and suburbs, but they've been official pony for a long time now.  I don't expect that to change.
Sig art by SquarePeg!

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #618 on: October 23, 2021, 04:52:44 PM »
Tried to watch,  couldn't finish it. Felt average,  and I had that same annoyed feeling in my gut when they tried to make Smurfs and Ferdinand more modern. Although it was nowhere near as awful as the Smurfs movie. Some of the voices are pleasant,  some sounded like they wanted to be over the top, but were too embarrassed and tried to tone it down halfway. The use of every pony still annoys the crap out of me.

But as long as kids dig it, it doesn't matter. I can still enjoy the toys
« Last Edit: October 23, 2021, 05:31:14 PM by Leave a Whisper »
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline MJNSEIFER

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Scribbles Pony
  • Brony For All Ponies
    • View Profile
« Reply #619 on: October 24, 2021, 12:59:41 PM »
I never got the vibe they were "trying to be modern" myself when I watched it - it just seemed like they were naturally including modern-ish things as it was part of the storyline and/or what they wanted to do, the same way Tales and Pony Life ultimately feels, in my opinion.

I'm not sure if it annoys me anymore (if it did), but I think I get what you mean - I never saw the movies you mentioned, but I remember seeing the the trailer for one of the Angry Birds movies (which I've also not seen) and there was a joke about the birds tweeting something, and I was like "Oh yeah, because Twitter exists..." so it did kind of feel like they were trying to stay up to date, or something (though, I could have gotten that wrong), so I do kind of get what you mean, even though I never felt like G5 was doing that, because it seemed so naturally included to me, but I respect your opinion.
I will confess to being a brony, but I assure you that the things you may not like about them do not apply to me, I mostly keep the fandom name due to nostaligia, but I do genuinely love MLP as a whole, not just FIM, and not just the popularity of FIM - I genuinely love the show (and all the others)

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #620 on: October 25, 2021, 09:29:57 AM »
I would like a ritual burning of the term everypony. We didn't need it for 20 years. We don't need it now. Basically.

It just sounds massively patronising and (especially in G4), kind of exclusive considering that there were a lot of non-pony species. I don't know if that will happen in G5, so it may not matter, but it still needs to go.

|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #621 on: October 25, 2021, 09:38:32 AM »
I would like a ritual burning of the term everypony. We didn't need it for 20 years. We don't need it now. Basically.

It just sounds massively patronising and (especially in G4), kind of exclusive considering that there were a lot of non-pony species. I don't know if that will happen in G5, so it may not matter, but it still needs to go.

:iconclap: :good:  :beerchug:

Offline MJNSEIFER

• Scribbles Pony
  • Brony For All Ponies
    • View Profile
« Reply #622 on: October 25, 2021, 09:44:43 AM »
I personally like it as an alternative, and out of nostalgia (but respect those who don't), but I don't like it as a replacement - I'm actually going to try to make it seem like an alternative in my project, as it never made sense as a replacment (ponies have bodies, and can be one pony - there was nothing human about saying "everybody" or "everyone".)

So yeah, it should have been an alternative in my opinion.  I also didn't like hater-bronies made a song and dance about "everybody" being said on previous generations, when they (presumably) didn't butter their eyes at it being said on G4.
I will confess to being a brony, but I assure you that the things you may not like about them do not apply to me, I mostly keep the fandom name due to nostaligia, but I do genuinely love MLP as a whole, not just FIM, and not just the popularity of FIM - I genuinely love the show (and all the others)

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #623 on: October 25, 2021, 09:55:30 AM »
"everypony" instead of "everybody" is bad but "everycreature" is worse to me.  When FIM started the story line about the School of Friendship they started using that when talking to animals that aren't ponies.

Ponyfan

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Offline TheBeatlesPkmnFan42

• Rapunzel Pony
  • Can buy, but cannot sell/trade
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #624 on: October 25, 2021, 10:53:31 AM »
"everypony" instead of "everybody" is bad but "everycreature" is worse to me.  When FIM started the story line about the School of Friendship they started using that when talking to animals that aren't ponies.

Ponyfan

Yeah, "everypony" is very silly but at least it still rolls off the tongue as easily as "everybody" does. "Everycreature" sounds so awkward and clunky due to having more syllables, and it's very weird that they would use that rather than just "everybody".

Snupps|MLP Discord server|Instagram

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #625 on: October 25, 2021, 11:06:13 AM »
I've said it before, I'll say it again, I just don't get WHY "everypony" exists in the first place. Everybody, everyone, how are those "human-specific" terms??? We don't say "everyhuman"!!! It just sounds so stupid and forced.

"Everycreature", oh my god... gotta hand it to them, I never thought they could get worse than "everypony", but there you have it. x)

Offline Minty_Magic

• Trade Count: (+27)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #626 on: October 25, 2021, 11:23:26 AM »
When I have to go back to the office I’m going to address my team as “Hey Everycreature!!” And just see how bad that goes over. :lol:

Everypony was silly, but it never bothered me much one way or the other. Everycreature though was just stupid. At some point you’ve got to admit your cutesy little word games aren’t working anymore and go back to everyday terms. :huh: As it’s already been pointed out, they all have bodies….that’s not like, and exclusively human thing.

Thank you to Squarepeg for my avatar!

Offline Wardah

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #627 on: October 25, 2021, 12:01:57 PM »
I've said it before, I'll say it again, I just don't get WHY "everypony" exists in the first place. Everybody, everyone, how are those "human-specific" terms??? We don't say "everyhuman"!!! It just sounds so stupid and forced.

"Everycreature", oh my god... gotta hand it to them, I never thought they could get worse than "everypony", but there you have it. x)

Tbh "everyhuman" has the same problem "everycreature" has. It just doesn't roll off the tongue. "Everykid" does exist and I think "everypony" is similar to that. Like kids have bodies too so it isn't necessary but language is like that.
Seeking Cutie Princess toys by Chap Mei!!

Also seeking brown Novi Stars fakies, and Punzels.

Av by Moonflower.

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #628 on: October 25, 2021, 12:37:46 PM »
When I have to go back to the office I’m going to address my team as “Hey Everycreature!!” And just see how bad that goes over. :lol:

Everypony was silly, but it never bothered me much one way or the other. Everycreature though was just stupid. At some point you’ve got to admit your cutesy little word games aren’t working anymore and go back to everyday terms. :huh: As it’s already been pointed out, they all have bodies….that’s not like, and exclusively human thing.

I demand to know the result of this. :silly:

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #629 on: October 26, 2021, 12:57:18 AM »
I personally like it as an alternative, and out of nostalgia (but respect those who don't), but I don't like it as a replacement - I'm actually going to try to make it seem like an alternative in my project, as it never made sense as a replacment (ponies have bodies, and can be one pony - there was nothing human about saying "everybody" or "everyone".)

So yeah, it should have been an alternative in my opinion.  I also didn't like hater-bronies made a song and dance about "everybody" being said on previous generations, when they (presumably) didn't butter their eyes at it being said on G4.

In fairness, that kind of bronies have so little legitimacy when talking about anything pony that this doesn't surprise me. But imagine how inadequate you have to be to mock an actual word in general use in the English language because you're that insecure about your fandom space? It's really just bizarre, and totally separate from whether everypony is stupid.

The irony is that everybody is one of those words in English that is already inclusive, doesn't need amending because it refers only to one gender, doesn't need reconsidering because it can refer only to one type of living entity.

In short, it embodies everything that FIM claims to include among its values...unlike everypony, which makes out only ponies matter. Everycreature I haven't heard till now, but clearly someone pointed out to them that they had a word problem, and they choked and spat up that as a solution. They could just have gone back to everybody or everyone - actual words in our language that exist - but...apparently not.

It makes me curious to know how this is translated into other languages. I'm already imagining that Japanese probably uses minna-san, since there's no cute mutation I can think of to incorporate the same effect as 'every pony'. It's hard to know for sure, but if it's also lost in translation, that adds extra layers to the exclusivity aspect.

Mind you, there are other shows where they do this in English at least, but where it doesn't carry over into the translation.

I seem to remember Monster High was also guilty of some awkward and unnecessary word mutations, as well as, like G4, mutated place names. Just gah. Stop it. Kids aren't that stupid, they don't need special words. Teach them real words. They'll need them when they grow up.

Regarding nostalgia. This is nothing personal, but it's really hard as a G1 person to think on anything from G4 as being nostalgic yet, even for the fandom.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2021, 01:01:07 AM by Taffeta »
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal