collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Struggling w/modelling clay casting  (Read 2292 times)

Online ZeldaTheSwordsman

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • "Death to Eclipse" protests DA's dumb new UI
    • View Profile
Struggling w/modelling clay casting
« on: January 06, 2021, 03:44:58 PM »
So, I'm trying to reproduce some parts by making impressions of them with air-dry modelling clay and then using those impressions to mold more clay into copies of the parts.

But I've been having a problem of the clay "sticking" to the impressions too much.

Is there anything I can coat the inside of the impressions with to prevent this?
should be perma-moderated

Offline MintyMyndi

• Colorswirl Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Struggling w/modelling clay casting
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2021, 10:43:40 PM »
Try cornstarch or baby oil, depending on what type of clay. I don't know what types like what best, though, so test it for yourself!
Here's my ACNH creator code. I thought I might share it, since I have quite a few pony designs.
MA-2882-9995-3504

Online ZeldaTheSwordsman

• Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2021, 11:23:28 PM »
It's basically off-brand Play-Dough if that helps. And thanks for the tip.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Current things I'm trying to do.

Offline Shaiyeh

• Trade Count: (+78)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • Watch my Youtube!
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2021, 03:08:24 PM »
Maybe a glossy sealant? (that dries non-sticky/tacky. I hear mod podge can get tacky :) )
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thanks izard for my super cute ava and Starscout for my wonderful siggie!

Offline starrynights

• Takara Fakie
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • Tinsel Enthusiast, Fakie Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2021, 03:50:47 PM »
Use two different types of clay - like if you used paper clay for the mold use polymer clay for the piece.
Well, polymer clay in general tends to not stick to itself at all when dry from my experience.

Offline MintyMyndi

• Colorswirl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2021, 06:09:56 PM »
It's basically off-brand Play-Dough if that helps. And thanks for the tip.
The best thing I can recommend for that is to use a different clay! This site has recipes with things you may be able to find around the house and even tells you the strengths and weaknesses of each kind! If your piece is relatively small, the no-glue cold porcelain may work well, but does have its drawbacks, including cracking easily while drying and being stiff and inflexible once dry; but, it is very easy to make! You can even make it in the microwave!
https://www.clay-it-now.com/modelingclayrecipes.html

The YouTube channels Maqaroon and Cute Life Hacks, run by the same person, have videos on a lot of air-dry-clay-related topics, including brand comparisons and tips and tricks. I've curated a small selection below, all with good tips for making your own pieces:
10 Things You Must Know: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L8bhR7KZUB4
Paper Clay Brand Comparison: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mROzkwuoFIs
Homemade Paper Clay vs. Daiso and Banggood clays: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cAk5TSLRQdM
3 Different Recipes with Household Ingredients: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BtBmz6ltHfg

Play-Doh and similar substances aren't made to dry to make permanent pieces, so they'll shrink, crack, crumble, and turn funny colors while doing so. The finished piece will be quite crumbly as well. Do consider trying something else- it'll do your skills more justice to use a quality product!

As for a sealant, I'll recommend a product I find underrated: Duraclear Ultra-Matte varnish! I've painted one of those army-men like ponies you can find 20-ish to a pack at Dollar Tree and sealed her with it, and it's done its job quite well. Unlike Duraclear Matte varnish, it's actually matte, but it still has a certain "sheen," similar to the surface of a pumpkin. If gloss is your thing, I've heard good things about Liquitex, but I've never used it myself, so grain of salt!

Good luck in your endeavors! I'd love to see what you end up with!
Here's my ACNH creator code. I thought I might share it, since I have quite a few pony designs.
MA-2882-9995-3504

Online ZeldaTheSwordsman

• Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2021, 12:38:57 AM »
I am well aware of the shrinking and cracking with Play-Doh, Myndi, you can see that with the molds in the picture :P A lot of cracking happened since I had the clay sitting on the parts the whole time it was drying so that the impressions couldn't shrink overmuch.

Regarding sealant... Well, that's not specifically what I was looking for, at least not for the actual cast pieces. I was figuring I could just use acrylic gloss coat to seal those once they were made.
What I was mainly looking for was a way to keep the clay I'm making the pieces out of from getting stuck in the molds. The reason Shaiyeh mentioned sealant is she was figuring applying gloss sealant to the molds might prevent the clay for the pieces from sticking to them.

The offbrand Play-Doh is what I have on hand already ready to use, at least as far as air-dry goes (I do also have Sculpey). Really the best thing for what I'm trying to do is resin-casting, but I've only got a singular small resin-casting kit and I'm not sure I can make a proper mold of the parts with it. Which is why I'm trying to both mold and cast the reproduction parts in clay.

That site you linked... I guess the soapy clay would serve me best out of the recipes they provide? But I don't know if we have what I'd need in the house. Might be worth a shot though, so thanks for the link.

Offline Thimble

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2021, 11:43:53 AM »
Cornstarch is good for polymer clay, but probably won't work with airdry. It goes sticky on contact with moisture, so it's the opposite of what you want. If you work quick, you might it to work though. You might try a different powder?
 Too much oil can interfere with airdry clay's curing process and leave you with weird gooey bits. Bewaaaare,lol.

I make my molds out of polymer clay. (Sculpey,
lol.)Once baked, the only mold release you usually need is a drop or two of water if you're using more polymer in the mold. Just don't let it sit in the mold or it may stick.

There's also a kid's
moldable wax that works great and is reuseable, but i dunno how  easy it is to find for you. They sell it at the 100yen store here.

For a completely different idea, you could try this:
https://www.google.co.jp/amp/s/www.instructables.com/Worlds-easiest-silicone-mold/%3famp_page=true

Epbot did a version of this one with videos. If you google epbot silicon mold it should come up?

Hope you get something that works for you. :) Mad science crafting FTW!
« Last Edit: January 08, 2021, 11:54:16 AM by Thimble »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal