collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: What are you currently reading?  (Read 8295 times)

Offline Griffin

• Staff
  • Trade Count: (+89)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • aka Haawan | she/her
    • View Profile
    • Haawan Pony Customs
What are you currently reading?
« on: January 19, 2021, 04:07:00 AM »
It's been a while since we had one of these, right?  :read: So, what are you reading rn? :)

I just finished a book last night, a memoir by the Chinese author Hong Ying. (The original title is 好儿女花, apparently it hasn't been published in English yet? Mine was a Finnish translation, of course.) I think I've read something from the same author before, Daughter of the River rings some bells... not sure about that, though.

It was actually refreshing to read in Finnish for a change, I don't do that a lot anymore... I guess I should branch out a little and also read Finnish authors. :P And books translated from languages other than English.

Next up is The Raven Tower by Ann Leckie, recommended by a friend.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

deviantART | Haawan Pony Customs | Aithne reference
Avatar by FizzyScrumptious, signature by tailrustedtealeaf - thank you ♥

Offline Ponybookworm

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • MOC Mimic
  • All Pony Literature appreciated!!!
    • View Profile
Re: What are you currently reading?
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2021, 09:08:35 AM »
When not reading (or writing) my own stuff I'm beta-reading a story by a fellow Arena member.

Because of all the writing it's been a while since I dove into a book...
My Mascots (so far): Twisty Tail, G2 Trixiebelle, Starcatcher, Twilight Sparkle. All variants & pictures of these are appreciated. Piccies courtesy of Griffin, Blumiere, Littlebabyribbon, & Starscout

Offline BlackCurtains

• Mad Scientist
  • Trade Count: (+69)
  • Orange ponies are the best.
    • View Profile
    • BlackCurtains Crafts
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2021, 09:51:42 AM »
I'm reading a non-fictional book about cats. It covers the history of cats in culture around the world, past and present wild cat breeds and all
domestic cat breeds. I have an encyclopedia with all the domestic cat breeds but this new book offers more information and of course, has its own pictures of all the pretty kitties :)

Instagram | Facebook
Commissions are Closed
Avatar and sig by Mione (offsite)

Offline Pokeyonekenobie

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2021, 09:57:45 AM »
I'm going to stalk this thread for recommendations.  :D  I work in a library so I'm surrounded by books but I never really know what to pick up next.  I tend to listen to books on CD because I can do that in my office while I work on other things. 

If anyone is looking for something to read, I really enjoyed "Stalking Jack the Ripper" and "Bloody Jack."  Both are series and the audiobooks are excellent as well.

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2021, 10:31:18 AM »
If audible counts, I just finished the first volume of Tenshi no Kiba by Oosawa Arimasa and have just begun the second. My audiobook is in Japanese. Audible has Japanese books. I am so happy about this discovery :D

I don't know if it has an English translation, but just in case, I'll give a summary and such in spoilers below. I think it has a movie or drama adaptation since something comes up for it on IMDB but I'm sticking with the book.

I thought to begin with it was just a regular detective story set around major organised crime but...I was a bit wrong.

The Japanese are interesting sometimes.

Summary
Spoiler
Detective Kouno Asuka is assigned by her boss to go protect the former girlfriend of mob boss Kimikuni, Hatsumi. Someone leaks their meeting place and Kimikuni sends people to kill Hatsumi, with Asuka getting caught in the crossfire.

Six months later Asuka wakes up in Hatsumi's body, having had her brain transplanted into Hatsumi after the injuries both suffered. Convinced by her former boss to go under cover to try and trap Kimikuni once and for all, she is the bait in a trap.

At the end of book one, Asuka has just about realised that her former partner and would be fiance is probably not the one trying to kill her, and has just about managed to escape from one man who definitely was.

To be honest, there have been a few moments where I've just thought that the main character would make a terrible detective, because she jumps to all the wrong conclusions so much of the time. But the concept is so weird that I am sticking with it.

In terms of physically reading, I haven't since Christmas when I was rereading St Clares by Enid Blyton. Which is a bit of a contrast to the above ;)
« Last Edit: January 19, 2021, 10:34:44 AM by Taffeta »
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline LadyAmalthea

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2021, 10:34:41 AM »
If anyone is looking for something to read, I really enjoyed "Stalking Jack the Ripper" and "Bloody Jack."  Both are series and the audiobooks are excellent as well.

I read a book recently about the victims of Jack the Ripper...it was really interesting! I never knew he only had 5 victims; he is always portrayed as this serial killer who ran a massive reign of terror over the streets of London over a long period of time, but the crimes really were all carried out in a matter of weeks. The book, I wish I could remember the name and author (I'll have to check my archived library downloads), paints an intriguing and appalling picture of Victorian London as it tells about each woman's life and the twists of fate that eventually brought them to such a grisly end.

Right now I'm reading my third book by Anne Patchett...I tend to get stuck on one author for a while, mostly out of laziness. I listen to a lot of audiobooks, since I'm driving at least 3-4 hours a day during the week.

Offline Miniature Sheep

• Crystal Dolphin Warrior
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Barry, you're so optimistic...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2021, 10:41:02 AM »
I'm going to stalk this thread for recommendations.  :D

Same here!

At the moment, I'm reading 'Folklore, Myths and Legends of Britain'; it starts out with chapters on particular themes, then covers folklore from specific regions around Britain and finishes with a section about significant historical figures. There are some absolutely amazing woodcut illustrations in there, and a lot of information about the origins of traditions, songs and sayings. It's keeping me suitably occupied! :D

Offline Griffin

• Staff
  • aka Haawan | she/her
    • View Profile
    • Haawan Pony Customs
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2021, 02:25:27 PM »
If audible counts, I just finished the first volume of Tenshi no Kiba by Oosawa Arimasa and have just begun the second. My audiobook is in Japanese. Audible has Japanese books. I am so happy about this discovery :D

Sure they count! I don't do audiobooks myself so I tend to forget. I guess I should give them a chance but I fear I'd be too restless to just sit and listen, and trying to multitask would probably break my focus. :P (I can't draw and listen at the same time, for example - I would always start doodling during lessons and lectures and only later realise that I was so concentrated on my drawing I'd stopped listening completely XD )

Offline Pokeyonekenobie

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2021, 03:27:18 PM »

Sure they count! I don't do audiobooks myself so I tend to forget. I guess I should give them a chance but I fear I'd be too restless to just sit and listen, and trying to multitask would probably break my focus. :P (I can't draw and listen at the same time, for example - I would always start doodling during lessons and lectures and only later realise that I was so concentrated on my drawing I'd stopped listening completely XD )

That's funny because I feel like I spent so many years taking notes during lectures that if my hands aren't busy I can't pay attention.  I almost never sit down and watch TV or listen to anything without a craft or video game of some sort in my hands.

Offline SunPony

• Trade Count: (+49)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2021, 03:46:00 PM »
Right now I'm working on a diary of John James Audubon from the early 1800s.  It is really interesting and surprisingly hilarious and relatable.  He likes to use as many exclamation points in a row as possible at times  :lol:  If he lived today he would definitely be doing this:  "My wife is my best friend and I love her so much!!!!!!!!!1"

Next I think I'll get a mystery novel by Tess Gerritsen, a friend let me borrow a book by her and I really liked it so I think I'll try another.
Thanks to Shimmlight for the new avatar image  :biggrin:

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2021, 03:55:32 PM »
I can watch football or TV documentaries and have the PC on at the same time, but with audiobooks I want to listen to the story, so generally was listening to them while travelling. No travelling for a while though...so I've taken to listening to them before bed.

I really have to be in the right mood though.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline LordBlumiere

• keykid in a police box
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • doctor heart stealer
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2021, 06:02:29 PM »
Oooh, good thread!

I'm reading the Kingdom Hearts light novels--I just picked up the one for the first game. Sometimes I just want a light read, and it's nice to have a familiar story written down like this :lovey:

they/them, he/him, xie/xir/xirs
grail: princess silver swirl (original)

Offline Griffin

• Staff
  • aka Haawan | she/her
    • View Profile
    • Haawan Pony Customs
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2021, 11:20:43 AM »
Next up is The Raven Tower by Ann Leckie, recommended by a friend.

Finished this and now reading N. K. Jemisin's Dreamblood books :)

Offline Beldarna

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://www.freewebs.com/beldarna
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2021, 11:50:47 PM »
I'm currently reading The Sisters Grimm by Menna Van Praag (fantasy) and The Crossing Places by Elly Grifftihs (crime).

Offline Koudoawaia

• Storm Dragon
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Dragon with the heart of a guinea pig
    • View Profile
    • FA Gallery
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2021, 10:57:06 AM »
I'm reading Flight of Dragons in the Dragonfire Rain trilogy by Daniel Arenson. It's the latest trilogy in his Requiem series which are about a race called the Vir Requis who are people that can shift into dragons and are usually hunted to near extinction by one enemy or another in these trilogies but I still can't put them down. Warning about the fact they do get pretty graphic at times though.

Many thanks to FairieFalls for my sig image and many thanks to Shaiyeh for my avatar :art:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal