collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Year of release nirvanas  (Read 1784 times)

Offline IceCrystal02

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
Year of release nirvanas
« on: January 17, 2021, 06:20:44 AM »
I sort my ponies according to year and I also have an excel spreadsheet with all my ponies plus those on my wish list and some stats like set, pose, year of release etc. I haven't yet managed to find any reliable info on Nirvana release dates. Can anybody help me with the year of release for these ponies:

• Greek Blue Belle with light blue hair
  • Greek Baby Blue Belle with light blue hair
  • Greek Ladybird / Paschalitsa (Easter pony)
  • Yellow Greek Medley
  • Yellow Greek Baby Medley
  • Macau Lemon Drop "Snuzzledrop"
  • French Bubbles
  • French Bow Tie
  • Spanish Flutterbye
  • Yellow Peruvian Medley
  • Yellow Peruvian Baby Medley
  • Argentinian Moondancer with light pink hair

Offline pinkkittywinks

• Trade Count: (+452)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Princess Kittywinks
    • View Profile
    • Etsy ~ Shadow on the Moon
Re: Year of release nirvanas
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2021, 08:55:43 AM »
I have no idea I’m afraid, but it’s certainly made me think.

The license was sold to small toy companies and factories in each country. The license will have included an expiry date. We know Greece continued to make ponies well after the license expired, many of them were exported. Other countries such as Venezuela and Argentina also continued to use Hasbro moulds to make, what are technically fakies, after the license expired. However, they didn’t card them and sell them as “official”, like El Greco did.

Personally, sorting the nirvana ponies in to their correct sets in the nirvana gallery was a personal triumph :blush:

I guess you could hope that someone who had these ponies as a child could clue you into a date/year, especially if they were given as a Christmas or Birthday gift (or Easter gift, if you are thinking about the Greek ponies). Toy or toy fair catalogs would be another source of information.

Spain Flutterbye ( is she Spain marked or NC? Are her symbols purple or orange?) was released with the Pony Arco Iris, this set includes: Confetti, Moonstone, Pinwheel, Flutterbye, Tickle and Trickles. The backcard from that set is dated 1988. You can see it on Trickles’s backcard in the nirvana gallery.

https://pinkkittywinks.wixsite.com/mlparenagallery/spain

Love pkw xxx
« Last Edit: January 17, 2021, 08:57:41 AM by pinkkittywinks »
RedBubble Etsy Instagram Facebook

Get 10% off your order from my Etsy shop with the code MLPARENA10

Offline IceCrystal02

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2021, 10:13:33 AM »
Yes, I thought this might be difficult, as we don't have nearly as much info on the nirvanas as on the regular European, UK and US releases.

So Greece continued to make the same ponies as before the licence expired, or did they create new variants after that (other colours, perhaps other symbols as well)? Very interesting, I really appreciate these snippets of information.  :D

Yes, I suppose that's the only way of finding out, but who still remembers in which year they were given a certain pony? I certainly don't, I can't even remember where we used to buy them, let alone who was with me when I selected them.  :blink: I think I selected most (or all) myself, I can't remember being given one as a surprise for Christmas or as a birthday present.

But catalogues would definitely be an insightful source of information, I'll bee keeping my eyes peeled for Greek catalogues in particular then.  :)

I don't have Spanish Flutterbye yet - well, I had one, but I bought her for a friend and liked her so much that I decided to get her for myself as well at some point. She had orange symbols and I think she was NC. Most Spanish ponies I've seen on ebay so far seem to be NC.

Offline pinkkittywinks

• Trade Count: (+452)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Princess Kittywinks
    • View Profile
    • Etsy ~ Shadow on the Moon
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2021, 01:38:46 PM »

So Greece continued to make the same ponies as before the licence expired, or did they create new variants after that (other colours, perhaps other symbols as well)? Very interesting, I really appreciate these snippets of information.  :D

It was the Unicorns and Pegasus  and Rainbow ponies :) It is mentioned in the Greek Spotlight ;) When I started collecting in the early 00's there was an EXPOLSION of MOC Greeks on eBay, many in Scandinavian countries as well as Greece.

http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,394147.new.html

Take a look at the other spotlights too ;)

http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,390275.0.html

Love pkw xxx
RedBubble Etsy Instagram Facebook

Get 10% off your order from my Etsy shop with the code MLPARENA10

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal