collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Barbie Extra!  (Read 3123 times)

Offline Nemesis

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • Material Girl
    • View Profile
Barbie Extra!
« on: November 22, 2020, 02:49:51 PM »
Has anyone else seen these Barbies up for sale? It seems they’ve been released in some of the EU, but the Amazon US page slates them for January. I already preordered “Beanie/#2” (look at that adorable outfit!), but the preorders for the others have already sold out!

They remind of the BMR1959 line in terms of detail and style, albeit more modernized and geared towards a younger crowd. I’m so thrilled to see more general Barbie releases featuring articulation and detailed fashions, though! Plus, I’m in love with all the colorful outfits and hairstyles. What do you guys think?
🌈⭐️Check out my wishlist! Seeking all generations of ponies, Fashion Star Fillies, Magic Meadow Ponies, REMCO ponies, Sweetie Pups/Kitties, cutesy 80s/90s toys, and more!🦄🌙

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
Re: Barbie Extra!
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2020, 04:21:15 PM »
I saw #2 at Target on Friday.  I've heard that some Targets put the Extra dolls out too early and people are not being able to buy them when they try to checkout with them. 

#3 is my favorite one.  :) I love her candy purse and gummy bear ring.

Ponyfan
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Offline Nemesis

• Material Girl
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2020, 05:24:22 PM »
It seems strange not to rush them out for the holiday season, doesn’t it? :blink:

I love #3 as well—she gives me glammed-up 90s popstar vibes. :D
🌈⭐️Check out my wishlist! Seeking all generations of ponies, Fashion Star Fillies, Magic Meadow Ponies, REMCO ponies, Sweetie Pups/Kitties, cutesy 80s/90s toys, and more!🦄🌙

Offline Ponyfan

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2020, 06:38:47 PM »
I saw a post on Facebook that someone bought one of the Extras dolls and one of the doll’s legs was broken off at the knee inside the box. :sad:

Ponyfan
« Last Edit: November 22, 2020, 06:43:09 PM by Ponyfan »

Offline Zapper

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2020, 02:09:19 PM »
The Rainbow one is my favorite! But I guess I'll stick with BMR for now ;)

Offline Nemesis

• Material Girl
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2020, 05:46:02 AM »
I saw a post on Facebook that someone bought one of the Extras dolls and one of the doll’s legs was broken off at the knee inside the box. :sad:

Ponyfan

Oof, I reeeaaally hope that was a fluke/dud/damaged in shipping. I’m absolutely in love with these, and it would break my heart if they were defective. D=

I don’t believe any of the body molds are new, so unless they were using inferior plastics, I can’t imagine why they would be more breakable. :(

The Rainbow one is my favorite! But I guess I'll stick with BMR for now ;)

I can’t pick a favorite! XD I love them all. The two curvy gals stand out to me, though—especially #4’s gorgeous freckles.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2020, 05:50:18 AM by Nemesis »

Offline Zapper

• Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2020, 01:27:37 PM »
I can’t pick a favorite! XD I love them all. The two curvy gals stand out to me, though—especially #4’s gorgeous freckles.

Freckles is great because she has a working skateboard! Do you know if these have wrist articulation? It's really hard to see.

Offline On-X

• Trade Count: (0)
  • McDonald's Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2020, 05:08:27 PM »
After a harrowing unboxing of #4 I can confirm articulated wrists. I don’t know why Mattel can’t find a better way to package dolls... Plastic ties, elastic bands, double-sided tape. It’s an obstacle course to free the doll.

I was really hoping to be able to get rid of #4’s big earrings but the posts are huge and don’t want to easily come out. Plus the holes in her head are quite large. Bummer.

Other than that, she’s a really nice doll.

Offline Zapper

• Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2020, 08:29:49 AM »
After a harrowing unboxing of #4 I can confirm articulated wrists.

Thanks! Mhhh... I might wait on a sale. Just not right now :lol: The Rainbow one is just too funky to pass up. She looks like a weird mix of a 70s soul diva and an athleisure model. I just need to remove some of these cutesy items. I don't think the pets go well with the dolls.

Offline On-X

• Trade Count: (0)
  • McDonald's Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2020, 12:10:15 PM »
I don't think the pets go well with the dolls.

Yeah, the pets are just odd. Some additional accessories or articulation would have been a better use of the budget.

I couldn’t stand the earrings. Her hair kept getting tangled in them and they were just way too long. So I did remove them. They had to be broken to do it, unfortunately, but they’re out and she’s so much the better for it.

Offline Ponyfan

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2021, 06:53:06 AM »
I got #3 yesterday. :D

Ponyfan

Offline Nemesis

• Material Girl
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2021, 08:55:52 AM »
I have all five in hand now, and I’m really pleased overall! This is the nicest mainline Barbie release I’ve seen in a long while. #2’s pastel theme is probably my favorite, especially since I’m a fan of the curvy molds. #4 screams 90s pop star, which I love. XD

Agreeing that the pets are quite odd... with the exception of #4’s pig-cosplaying-an-alicorn, which I think coordinates well with her outfit. X3

I haven’t tried budging any of their earrings yet... It’s a shame to hear they’re so hard to remove now... As a kid, I used to swap my Barbies’ earrings all the time, and they popped on and off easily. I’m guessing Mattel started worrying that they were a choking hazard (as though the tiny rings, shoes, and barrettes are any better)?

Offline Ponyfan

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2021, 10:24:36 AM »
There's going to be a 2nd wave of the Extra dolls.

Ponyfan

Offline Nemesis

• Material Girl
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2021, 12:24:46 PM »
There's going to be a 2nd wave of the Extra dolls.

Ponyfan

Ooh, I can’t wait for more info! I was able to turn up a few blurry product photos and a bit of info... It seems the next wave will be on true MTM bodies! I’m unsure why they didn’t just go that route with the first wave, but it’s definitely good news!

Here’s the article I turned up. The hairstyles and dolls are gorgeous, but the fashions are a bit more of a mixed bag, IMO.

Offline Zapper

• Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2021, 04:15:27 AM »
It seems the next wave will be on true MTM bodies! I’m unsure why they didn’t just go that route with the first wave, but it’s definitely good news!

Here’s the article I turned up. The hairstyles and dolls are gorgeous, but the fashions are a bit more of a mixed bag, IMO.

So far I am still resisting, but MtM bodies... uh-oh!
I think their looks are ugly and great at the same time. Just the thing I like on a doll (and me sometimes). I failed my last year's no dolls challenge, I'm probably gonna fail this year as well. I really wanted to keep to model animals in 2021... sigh. But maybe just one? That's how it always starts and then I'll spiral. I just know it :lol:
Barbie is the only doll playline I can stand atm. And that's weird because I was never fond of them. But MtM and BMR changed that.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal