collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: What do you use for pony photography backdrops? Props?  (Read 2114 times)

Offline Minty_Magic

• Trade Count: (+27)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
What do you use for pony photography backdrops? Props?
« on: January 18, 2021, 06:25:54 AM »
Hey guys!

I finally got a proper light box to photograph my ponies with, and it’s awesome! Being a night owl, I appreciate having nice lighting at all times of the day. :lol: However, I’m already sooo bored of the few solid color backdrops it came with, so I’m looking for ideas on alternatives!

For info, my light box is one of those collapsible box ones. I think it’s 20in x 20in, so it’s pretty big! The backdrops it came with feel like they are some sort of thick, but flexible vinyl? Plastic? Not 100% sure. They are one solid piece that drapes from the back of the box to the floor. They are secured on by Velcro strips.

I was thinking of buying some fun scrapbook paper when I first bought it, but when I see how big it is, I actually don’t think that will work! I bought some poster board to paint, but that will be kinda hard to store and make multiple backdrops with. I was thinking maybe wrapping paper could work? I can cut it to size and probably get some different varieties cheap at the dollar tree. Are there any other materials that you like to use for a backdrop?

Also, what kinds of props do you like to use in your photos? Are there any other toy lines that are in scale with My Little Pony? I’d love to make more “scene” type pictures, but I often struggle to find accessories that look right with them. I’m also open to props just to give a basic shot some more pizzaz! I already bought some of those glass stones from dollar tree to scatter in the pics. They also had some fairy garden fence that looked like it might scale well, so I picked that up too.

Of course feel free to share some of your favorite pics to show me what youre working with! ;) I appreciate any suggestions you guys have!
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thank you to Squarepeg for my avatar!

Offline LadyAmalthea

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
Re: What do you use for pony photography backdrops? Props?
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2021, 06:42:46 AM »
Curious to see what people respond with...I'm a terrible photographer, have a not-so-great phone camera, and I live in the woods so I have hardly any natural light in my house. I'm embarrassed that most of the pictures of ponies I post are taken in the bathroom, because it has the best lighting. I want to be able to take pics with playsets as a backdrop, but again, lighting is the biggest problem. Your light box sounds interesting, I look forward to seeing whatever pics you end up taking in it!

If you are an artist at all, you could always draw/paint your own backdrops! Castle scenery, pastures, fantasy-type scenes perhaps.

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2021, 06:59:04 AM »
I just use scrapbook paper and such. I'm still adjusting to taking proper photos with my larger lightbox, but smaller paper isn't usually a big deal for most pony sizes.

Sig by Starscout <3

Offline BlackCurtains

• Mad Scientist
  • Trade Count: (+69)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Orange ponies are the best.
    • View Profile
    • BlackCurtains Crafts
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2021, 07:57:24 AM »
I like the wrapping paper idea, colored tissue paper is another option. I use scrapbook paper and colored cardstock mostly but sometimes I'll use some of the fabric I have or even bedsheets and blankets.

As for props, seashells, river rocks, beads, tumbled gemstones, swarovski rhinestones, driftwood, aquarium scenery, dollhouse miniatures. There's lots of stuff. I think the Rement minis are scaled to G1 and G3 ponies. They're kind of expensive though.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2021, 08:04:06 AM by BlackCurtains »

Belltock Raincurl
Commissions are Closed
Avatar and sig by Mione (offsite)

Offline starbritesprinkles

• Trade Count: (+29)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • The Lyrical Vault | she/her/hers
    • View Profile
    • StarbriteSprinkles
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2021, 09:25:31 AM »
I started experimenting this year with scrapbook paper and PC wallpaper-sized backgrounds that I print. In the past, I have used fairy garden accessories from Michaels, which can get expensive unless there's a good sale/coupon, and LPS accessories. My daughter also has some fun Peppa Pig and LOL toys that have pony-sized accessories. I'm not the best at it, which is part of my purpose of posting a pony a day, but you can check out my Instagram (link in sig) to see what I've done.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2021, 09:27:17 AM by skig »

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2021, 09:46:04 AM »
For backgrounds I use old nature calenders.
I've found some adorable mini food erasers at the 99 Cent store.
Botbots
Colorful cloth i.e. towels, sheets, sewing cloth, wash cloths

Small Playsets. I have a Swimming pool that I made with paint, stickers, and a potato salad container, Harry Potter, Pretty Parlor, Lil Woodzees and a Shopkins

I'd also suggest doll house accessories

Here is a picture with my Lil Woodzees playset.

https://www.deviantart.com/littlekunai/art/Fluttershy-Out-Shopping-857863934

Here's one with food erasers and the Shopkinz playset.

https://www.deviantart.com/littlekunai/art/Chiffon-850834673

Here's one with sewing cloth and a text box app.

https://www.deviantart.com/littlekunai/art/Mellow-Yellow-Flutter-Ponies-843108527

Here's one with a nature calender.

https://www.deviantart.com/littlekunai/art/Moonstone-and-Fizzy-Cross-the-Cascades-812747466

Here's one with a botbot.

https://www.deviantart.com/littlekunai/art/Twerple-Burple-s-Prank-pt-Two-792431390
« Last Edit: January 18, 2021, 10:01:22 AM by Leave a Whisper »
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2021, 10:09:04 AM »
I feel like I'm not very good at pony photography.   :blush:  I do enjoy taking pics.

For backgrounds I usually use a plain colored comforter or towel. A couple of times I used a blue towel and green one to try to make sky and grass.

Spoiler

For props I use whatever I think will work with the ponies.  I made a lot of photos with the movie baby sea ponies making mischief.  Sometimes Barbie accessories or My Life as are a good size for photos. 

Spoiler

Ponyfan

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2021, 10:10:20 AM »
I feel like I'm not very good at pony photography.   :blush:  I do enjoy taking pics.

For backgrounds I usually use a plain colored comforter or towel. A couple of times I used a blue towel and green one to try to make sky and grass.

Spoiler

For props I use whatever I think will work with the ponies.  I made a lot of photos with the movie baby sea ponies making mischief.  Sometimes Barbie accessories or My Life as are a good size for photos. 

Spoiler

Ponyfan

How cute

Offline Noasar

• Armour Plated Pony
  • Trade Count: (+34)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • Little Starglow Ponies
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2021, 10:13:08 AM »
Wrapping paper works well - also coloured card!

I have some photos of my setup and lamps on my Instagram: little_starglow.

Also a good tip is to turn your phone camera upside down so that the lens is more on the same level as your subject :)

Offline LadyAmalthea

• Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2021, 03:06:04 PM »

I love these! The Lil Woodzees playset reminds me of something I owned as a child...I think the characters it came with actually were called Woodzees; I wonder if yours is a modern incarnation of the ones I had?

Also, do you remember which 99-cent store you got the erasers at? My son was making a 'bakery' out of blocks this weekend, and he would have loved these!

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2021, 04:12:09 PM »

I love these! The Lil Woodzees playset reminds me of something I owned as a child...I think the characters it came with actually were called Woodzees; I wonder if yours is a modern incarnation of the ones I had?

Also, do you remember which 99-cent store you got the erasers at? My son was making a 'bakery' out of blocks this weekend, and he would have loved these!

It could be? I don't know anything about the brand's history.

The store is called The 99 Cent Store. I found them last year.

Offline LadyAmalthea

• Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2021, 08:15:11 PM »
Aw, we don't have that one here, darn it! Just Dollar Tree and Family Dollar, I believe. Oh well, they are cute anyway!

So I had to do a Google search to see the toy I was thinking about, and it was a line of toys called Woodsies, unrelated from the sounds of it, with little animals (I think they were actually finger puppets), mostly squirrels, that lived in a soft log house that came with furniture. I also had the general store, which came with squishy produce baskets that would fit into either the wheelbarrow cart or the store window. I was going to try to copy and paste the link, but my phone doesn't seem to want to cooperate tonight.

Offline Minty_Magic

• Trade Count: (+27)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2021, 07:00:47 AM »
YES thank you everyone, this is exactly the kind of stuff I’m looking for! :biggrin:
For backgrounds I use old nature calenders.
I've found some adorable mini food erasers at the 99 Cent store.
Botbots
Colorful cloth i.e. towels, sheets, sewing cloth, wash cloths

Small Playsets. I have a Swimming pool that I made with paint, stickers, and a potato salad container, Harry Potter, Pretty Parlor, Lil Woodzees and a Shopkins

I'd also suggest doll house accessories

Here's one with sewing cloth and a text box app.

https://www.deviantart.com/littlekunai/art/Mellow-Yellow-Flutter-Ponies-843108527

Here's one with a nature calender.

https://www.deviantart.com/littlekunai/art/Moonstone-and-Fizzy-Cross-the-Cascades-812747466

Here's one with a botbot.

https://www.deviantart.com/littlekunai/art/Twerple-Burple-s-Prank-pt-Two-792431390
These are great! I’ll have to look into the Lil Woodzee playsets, it looks like that’s a perfect scale for the smaller ponies. I’ve picked up some of the Shopkins real littles line, even though they can be a little big, they are close! The calendar is also brilliant, I hadn’t thought about that!

Spoiler

Spoiler

Ponyfan
I always love your baby sea pony photos! :) The towels are actually perfect for grass, the texture looks pretty close! And here I was wondering if I could find a really small piece of Astro turf somewhere. :lol:

I’m going to take a look through my house and try to find some more inspiration in items I already have. It sounds like I was slightly over thinking the size of the light box and that regular paper should still work, so I will experiment some with that. :) I do plan to make some of my own backdrops too! I’ll be painting the poster board at some point. I am just lazy and want a full studio NOW haha!

Thank you to Squarepeg for my avatar!

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2021, 07:29:51 AM »
Aw, we don't have that one here, darn it! Just Dollar Tree and Family Dollar, I believe. Oh well, they are cute anyway!

So I had to do a Google search to see the toy I was thinking about, and it was a line of toys called Woodsies, unrelated from the sounds of it, with little animals (I think they were actually finger puppets), mostly squirrels, that lived in a soft log house that came with furniture. I also had the general store, which came with squishy produce baskets that would fit into either the wheelbarrow cart or the store window. I was going to try to copy and paste the link, but my phone doesn't seem to want to cooperate tonight.

If I see anymore food erasers, do you want me to snag him a case?

Lil Woodzees do have animal toys, but they are more akin to  cheaper Sylvanians.

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2021, 08:10:57 AM »
Thank you Leave a Whisper and Minty_Magic. :) I’m glad people enjoy my photos. I’m inspired to take another baby sea pony pic but I need to get motivated to get all the pieces together that I want to use.

I never realized that the towel looked really close to grass.

Ponyfan

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal