Pony Talk > Pony Corral

What do you use for pony photography backdrops? Props?

(1/6) > >>

Minty_Magic:
Hey guys!

I finally got a proper light box to photograph my ponies with, and it’s awesome! Being a night owl, I appreciate having nice lighting at all times of the day. :lol: However, I’m already sooo bored of the few solid color backdrops it came with, so I’m looking for ideas on alternatives!

For info, my light box is one of those collapsible box ones. I think it’s 20in x 20in, so it’s pretty big! The backdrops it came with feel like they are some sort of thick, but flexible vinyl? Plastic? Not 100% sure. They are one solid piece that drapes from the back of the box to the floor. They are secured on by Velcro strips.

I was thinking of buying some fun scrapbook paper when I first bought it, but when I see how big it is, I actually don’t think that will work! I bought some poster board to paint, but that will be kinda hard to store and make multiple backdrops with. I was thinking maybe wrapping paper could work? I can cut it to size and probably get some different varieties cheap at the dollar tree. Are there any other materials that you like to use for a backdrop?

Also, what kinds of props do you like to use in your photos? Are there any other toy lines that are in scale with My Little Pony? I’d love to make more “scene” type pictures, but I often struggle to find accessories that look right with them. I’m also open to props just to give a basic shot some more pizzaz! I already bought some of those glass stones from dollar tree to scatter in the pics. They also had some fairy garden fence that looked like it might scale well, so I picked that up too.

Of course feel free to share some of your favorite pics to show me what youre working with! ;) I appreciate any suggestions you guys have!

LadyAmalthea:
Curious to see what people respond with...I'm a terrible photographer, have a not-so-great phone camera, and I live in the woods so I have hardly any natural light in my house. I'm embarrassed that most of the pictures of ponies I post are taken in the bathroom, because it has the best lighting. I want to be able to take pics with playsets as a backdrop, but again, lighting is the biggest problem. Your light box sounds interesting, I look forward to seeing whatever pics you end up taking in it!

If you are an artist at all, you could always draw/paint your own backdrops! Castle scenery, pastures, fantasy-type scenes perhaps.

tailrustedtealeaf:
I just use scrapbook paper and such. I'm still adjusting to taking proper photos with my larger lightbox, but smaller paper isn't usually a big deal for most pony sizes.

BlackCurtains:
I like the wrapping paper idea, colored tissue paper is another option. I use scrapbook paper and colored cardstock mostly but sometimes I'll use some of the fabric I have or even bedsheets and blankets.

As for props, seashells, river rocks, beads, tumbled gemstones, swarovski rhinestones, driftwood, aquarium scenery, dollhouse miniatures. There's lots of stuff. I think the Rement minis are scaled to G1 and G3 ponies. They're kind of expensive though.

starbritesprinkles:
I started experimenting this year with scrapbook paper and PC wallpaper-sized backgrounds that I print. In the past, I have used fairy garden accessories from Michaels, which can get expensive unless there's a good sale/coupon, and LPS accessories. My daughter also has some fun Peppa Pig and LOL toys that have pony-sized accessories. I'm not the best at it, which is part of my purpose of posting a pony a day, but you can check out my Instagram (link in sig) to see what I've done.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version