collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: G5 Media News, movie is now out on Netflix!  (Read 57351 times)

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
G5 Media News, movie is now out on Netflix!
« on: January 29, 2021, 10:08:14 AM »
Original post in spoiler:
Spoiler
Spoiler
Figured that it would be good to separate the media from the toy stuff.  ^.^
Hi, I'm Tailrust/Tealeaf, and I've been googling My Little Pony, going to the "News" tab, and then sorting by most recent. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.
Today I found something on a Kidscreen article. I suggest reading the whole article but I put the important bits below:
The introduction of new characters and a departure from designs featured in Friendship is Magic and Pony Life is intended to shift the brands focus to more modern themes like diversity and inclusion.
The moviess main character, for example, is an activist working to make the pony world a better place.
Instead of abandoning the franchises characters and stories, the movie will take place in the same world featured in Friendship is Magic and Pony Life, but jump ahead in time to focus on a new generation of ponies and unexplored corners of Equestria. This creates opportunities to include nods to the propertys previous iterations, both in upcoming content and consumer products offerings.
4/30/2021:
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

I know a lot of you won't be happy about the reuseage of Equestria, but I enjoy seeing past generations hinted to so I think I would like to see a lot of hints to pre-G4 stuff. Probably G1 if anything, but I'm hopeful for others.
I'm also very excited for the merchandise stuff, but that's probably just me.  :awake:
Reminder that the movie comes out September 24th, 2021. I put all that we know so far (officially) on this wiki page.

---
2/11/2021: Now we have a mention of a TV show, which I think we were all expecting, but this is the first we're hearing about it from an official source:
And eOne will begin reimagining popular Hasbro franchises. My Little Pony is getting a TV show reboot, for example. Goldner said more upcoming projects will be announced at the company's investor day on February 25.
---
2/12/2021: In a turn that doesn't surprise anyone, the movie's distribution has been picked up from Paramount by Netflix for worldwide distribution ASIDE from China, where eOne is doin' that.
Paramount Pictures was originally set to distribute the film, which had been scheduled to open in theaters on Sept. 24, 2021. Hasbro’s entertainment studio Entertainment One produced the movie and will retain distribution rights in China.

Though the exact release date is unclear, “My Little Pony” is expected to land on Netflix later this year.
And directors:
Robb Cullen and Jose Ucha directed the upcoming installment with Mark Fattibene. Cecil Kramer and Peter Lewis served as producers.
I tried to find the directors past filmography and didn't see much of interest.
Reviving so I can sort of keep things neat and organized and others don't have to do much scrolling through pages.
For all news so far, check my Movie wiki page. I reference when I can and try to keep it up to date.
Highlighting newest news:
4/30:

Zipp Storm and Pipp Petals animation reveal on 4/9: Youtube Link. They are sisters.
Trademarks filed on 2/25 recently unearthed give us full names for other ponies: Zipp Storm and Pipp Petals. There is also a related trademark for "Priness Petals". Pipp is the pink pegasus from the bedsheet leak a bit back, while we only have small images of Zipp from the investor event.

Literally. That's it.
5/22 Movie title is "My Little Pony: Pony Tale".
5/29 Nevermind, movie title is "My Little Pony: A New Generation" according to Boulder's site. Pranked?
Also posting a movie summary so we can all stay on the same page:
In the new movie, the pony world of Equestria has lost its magic. Friendship and Harmony have been replaced by paranoia and mistrust, and Ponies now live separated by species. Sunny - a feisty and idealistic young Earth Pony - is convinced there’s still hope for this divided world, but her slightly misguided and often hilarious efforts to change hearts and minds have led to her being branded a misfit. When Sunny befriends a lost Unicorn named Izzy, who wanders innocently into the Earth Pony town of Maretime Bay, the town has had enough. Izzy and Sunny must embark on an epic adventure that will include a daring jewel heist, outrageous conspiracy theories, elaborate musical numbers, and the world’s cutest flying Pomeranian. Their adventures will take them to faraway lands and force them to challenge the status quo by facing their fears and making new friends out of old enemies. The world Sunny has dreamed of her entire life could finally become a reality as Sunny and her newfound friends fight to prove that even little ponies can make a big difference.

6/30: Voices!

8/13: Trailer!

9/3: Glowin' Up, previously heard in the Singing Star Princess Petals toy, has been officially released (There are Youtube reuploads if the linked song doesn't work-it releases midnight local time so it only just became available to me a few minutes ago).

Just a little over 20 days to go until the movie releases..

9/15: Fit Right In, previously heard in the Singing Izzy Moonbow plush, has been released in Korean alongside animation from the movie.

9 days left!
« Last Edit: September 24, 2021, 01:44:41 PM by tailrustedtealeaf »

Sig by Starscout <3

Offline SweetLemons

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain Jack Pony
  • "Ganbaruby!"
    • View Profile
Re: G5 Media News
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2021, 10:45:49 AM »
Welp.

I am so sorry to everyone who wanted the Mane 6 gone, because even as a G4 fan I've gotten so sick of the rereleases, and yet, Hasbro still disappoints.

The good news is they won't be the focuses which is great, but how much y'all wanna bet these new characters will fill in the generation main cast plagues? We had the Core 7, the Mane 6, and now whatever the heck these new characters will be. I just want the ponies to be cute, that's it. If I don't like the designs I'm out.

But I'd be lying if I said I'm not somewhat excited about the movie. I want to see what it looks like before I cast my final judgements, and even though I'm okay with it taking place in the G4 world, I imagine a good lot of you aren't, and for that, I truly weep. It shouldn't have gotten to this point, but it did.

Also, I'm glad we dodged the bullet of the idea that the cast would be the Mane 6 with a twist. If it was that, I would scream bloody murder.

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2021, 10:56:20 AM »
Also, I'm glad we dodged the bullet of the idea that the cast would be the Mane 6 with a twist. If it was that, I would scream bloody murder.
Haha don't even joke about that, it'll give them ideas.  :yikes:

I'd reallly love to see some sort of design! Hopefully with the investor call next month we can at least get a sillhouette.

Sig by Starscout <3

Offline SweetLemons

• Captain Jack Pony
  • "Ganbaruby!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2021, 10:59:30 AM »
I'd reallly love to see some sort of design! Hopefully with the investor call next month we can at least get a sillhouette.

I have a pretty good feeling we're gonna get a reveal soon. My money is on that investor call, and if it doesn't get dropped there, it'll probably be either leaked by toy previews or randomly revealed. Pony Life's existence was detailed on some random Friday in November. Since this is a pretty big deal for Hasbro I don't think we're gonna be waiting too much longer.

Offline Pokeyonekenobie

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2021, 11:18:26 AM »
I am okay with it being set in Equestria, but I would love if there was some visit to/mention of Dream Castle/Paradise Estate as a nod to the original series.  I do hope that they don't keep releasing the G4 Mane cast instead of releasing the new characters that they've promised to create.  Let's face it, there are definitely too many Pinkie Pies...

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2021, 12:43:11 PM »
Genuinely don't care where it's set, I just want new characters!! I fully expect we'll get a new set of main characters that'll be re-released into oblivion, but, y'know, as long as they're new characters...

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2021, 01:55:09 PM »
At this point, I don't give a flying rat turd about the cartoon after the awfulness that is PL, as long as the toys return to well-made, pretty horseyness and diverse, balanced lines like G1 and G3.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2021, 02:24:18 PM by Leave a Whisper »
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline starrynights

• Takara Fakie
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • Tinsel Enthusiast, Fakie Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2021, 02:26:30 PM »
I'm perfectly fine with it being in Equestria and references to older characters as long as the mane 6 doesn't take over.
Plus....chance for more Luna

Online lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2021, 03:52:12 PM »
Sadly I am not even excited.  :( 
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline Pokeyonekenobie

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2021, 03:57:34 PM »
Genuinely don't care where it's set, I just want new characters!! I fully expect we'll get a new set of main characters that'll be re-released into oblivion, but, y'know, as long as they're new characters...

Of course they'll be new.  It will be the great granddaughters of the Mane 6, who look just like them and are named after them...but they're totally new characters.   :coffee:

At this point, I don't give a flying rat turd about the cartoon after the awfulness that is PL, as long as the toys return to well-made, pretty horseyness and diverse, balanced lines like G1 and G3.

I haven't watched any of PL, the part of a trailer I saw hurt my head too much for me to want to see it at all, so I'm hoping that G5, whatever it ends up being, isn't like that.  Otherwise, I'll just focus on the toys instead of watching any of the cartoon.

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2021, 04:11:24 PM »
Pokeyonekenobie!  :scared: Go sit in the corner, and think about what you just said.  :rant:

;)
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline TheBeatlesPkmnFan42

• Rapunzel Pony
  • Can buy, but cannot sell/trade
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2021, 10:17:13 PM »
This doesn't really sound like anything we didn't know before? Besides the main character being an activist thing. But I thought we already knew it would take place in Equestria but with new main characters...?

In any case, I'm fine with that as long as the new main ponies don't get spammed in the toyline as much as the Mane 6 did. G4 is the least fun generation to collect for me when it comes to the main toyline and that's because of the lack of character variety. I hope Hasbro can improve themselves in that regard.

Snupps|MLP Discord server|Instagram

Offline PinkieLopBun

• Mighty Morphin Power Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2021, 04:24:21 AM »
This doesn't really sound like anything we didn't know before? Besides the main character being an activist thing. But I thought we already knew it would take place in Equestria but with new main characters...?
I think there might have been some speculation that it would take place in Equestria, but I don't believe it was confirmed until now.
Follow me on Twitter and Tumblr.

Offline SunPony

• Trade Count: (+49)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2021, 08:41:47 AM »
After reading the article I'm intrigued by the non-toy products hinted at.  Maybe we could see something like pony soaps with a different color and scent for each character.
Thanks to Shimmlight for the new avatar image  :biggrin:

Offline Zapper

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2021, 12:36:09 PM »
At first I was delighted to read about new characters and the possibility of different designs to make ponies look not as samey. But then I got to the parts about the main character being an "activist" and everything taking place in the same world as FiM. The FiM canon is patchy and there were so many things that didn't make sense. Such as the role of princesses and why the heck they even existed. And on the other hand the world was so humanesque at times, it hardly felt like MLP. I don't want MLP stuck on that, tbh.

The stuff about activism to "make the world a better place" sounds like it will be even preachier than FiM, if that is even possible. I'm interpreting a lot into that one sentence, I know, but I am dreading some kind of "equalism!" type character. Sort of like the people you encounter on tumblr or twitter, because... what other kinds of activism are en vogue right now? Environmental activism would need the ponies to behave disgusting, such as drilling for oil, throwing trash in the ocean, killing for sport, etc. - and I was hoping they'd get away from having ponies mimic humans.

So eh, I am not getting my hopes up anymore. I'll wait and see and hopefully there will be an actually diverse range of characters (and not just based on girly stereotypes and themes).

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal