collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Jan-Feb Coronavirus News  (Read 6256 times)

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
Re: Jan-Feb Coronavirus News
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2021, 05:51:22 AM »
NZ is a great example of how to keep it out if you start early and maintain restrictions.

I don't honestly think that Europe stood a chance of succeeding though, because of all the different countries, governments and the open border policies that allowed so much movement early on. The frustration that I have is that we are a bunch of islands who could have shut off transport if we had wanted to, but didn't. And then made it worse by letting idiots go on holiday in the summer, bringing back yet another variant of the virus with them.

Much press about the recent UK found one, the SA one and the Brazilian one, but there was a Spanish one in September that was found in UK people coming back from holidays in Spain. Only a proportion of people who should have quarantined then did, and so here we are.

But I really think that open borders across Europe...while often a great thing...did not help in this pandemic.

We are where we are, though.

UK nations remain in lockdowns with some differences betwen regions. Numbers are said to be stabilising in some areas due to this. Schools are closed till at least February half term. But there are some concerns that too many businesses are finding loopholes. People keep being fines for driving long distances and giving stupid excuses as to why, like 68 miles to 'go to mcdonalds'. And such like.

The numbers in my ward area have halved since the new year. That's got to be good news.

...Still waiting for a vaccine hub to actually open in this part of the borough. But the MP and Council Leader have both talked about such sites aznd the MP said one should open in January, so we hope for the best.

UK is beginning to vaccinate categories 3 and 4 although not all of 1 and 2 are done yet. Mum and Dad are in those categories.

I believe the UK has vaccinated around 3.5 million people in the health worker/over 80s category but some areas have done more than others. The N.E seem to be the most successful so far.

The govt claim they are vaccinating more people per day than are getting infected. Which is lovely, but I still just want to know there's a vaccine hub within walking distance where my parents can get vaccinated by the deadline the govt set for completing categories 1-4 (Feb 15th).
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline starrynights

• Takara Fakie
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • Tinsel Enthusiast, Fakie Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2021, 04:36:41 PM »
In the US here. It's chaos. More people are dying of COVID every single day than on 9/11. Many are anti-vax. The few who do want vaccines cannot get it. The supply of second doses the government claimed to have was a lie. The states are begging for help and the government won't help. The stimulus check has been delayed for months. People refuse to wear masks because it's been made into a political issue. A large portion of the government and many people were exposed to COVID due to the insurrection attempt on the sixth. Hospitals are full and turning people away. If you go to the hospital with something other than COVID you may get it due to the lack of PPE.

Offline SpacePinto

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2021, 05:06:26 PM »
In the US here. It's chaos. More people are dying of COVID every single day than on 9/11. Many are anti-vax. The few who do want vaccines cannot get it. The supply of second doses the government claimed to have was a lie. The states are begging for help and the government won't help. The stimulus check has been delayed for months. People refuse to wear masks because it's been made into a political issue. A large portion of the government and many people were exposed to COVID due to the insurrection attempt on the sixth. Hospitals are full and turning people away. If you go to the hospital with something other than COVID you may get it due to the lack of PPE.

This makes me so angry, specially the insurrection part. Hang in there across the pond!
Inka Dinka Doo

Offline Beth3346

• Trade Count: (+91)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • she/her/hers - Baby Mint Dreams by Lady Satine
    • View Profile
    • My Little Pony Collection
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2021, 06:45:11 AM »

This makes me so angry, specially the insurrection part. Hang in there across the pond!

Yeah I'm so angry about the behavior of lawmakers who refused to put on masks during the insurrection. This sets such a poor example. My childhood image of our country's leaders has been forever shattered by the last 4-5 years. I thought people who ran for office at least cared about the country. I'm sure it's not new. I just never paid much attention before.

At least 2 congresswomen tested positive in the days after. I just hope they are going to be ok.

Thanks SpacePinto :) I'm very nervous about this week. Hopefully everything will go smoothly and we can get back on track.
Current Grails - Dutchies, Princess Variants PM me if you have any for sale - Want List

Offline Pokeyonekenobie

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2021, 07:30:29 AM »
Well as far as the vaccine goes, I went yesterday to get tested for the antibodies.  I have them so I feel like getting the vaccine at this point would be redundant and a waste when it could be used for someone else who doesn't have the antibodies and might react badly to getting covid.  I had no symptoms at all and only got tested for covid because my mom tested positive.  Otherwise, I would have gone on my merry way with no idea I could make people around me sick.  But unless I come across one of the mutated strains and the antibodies that I have aren't effective, I don't think I'll get it again. 

Don't worry, I am still wearing a mask and following all the precautions, I'm just not overly concerned that I am going to catch anything at this point.

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2021, 08:33:54 AM »
TBH coming from lockdown 3.0, I am amazed how much stuff is still open and operating in the US. Nightclubs haven't been allowed to open here since last march. Pubs are closed, restaurants are closed, except for take out. Shops are closed, except for click and collect (which is being challenged as high risk) and online delivery. Driving to places a long way from home will get you a fine. Only essential stores are allowed to open, although some other industries like construction are also operational. Schools are closed, except for the kids of key workers - although some parents are sending their kids anyway. We have our share of COVIDIOTs here as well but most people seem to be knuckling down. In our area a recent poll said 82% supported the lockdown measures. Certainly in our ward people all seem to be complying with rules about distancing, masks, etc.

We are dealing of course with the more virulent virus strain which began to spike here in December. but most areas of the country cases re starting to plateau again. Just at high levels.

We've vaccinated around 4 million people so far. Apparently it's going well. If you believe the govt. I think having the AstraZenica option has helped a lot in terms of distribution. We are just hanging on in there.

« Last Edit: January 19, 2021, 08:35:37 AM by Taffeta »
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline glitterball

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Be kind and sparkly!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2021, 09:18:27 AM »
Well as far as the vaccine goes, I went yesterday to get tested for the antibodies.  I have them so I feel like getting the vaccine at this point would be redundant and a waste when it could be used for someone else who doesn't have the antibodies and might react badly to getting covid.  I had no symptoms at all and only got tested for covid because my mom tested positive.  Otherwise, I would have gone on my merry way with no idea I could make people around me sick.  But unless I come across one of the mutated strains and the antibodies that I have aren't effective, I don't think I'll get it again. 

Don't worry, I am still wearing a mask and following all the precautions, I'm just not overly concerned that I am going to catch anything at this point.

That's an interesting situation - I heard the same conversation on a radio phone-in a few days ago, that the caller felt that they did not need the jab as they had antibodies from their previous infection. The doctor suggested that the caller should still go ahead and take the vaccine though.

I suppose that if you are unsure, that you need to discuss the benefits with your healthcare provider, as you mention, how it is effective at protecting against catching a future mutated strain :)

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2021, 09:29:50 AM »
TBH coming from lockdown 3.0, I am amazed how much stuff is still open and operating in the US. Nightclubs haven't been allowed to open here since last march....In our area a recent poll said 82% supported the lockdown measures. Certainly in our ward people all seem to be complying with rules about distancing, masks, etc.
Of course we talk about Covid in most of my business classes...my International Marketing professor went over how different countries seem to have specific traits that are seen as ideal for the whole country. USA, unsurprisingly, is very Masculine and Individualistic. Who knew.
It's really a combination of factors though so I can't pin the blame fully on the people who aren't going to wear masks correctly (seriously, why don't most of these masks have nosepieces? Everyone's nostrils are out) and insist on indoor dining...there's no government help for businesses that need to close for safety so it's really a choice of possibly getting sick or being unable to feed yourself. Essential workers or waitresses are pretty much screwed. A perfect storm, basically. Doesn't help that the people willing to patronize the struggling restaurants or shops often are the kinds to not care and to bring a whole cavalcade of folks. I don't want to paint everyone going out to eat as that sort of person because it's a delicate thing to want to support local businesses, but...you know.

My mom just got her second jab today! 1/5. Woo. Hopefully the rest of us get it soon, no word on when we enter 1B for distribution.

Well as far as the vaccine goes, I went yesterday to get tested for the antibodies.  I have them so I feel like getting the vaccine at this point would be redundant and a waste

I'm curious about this! I know some people have gotten Covid twice before, but whaaat if. Would be cool if I already had the antibodies because I was in contact with a coworker who tested positive but blood drawing...no thanks. 

Sig by Starscout <3

Offline Pokeyonekenobie

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2021, 09:48:53 AM »

Well as far as the vaccine goes, I went yesterday to get tested for the antibodies.  I have them so I feel like getting the vaccine at this point would be redundant and a waste

I'm curious about this! I know some people have gotten Covid twice before, but whaaat if. Would be cool if I already had the antibodies because I was in contact with a coworker who tested positive but blood drawing...no thanks.

The test I did was just a finger prick, like when my mom tests her blood sugar.  And the test only took 15 minutes at the Smith's pharmacy.  They put a small amount of your blood in this little plastic tester and let it sit.  After 15 minutes if a line shows up, then it found the antibodies (it's a little like a pregnancy test except you don't pee on it :lol:).  Now, the downside of this particular test is they can't tell you how much of the antibodies you have, but the doctor at the pharmacy told us if the line is there, you have it no matter how dark/light the line is. According to my brother's father-in-law (who is a doctor) once you hit a certain number of antibodies then they consider you immune.  Though, knowing what I do about how our bodies work (and maybe my information is wrong) once you have the antibody your body will create more as necessary.  So the only thing I should have to worry about is the new strains as I don't know how similar they are to the one I had and I don't know if my current antibodies will be enough.

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2021, 10:12:57 AM »
That's so interesting! I hope they do some more research on that. If supplies are limited then it would certainly help if we could determine a person's immunity beforehand.

Sig by Starscout <3

Offline Cin77

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2021, 09:42:24 PM »
We remain at Level 1 - Prepare.
Things are 90% normal. If you have a cold or are unwell you have to wear a mask but that's it. We must scan into the covid tracker everytime we enter somewhere new.
We have no cases in the community at all - all cases are at the border.

New Zealand
TOTAL | CONFIRMED | PROBABLE | DEATHS | RECOVERED | ACTIVE |
2222       | 1866            | 356          | 25         | 2120            | 77

ACTIVE IN COMMUNITY  | DAYS WITHOUT COMMUNITY CASES
0                                  | 57

New one today in the Community. First for 62 days and just down the road from me (not literally, its about 20mins out of town from here tho which is worrying)

Offline Minty_Magic

• Trade Count: (+27)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 24, 2021, 12:46:03 AM »
Vaccine slots in AZ are completely booked out through the end of February. We are still only in phase 1B which is for seniors 75+ and essential workers. My grandma dragged her feet on getting an appointment because we had to convince her the vaccine was safe. She is 82 years old and has COPD, she really needs this as soon as possible. It makes me mad so called “news” stations can run whatever junk they feel like. Shouldn’t there be SOME standard of presenting real, unbiased data? My grandma is frankly gullible and will believe anything she hears on the TV, and I know she’s not alone in that. Even my mom is starting to question if she thinks it’s safe, and she’s generally pretty rational.

I might be able to get my first dose on Tuesday. I managed to snag a spot as a general volunteer at our county’s main vaccine center and it sounds like volunteers all get vaccinated at the end of their shift? Don’t know if that’s still true with how short supplies are, but I’m excited to go help out anyway! I figure I can tell my family I saw hundreds of people get vaccinated and they were all fine. :P

Thank you to Squarepeg for my avatar!

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 24, 2021, 12:38:49 PM »
My godmother called my Mum today (and sent me 2 emails. She's a lovely lady but a bit like a human hurricane, so yeah xD) She's down south, she's had her jab already. She's younger than my Dad and not vulnerable like Mum, and she's worried about Mum because Mum hasn't had a letter, let alone a vaccine yet.

...She had the AstraZeneca vaccine and apparently it was fine.

Mum was trying to explain how phenomenally incompetent our county are at implementing anything designed for urban environments. It's frustrating because I just want my parents vaccinated and yet there are so many logistical issues in making it happen.

We hope Mum will get a letter at least this week, there's a good chance. And then we'll take it from there. Meanwhile I have found contact info for the local CCG and I'm going to ask them what possessed them to agree to our GP going in with a vaccine hub in a place most of their patients can't get to.

The FAQ even say it's 2 buses and a 10 minute walk. How many vulnerable seniors should be doing that at the moment? My mum has letters saying she isn't supposed to use transport...?!

I am so fed up with this. It's so hard hearing about everywhere else getting their vaccines and knowing that people here are just missing out. And it's not like it's the first time - this happens here ALL the time, which is why I don't want to live here longterm. But this time it's not just inconvenience but people's lives. The cases here are not going down - probably in part because the county has barely vaccinated half of it's over 80s yet.

Sorry to keep ranting about this but it's like having hope dangled in front of you but just out of reach, over and over again, after 10 months of sacrifice and shielding.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2021, 12:40:25 PM by Taffeta »
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Bright_Glow

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 04, 2021, 11:36:17 AM »
Well here in Hungary the government just extended its restriction and curfew rules we have since mid-November and this long time and fix set of rules seems working very well and the daily infection and death rates are slowly but continuously dropping.
This is a very good thing the light of the fact we have 12 officially detected case of the Covid-19's UK variant. :happy:

Now our government says it's too risky to start easing on the restrictions until we'll have safely enough doses of vaccine for the mass vaccination so it works hard on it even by buying Russian and Chinese vaccines too.

PS.: I got my first Pfizer/BioNTech vaccine shot on last Friday. :frolic:

Thanks to SDS and Valerie for my avie and sigs

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 05, 2021, 01:51:07 AM »
My parents had their first vaccine dose this morning. It took a long time to find safe transport, but hopefully we did. They were able to go to a hub on the outskirts of the local town, so the whole trip including vaccination took around an hour. They had the Astrazeneca one, and their second doses are booked for April.

...Feels a relief to know they've reached that stage.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal