collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: German Butter Kiss / Waffelchen  (Read 2202 times)

Offline IceCrystal02

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
German Butter Kiss / Waffelchen
« on: January 16, 2021, 04:42:54 AM »
Is there a way to tell if a pony is indeed the German variant of Butter Kiss or if she's just a rehair? How do you tell if you see one for sale, so don't have the possibility to open her and check how her hair looks inside? Also has her price really gone up that much that she's now worth around £200 (I've recently seen two in that price range)?

Offline pinkkittywinks

• Trade Count: (+452)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Princess Kittywinks
    • View Profile
    • Etsy ~ Shadow on the Moon
Re: German Butter Kiss / Waffelchen
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2021, 01:36:54 PM »
I loooove Wafflechen :) She is such a pretty pony :)

Taffeta's website is always a good place to start :bigups:

http://www.etherella.com/scrapbook2/butter_kiss.htm

I checked mine and both the blonde version and aqua version have the same hoof marks China, no PAT PEND.

Love pkw xxx
RedBubble Etsy Instagram Facebook

Get 10% off your order from my Etsy shop with the code MLPARENA10

Offline IceCrystal02

• Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2021, 02:10:33 PM »
I had already checked Taffeta's website, that's what I always do first.  :)

Ah, ok, that's good to know that there are also regular versions made in China, because I checked mine and she's Hong Kong, so I thought this might be something to tell them apart, but obviously not. So it looks that they are otherwise identical, which makes it a big risk buying one if you have no idea if she's the real variant, especially now when prices seem to have skyrocketed for whatever reason.  :huh:

Offline pinkkittywinks

• Princess Kittywinks
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2021, 03:13:39 PM »
I always start with Taffeta's site as well.

Oooh I had a funny feeling that the Sundae Best ponies can have Hong Kong hoof marks as well :huh: You can get an NC version of them as well.

Does your Hong Kong pony have the PAT PEND stamp or has it been erased?

ETA: just found this while having a search :)

http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,299008.msg256386.html#msg256386

http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,329479.msg816750.html#msg816750

http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,385255.msg1628876.html#msg1628876

Yikes! There seems to be a whole spread of hoof marks >_<

Love pkw xxx
« Last Edit: January 16, 2021, 03:25:55 PM by pinkkittywinks »

Offline IceCrystal02

• Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2021, 03:21:10 PM »
Ah, ok, I didn't know about the NC version. Do we know where these were made? China or Hong Kong?

No, mine doesn't have a pat pend stamp and it isn't erased either. These are my girl's hooves:

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

I (or someone in my family) bought her here in Switzerland all these years ago.  :)

Offline pinkkittywinks

• Princess Kittywinks
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2021, 03:28:59 PM »
I edited my previous post as i found some threads on her hoof marks.

You don't often come across the NC Sundae Best ponies, I think they sneak through under the radar in peoples collections as they are obviously different. The carded one I have seen was on a Spanish language card, I never thought of asking about the small print details >_<

https://pinkkittywinks.wixsite.com/mlparenagallery/nocountry?pgid=kcs3jfak-951c0936-2bcf-4cbd-94fc-2a34089d329e

Love pkw xxx

Offline IceCrystal02

• Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2021, 03:48:20 PM »
Ah, that's interesting, as all other NC ponies I've seen so far (on the internet and one I bought for a friend) were Spanish ponies, so do you think it's possible that the NC Sundae Best Ponies were actually made in Spain as well, or just sold there?

Also interesting to see that she seems to have come with a different comb than the regular and the German versions.  :)

Offline pinkkittywinks

• Princess Kittywinks
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2021, 09:07:35 AM »
Ahhhhh that is an interesting subject, some NC ponies are definitely Spanish, but others leave me with questions, like the Wingers. Backcards aren’t helpful since HK ponies have shown up on cards marked “made in Valencia, Spain”.

Love pkw xxx

Offline IceCrystal02

• Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2021, 09:58:13 AM »
Ah, ok, that's good to know that back cards can be misleading at times. I knew some ponies came with the wrong back cards, but not this. Very interesting, thanks for sharing!  :thumb:

Online Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2021, 03:32:26 PM »
:hug: both :)

The ones sold in the US and Canada are more commonly made in Hong Kong. European ones are more commonly China, although as has been mentioned there are also NC ones floating around which PKW doubtlessly knows much more about than me ;) I have also only seen a MOC one on a spanish card but I forget which one it was.

It's interesting that HK ones were available (maybe without PP, I will have to brave the stinky and go look at mine since my HK one is American) in Switzerland.

Do you know if they came with clips in Switzerland as well or not? In the North American release they had clips but not here in the UK, despite being advertised with them on the leaflet. As much as I don't like this set for being smelly and weird looking, they are kind of interesting with their release quirks.

These ponies were out during that window where both HK and China ponies were being made, and I tend to think of China as being later in production...
« Last Edit: January 24, 2021, 03:34:36 PM by Taffeta »
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline IceCrystal02

• Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2021, 04:22:25 PM »
:hug: both :)

The ones sold in the US and Canada are more commonly made in Hong Kong. European ones are more commonly China, although as has been mentioned there are also NC ones floating around which PKW doubtlessly knows much more about than me ;) I have also only seen a MOC one on a spanish card but I forget which one it was.

It's interesting that HK ones were available (maybe without PP, I will have to brave the stinky and go look at mine since my HK one is American) in Switzerland.

Do you know if they came with clips in Switzerland as well or not? In the North American release they had clips but not here in the UK, despite being advertised with them on the leaflet. As much as I don't like this set for being smelly and weird looking, they are kind of interesting with their release quirks.

These ponies were out during that window where both HK and China ponies were being made, and I tend to think of China as being later in production...

Good of you to chime in Taffeta.  :hug:

Interesting that European ponies are more commonly China. I've just checked my excel spreadsheet and filtered my childhood ponies in order to find out if I can detect a pattern as to where the ponies sold here were made. The first few years we mainly got Italy ponies, except for the babies of course - and Majesty, they were made in Hong Kong. Then all ponies I have/had except for the flutters and princess ponies were made in Hong Kong, with 1988 being my last pony purchase year. Also quite interesting is that I had China Big Top and Toppy, but HK Fleecy and Fluffy.

I'm almost 100% sure the Sundae Best ponies came without clips over here. Compared to other countries' releases, we seem to have always got the versions with the fewest accessories. Some of the babies came with a plethora of accessories (Baby Firefly and Baby Glory for example) elsewhere, but ours just had a bottle. The princesses came without companion and, as already mentioned, I'm pretty sure the Sundae Best ponies didn't have clips.

Online Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2021, 05:11:15 PM »
Aside a few exceptions, the switchover to China from HK seems to be around 1987-8, but it's not entirely consistent and some sets have both, like Sundae Best, Loving Families and Summer Wings. Although I've never found a China made Summer Wing here, all the weird frankenstein summer wings (like the UK princesses, with the wrong parts) I've seen have China bodies ><.

Brush and Grows are another, but the China ones are really hard to find and mostly seem to come from mainland Europe as well.

It may just be that the batch that got shipped and packed for Switzerland were made in HK and not in China and that's just coincidence. It's easy to overthink it as important...

I didn't have any Sundae Best from new so all my information is second hand (literally). xD I do know my HK Butter Kiss and Banana Surprise (the only ones I have from HK I think) are from the US. All the others except Waffelchen and the unicorn with purple hair (I don't know her German name) are from carboots here in the UK.

Majesty made in China only seems to be in certain countries in Europe. But my sister has found at least one here. So *shrug*. Whereas Lemon Drop made in China is quite common here.

|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline pinkkittywinks

• Princess Kittywinks
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2021, 06:44:23 AM »
I was hoping you'd see this thread.

Aaaaahhhh 1987-88 :throw: I had a funny feeling that Sundae Best ponies where involved in that. I have a couple of Banana Surprises with varying hoof marks, I don't have a NC one though. I will have to brave a pony avalanche to check them out in a bit.

From the Nirvana Gallery, both are NC marked.

Saved on my PC, so I am not sure who owns the image >_< I am wondering why I didn't find this image when I went looking for it earlier for sharing in this thread.

Comic advert

This always confused me, showing them with the Perfume Puff Palace..... however, it makes me think that they were released a year later in Germany rather than "standard US" release dates. This would fit with Germany seemingly getting everything almost a release year later.

Love pkw xxx

Online Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2021, 06:55:26 AM »
That last image shows the reason I can never remember the German name for the unicorn in the set. :)

Awesome images PKW <3.

I think the MOC may belong to Einhornbaby but I might be remembering incorrectly.

I haven't had a chance to get at my stinky crew yet. PIP form took precedence. Will try later this week to see if their hooves say anything interesting.

I know I don't have a NC one though.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline IceCrystal02

• Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2021, 02:03:01 PM »
Interesting pics, thanks PKW!  :hug:

I didn't know that Spain also made Sundae Best ponies. They look identical to the normal HK/China release, at least at first glance. I also can't detect a difference between regular and aqua haired Butter Kiss, so I reckon there is no way to tell if she's the real variant or a rehaired regular version.

Unfortunately I can't remember how my Sundae Best ponies' backcards looked like, but I think they were about the same as aqua haired Waffelchen's. German text and no clip. I do remember having Posey pose Twisty Tail though, she's one of two ponies I distinctly remember owning, but weren't in my pony bag when I found them in the garage again after all these years.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal