collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: What did 2020 teach you?  (Read 2744 times)

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
Re: What did 2020 teach you?
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2021, 12:11:04 PM »

That it's okay to turn off the news, watch nothing but vintage TV, and pretend it's 1985 for months on end.

I learned this too.  At first I tried to watch all of the news updates and press conferences but eventually they became overwhelming and I would go do something relaxing instead of submitting myself to every news report.

Hrm.

That I can keep myself amused for a lot more time in a day than I thought I could.

That I can survive nine months locked down with my parents xD.

These also ring true for me except the lockdown with my parents was about 3 months.

I also learned not to take the little things for granted.  I missed being able to go out whenever I wanted and do things that I like.

Sadly I also learned there are some people who will steal items that don't belong to them without a second thought to how this will affect others.  Two of the Christmas gifts I sent out were stolen before they reached their destination. :sad:

On a happier note I started diamond painting and really got in to it.  I had bought a kit sometime in 2019 and put it away.  One day I was really bored and got out the kit.  I discovered that I enjoy diamond painting. :D I am working on my 4th project now.

I also began watching more anime and got really in to an amazing series that I might have taken much longer discover/watch in its entirety if 2020 had been a normal year.

Ponyfan

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Offline StarCyrin

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Bratz Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2021, 08:17:04 PM »
I learned how much I thrive with absolutely minimal human contact!   As far as skills, I've really been improving my dead bird specimen preparation skills.  We've been able to leverage that to earn additional income for my department during the pandemic.  I've also done more digital art for work and pleasure.  Basically I am loving the lockdown experience... :lookround:
That is really cool Sunpony, Do you do vulture Culture stuff?

As for me... I learned to Lucet!  It's a really neat way to make braided cord.  I also managed to find a new job... definitely not something I thought was going to happen, and I learned that being alone isn't too bad honestly.
Oh!  and I also learned that Anxiety is a verb as well as a noun...

I don't know what culture vulture is... Maybe I am and I don't know it?  I work for a museum hence the birds ( and other animals but we mostly get birds).  Lucet sounds neat, I'd love to see something you've made if you have any pics!

Ok... A museum curator?!~  Thats even cooler!  Oh! Vulture Culture is the people who pick up and preserve freshly killed critters, like roadkill and such for private or sometimes public display!  Like... Taxidermy but more sustainable.
And as for my Lucet, here's my current ongoing braid, it's a cool fall color ball I found.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1isDBNOGSxDsrcFDkq1WUJN4xlp5MO_GL/view?usp=sharing

Leafytrails by Griffin

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2021, 06:09:46 AM »
It taught me that 2019 might've been bad, but things can always get worse!

At least I didn't have appendicitis again this year. :P

Offline mlp4me

• Nanu Nanu Orkan Pony
  • Trade Count: (+111)
  • A Happy Pony Day To You!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2021, 09:20:24 AM »
Literally learned that I have infinite patience for everything in this world except driving to and from work. Hubby and I were carpooling, then both working from home (Mar-Aug). I went back in person to work, hubby has not; road rage reared its ugly head...
« Last Edit: January 04, 2021, 09:22:54 AM by mlp4me »

G4 customs 4 sale
     Wants: Jamie Dornanvisitors can't see pics , please register or login
Hey, a girl can dream, right?

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2021, 10:48:51 AM »
It taught me that 2019 might've been bad, but things can always get worse!

At least I didn't have appendicitis again this year. :P

I love that not having appendicitis is one of your plus points. It kind of says everything about 2020 xD.

...This also reminded me that I should be careful what I wish for.

In summer 2019, when I was finishing off my PhD, I remember thinking how nice it would be to have a break before I went on to whatever next, since it had been such a manic few years.

...Not quite the break I was wanting, thank you, fate. I would absolutely rather be back in that situation of teaching, deadlines and invigilation right now. I genuinely miss every part of my life before COVID. Even the squinky bits.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Online brightberry

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2021, 11:58:17 AM »
Well, I was lucky enough to go to Disney World at the beginning of the year.  It was a last minute decision to go with my sister who was there for a conference.  I learned all the times I thought Disney was over hyped was very wrong.  I had a great time and want to go again.

I also learned that wearing a mask isn't so bad and that I went to the store waaayyy too often before the pandemic.
Sig art by SquarePeg!

Offline BlackCurtains

• Mad Scientist
  • Trade Count: (+69)
  • Orange ponies are the best.
    • View Profile
    • BlackCurtains Crafts
« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2021, 04:09:13 PM »
Oh yeah. I learned that there have been ways and resources for people like me who don't drive but companies just didn't utilize them until Covid. I could have been having video meetings with most of my doctors, grocery delivery, pharmacy delivery, restaurant delivery and so much more for all these years.

Belltock Raincurl
Commissions are Closed
Avatar and sig by Mione (offsite)

Offline Beth3346

• Trade Count: (+91)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • she/her/hers - Baby Mint Dreams by Lady Satine
    • View Profile
    • My Little Pony Collection
« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2021, 06:10:03 PM »
I learned that when the aliens come we won't all band together as humans like in the movie Independence Day. We'll all divide and take sides while they aliens wait for us to kill each other.

I also learned that if you have a family history of high blood pressure you really need to monitor your blood pressure. (everything is fine, just a life tip)

Not everything is depressing I also learned that there are a lot of people who are willing to sacrifice to help others and work hard for good causes. and there are a lot of people who will not tolerate injustice and will stand in line for hours to exercise their right to vote. and yes we have a messed up system. but there have also been a lot of people who are helping it function in spite of a lot of personal consequences.

i've also learned way more than I ever wanted to know about the US electoral system.
Current Grails - Dutchies, Princess Variants PM me if you have any for sale - Want List

Offline SunPony

• Trade Count: (+49)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2021, 06:22:01 PM »
Ok... A museum curator?!~  Thats even cooler!  Oh! Vulture Culture is the people who pick up and preserve freshly killed critters, like roadkill and such for private or sometimes public display!  Like... Taxidermy but more sustainable.
And as for my Lucet, here's my current ongoing braid, it's a cool fall color ball I found.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1isDBNOGSxDsrcFDkq1WUJN4xlp5MO_GL/view?usp=sharing

Ah, your Lucet project looks very nice!  Pretty sturdy braid, eh?  That tool is quite interesting, I don't think I've seen one before.  It has a timeless look to it...
I'm not quite a full-blown curator, although I am qualified for that position now.  But I think I could say I fit the vulture culture term, I do pick up dead animals from outside and prepare them!  These days a great deal of museum specimens are road kill or birds that flew into windows and such, we don't often go out killing stuff for the collection like in the past. 

Oh yeah. I learned that there have been ways and resources for people like me who don't drive but companies just didn't utilize them until Covid. I could have been having video meetings with most of my doctors, grocery delivery, pharmacy delivery, restaurant delivery and so much more for all these years.

I heard an interview on the radio about this yesterday, it was really interesting - about services that COULD have existed but didn't until it became useful for average, nondisabled people.  I'm glad that people can now benefit from them...but its frustrating that it took a pandemic to make it happen!  I hope these services stay available to you even after the pandemic ends.  I think they will  :)

Loa, what did you learn? 
Thanks to Shimmlight for the new avatar image  :biggrin:

Offline tikibirds

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+104)
  • The more people I meet, the more I like my dog!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2021, 06:34:28 AM »
I learned Americans are incredibly selfish.  -_-

Follow me in Instagram - https://www.instagram.com/midnight_fox_fire/

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #25 on: January 08, 2021, 10:03:09 AM »
I learned Americans PEOPLE are incredibly selfish.  -_-

Just fixing that for you >.>
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline NinaMarie

• Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+77)
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
    • NinaMarieCrochet - Cute & Floral Crochet Accessories
« Reply #26 on: January 09, 2021, 12:44:47 PM »
It certainly re-confirmed the hellish-ness of retail work...

But on a positive note, I can sew! I've been a pretty avid crocheter and have dabbled in many different crafts including a bit of hand sewing. But when mask wearing started becoming a thing I decided I wanted to make my own and borrowed my mother's sewing machine. I'm at the point that people are very impressed with the quality of my masks and I finished this vintage style dress in a gorgeous Halloween fabric for my sister. My parents gifted me a sewing machine for Christmas too!

So thanks 2020, you were terrible in so many ways but you gave me a sewing machine and the skills to use it.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal