collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: What are you currently reading?  (Read 8502 times)

Offline Pokeyonekenobie

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
Re: What are you currently reading?
« Reply #45 on: March 17, 2022, 12:21:15 PM »
Reading Lord Brocktree from the Redwall series by Brian Jacques again. Love that series and my copy is falling apart a bit. >>

I love that series.

The Wingfeather series, I am on book 3. I jumped in funding the animated series without reading the books. It looked super cool. So far the story and characters are amazing.

Sounds interesting.  I'll have to get my hands on it.

Offline Koudoawaia

• Storm Dragon
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Dragon with the heart of a guinea pig
    • View Profile
    • FA Gallery
« Reply #46 on: April 16, 2022, 11:55:55 PM »
Now I'm reading Book 7 in the Wings of Fire series, Winter Turning. Bought a hardback copy of it at Half Price Books cuz I forgot I already had the ebook and then overlooked it apparently when I was checking my Kindle library before I bought it =p
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Many thanks to FairieFalls for my sig image and many thanks to Shaiyeh for my avatar :art:

Offline BlackCurtains

• Mad Scientist
  • Trade Count: (+69)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Orange ponies are the best.
    • View Profile
    • BlackCurtains Crafts
« Reply #47 on: April 17, 2022, 02:57:25 PM »
I just read a study about reading on a screen vs reading from an actual book. People who read the books could visualize better and retained more information and details than those who read from a screen. The researchers don't know why but think it has something to do with the way humans interact with the physical world vs virtual world. I thought it was interesting. If I can find it again I'll link to it.

Belltock Raincurl
Commissions are Closed
Avatar and sig by Mione (offsite)

Offline Gator

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 17, 2022, 04:17:08 PM »
Warrior, A starless clan

Offline Lady Frostbite

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
  • Absolutely Abbeylicious!
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 24, 2022, 11:01:40 AM »
Finished (Name of Book) by (Author) about a famous/infamous organisation I shant name here because they can be quite quick with lawsuits and such. I wasn't a fan of the book's format but I wanted to finish it right to the end.

I got a preview of a couple of books on Kindle, two of them about Jimmy Savile, the infamous monster. One I thought I would like less as it has first-person narrative, something I normally don't like. But I was more drawn into that than the other sample, mostly because it has the telling of Savile's own words about his own life, which makes his crimes more horrific as you KNOW what he was later found to have been doing. I've yet to read my other sample book about the aforementioned organisation.

I'm just happy I'm getting back into reading again  :cheer: I was being super hard on myself for ages as I thought I had lost my ability, or rather, my compulsion to read but looks like it's coming back!

Signature image artwork done by the talented Starscout!
MLP Gameloft game friend code : 29c831

Offline Koudoawaia

• Storm Dragon
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • FA Gallery
« Reply #50 on: May 24, 2022, 12:14:20 PM »
Reading Mossflower which is my favorite Redwall book so my copy  of that is pretty beat up too XP

Many thanks to FairieFalls for my sig image and many thanks to Shaiyeh for my avatar :art:

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #51 on: May 26, 2022, 02:42:03 PM »
I have a bunch of audiobooks on the go. I'm also reading a lot of academic stuff, on and off. And the Yuukoku no Moriarty light novel 1, where Louis is conflicted by his aquarium fish.

I always end up with multiple books on the go. I bought my kindle for reading on journeys, though, and then COVID stopped journeys. And then I got into audible so my poor kindle is kind of...unloved right now.

I'm not surprised about screen vs real reading. When doing any kind of academic work I can never do reading on a device, I have to have it on paper. Whatever language it is in. And same if I'm proofing my work. I miss things on screen.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Koudoawaia

• Storm Dragon
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • FA Gallery
« Reply #52 on: June 16, 2022, 08:01:26 PM »
Still on my Redwall kick. Reading Mariel of Redwall now as well as the graphic novel version of The Dark Secret from the Wings of Fire series. I have the regular novel versions of the first 8 books and I love the artwork in the graphic novel versions of the first five books.

Offline Twizel

• Switchblade Kitten
  • Trade Count: (+35)
  • Dazzle Surprise
  • This crown gives me a feeling of power! POWER!
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 16, 2022, 08:02:40 PM »
I am reading three books right now:
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter series)
Kushiel's Avatar (Kushiel's Legacy series)
Sword of Destiny (Witcher series)

Offline Eskara1862

• Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+172)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Fern Fiend
    • View Profile
    • The New Gray Mare
« Reply #54 on: June 18, 2022, 10:29:34 AM »
I just signed up for my library's Summer Reading Program! First book is Dinotopia: A Land Apart From Time by James Gurney. I figure I'll start out with an old favorite to help get back into the habit of reading.

Offline Griffin

• Staff
  • Trade Count: (+89)
  • aka Haawan | she/her
    • View Profile
    • Haawan Pony Customs
« Reply #55 on: June 18, 2022, 01:50:51 PM »
I just signed up for my library's Summer Reading Program! First book is Dinotopia: A Land Apart From Time by James Gurney. I figure I'll start out with an old favorite to help get back into the habit of reading.

Ooh I loved Dinotopia as a kid! Although my sister probably loved it even better, she was very much into dinosaurs at some point. :D

The summer reading programme sounds fun!

I'm not currently reading anything, unless you count the Musketeers which I haven't touched since last year, haha. I may have mentioned this before but for several years now I've had a low-key goal of reading more (for fun, academic literature doesn't count...) and my 2022 started strong! 14½ books read so far, one I didn't finish. That's a lot for me, considering I've only managed about 20 books per year for the last couple of years. Now it's been some time since I completed the previous book, I have one lined up but haven't felt like starting it. It's The Bone Ships by RJ Barker, no idea what it's going to be like, I just randomly picked it off the library shelf.

Here's some highlights, though! I have a friend who's an avid reader (and a writer, too) and I know she has an excellent taste so I've been going through her list of recommendations from a few years back. Most of these I picked from her list.

The Ten Thousand Doors of January and The Once and Future Witches by Alix E. Harrow
The Wayfarer series by Becky Chambers (I'm generally more into fantasy than scifi but these books are sooo good! Comforting, too :heart: )
The Starless Sea by Erin Morgenstern (I've previously read The Night Circus from the same author and can warmly recommend both of these)
The Fifth Season by N. K. Jemisin (looking forward to the second part of the trilogy! I think I've already made a reservation, should check the status)

...and the most recently completed, Strange the Dreamer by Laini Taylor, some very good YA fantasy here!

deviantART | Haawan Pony Customs | Aithne reference
Avatar by FizzyScrumptious, signature by tailrustedtealeaf - thank you ♥

Offline Koudoawaia

• Storm Dragon
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • FA Gallery
« Reply #56 on: June 18, 2022, 09:39:00 PM »
The one Dinotopia book I have I chose as a prize in my library's Summer Reading Program years back if I remember right^^

Reading the graphic novel version of The Brightest Night in the Wings of Fire series now.

Offline tikibirds

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+104)
  • The more people I meet, the more I like my dog!
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 09, 2022, 02:06:08 AM »
Little Mushroom
Until the day humanity falls.”

In the year 2020, Earth’s magnetic poles disappeared and humankind was nearly wiped out by cosmic radiation. Within the span of a hundred years, living creatures began to mutate and devour each other while the remaining humans, numbering in the tens of thousands, struggled bitterly in their man-made bases.

In the Abyss, home to the mutated xenogenics, there lived a sentient little mushroom. Because it had been nourished by the blood and flesh of the deceased human An Ze, not only did it take on a similar-looking human form, but a similar name as well: An Zhe.

An Zhe is determined to go to the human base to search for his spore, which had been harvested by humans. Once there, however, he faces the omnipresent risk of discovery and certain death as he tries to keep his non-human nature hidden from the Judges, whose responsibility is to inspect for and eliminate xenogenics like himself. And of all the Judges, Colonel Lu Feng is the most perceptive and merciless—as soon as he determines that someone is a xenogenic, he will execute that person on the spot.

But An Zhe’s mutation goes undetected by Lu Feng’s eyes, and so a tale of humans and xenogenics unfolds…

Follow me in Instagram - https://www.instagram.com/midnight_fox_fire/

Offline katrine2309

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Every day is someone's birthday - celebrate it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 09, 2022, 06:31:35 AM »
Oh! I love to read- all kinds of things really :)

Right now I have several reading projects. I am re-reading Fables (complete series) by Bill Willingham. I love these! They are graphic novels about fairytale characters that has to flee their homeworlds into our world. Love the concept!

I am also reading some childrens book as I am a teacher and I like to read the books before recommending to my students or using them in the classroom. Right now I am reading Northern Lights by Malin Falch. It is a series of books (comic book style) about a young girl that get transported into a world where she meets lots of characters from Norwegian superstition, such as trolls and Huldra. We also meet people based on the viking culture as well as the Sami people. Recommend it! And it is translated to English ;) Perfect for 10-14 year olds!

I really recommend books by Shaun Tan. They are easy to read as they are picture books (but for older children, grown ups and teenagers). I love studying the pictures and the hidden meanings about society and history. My favs are The Rabbits, The Cicada and The Arrival (no words in the last one!!). I use them in my English class with my students. So beautiful books!

I love Dinotopia :heart: I have the two first stories. It was some of my most favorite  books as a kid.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2022, 06:34:43 AM by katrine2309 »
Visit my Flickr for doll & pony pictures!

My wantlist - pony wear, backcards & puffy/flat stickers

Looking for Puffy Stickers: Ripple (seapony), Gypsy and Gusty on original backing

Offline Koudoawaia

• Storm Dragon
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • FA Gallery
« Reply #59 on: July 09, 2022, 07:54:55 AM »
In my apparent goal to re read the entire Redwall series in chronological order, I am now reading The Bellmaker from that series.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal