collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: eBay "Removal of Listings due to Similarity"  (Read 2519 times)

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
eBay "Removal of Listings due to Similarity"
« on: November 17, 2020, 09:23:48 AM »
Article link.
"In some embodiments of the present disclosure, some listings will be culled, removed, truncated, or otherwise excluded from the list of results presented to the user based on similarity to another listing that is displayed to the user. For example, if two tickets were retrieved as meeting the search request of the user, and both tickets were on the same row with one being fifteen dollars less than the other, only the less expensive ticket may be presented to the user because of the superiority in price of the less expensive ticket. The more expensive ticket may be excluded from the view of the user.

"By removing listings from query results, a number of benefits may be achieved. For example, a user may have a shorter list of more pertinent listings for their review and selection, increasing the likelihood of the user purchasing from the listings."
I've not been selling frequently lately due to school and have just been letting my listings slowly get bought up without me touching them, so I can't say if I've seen listings be hidden for being similar. I have heard some people say their listings are not showing up just in general.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Sig by Starscout <3

Online Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
Re: eBay "Removal of Listings due to Similarity"
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2020, 11:02:51 AM »
Call me a cynic but for that I feel like, "and if the seller happens to be a business corporate type doing massive business their auction will probably show up above a private seller paying higher fees but selling less often".

Because Ebay has been going more and more in that direction lately.

I miss the days when Ebay was an actual online market for private sellers to sell stuff to each other. But then I also miss the days when the internet was full of geek people hanging out and not flooded with social media idiocy, so I guess I'm old and cranky :)

This is all part of the ongoing "people can't read more than 2 words before their brain explodes" culture, though. I get that massive scrolling on phones is not intuitive for most people, but for goodness sake, the idea that nobody has the attention span to look through a few links at all the options is just...I dunno.

Another way in which phones and social media have ruined the internet.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2020, 11:04:59 AM by Taffeta »
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline PinkieLopBun

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Mighty Morphin Power Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2020, 11:53:27 AM »
I think there have been a couple times where I bought something that was a little more expensive because I thought it looked to be in better condition. Not really liking this idea. Maybe it's what Taffeta mentioned or maybe they genuinely wanted to help people save money, but if it's the latter, then I think anyone that's looking to do that is smart enough to do it on their own.
Follow me on Twitter and Tumblr.

Online Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2020, 12:37:28 PM »
But just imagine paying more fees than a business user because you list less often, and nobody ever sees your item.

That's basically what this means.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Online lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2020, 04:14:29 PM »
what?  this is crazy
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • Trade Count: (+131)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2020, 05:13:19 PM »
Honestly, if it actually worked where it should work, then I would be thrilled.

Today I was looking for dog boots.. and I can't get very specific with it, because different brands have wildly different sizes. But based within the same 200+ listings, there was maybe like only 5-10 actual different items. The rest were wretched repeats.

The same goes for one day when I was just looking for black shorts..  It was just too pages and pages of mostly the same cheap chinese stuff over and over. I actually just gave up my search.

:: my etsy :: 3DS FC 1735-9876-4867 // SW-8381-5856-2018

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2020, 06:59:26 AM »
what the heck??? this is ridiculous; yeah something might be $15 cheaper, but it also may be in noticeably different quality to the more expensive one! Not to mention as you guys have said, it's clearly geared towards high-rollers at the expense of shutting down smaller/private sellers. Insane.

I really, really hate how social media and smartphones have led to a mass dumbing down of the internet as a whole...

Online Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2020, 07:13:27 AM »

I really, really hate how social media and smartphones have led to a mass dumbing down of the internet as a whole...

Absolutely agree. It's become a stifling place full of emoji idiots who no longer have time to write in full sentences because they have to comment on sixteen pictures of their best friend's dog before breakfast ><.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2020, 12:43:22 PM »

Absolutely agree. It's become a stifling place full of emoji idiots who no longer have time to write in full sentences because they have to comment on sixteen pictures of their best friend's dog before breakfast ><.

Too, too true. It's so difficult to find anywhere to have a proper discussion about things now.. Well, apart from here, of course. :)

Offline goddessofpeep

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2020, 12:03:46 AM »
Well this is garbage.  Since they started messing with things the search has been screwy, but this takes the biscuit.  With the loss of the whole category system, you have to specifically search everything you can’t just browse what’s new.  So basically sellers are paying listing fees for items buyers can’t see, and ebay’s algorithm is making the choices for the buyer as to what they should buy.

When I shop, it’s not just the price. There are some sellers I will pay a premium for because I know I’ll have a good experience with them.  I’ll pay more for a seller that offers better shipping options as I have mail issues here. There are some sellers I actively avoid. I’ll pay more for items that are already in my country so I don’t have to worry about customs. I’ll obviously pay more for better condition items.  The algorithm is going to be making value judgements on what I get to see, and if it goes 100% of the time for the cheapest, it’s going to punish sellers who offer excellent service and high quality items. 

Using their ticket example, ticket 23A and 23N may be in the same row, but one of them is center stage, and the other is off to the side partially behind a pillar.  It’s not the same experience at all, and it should be my choice if I want to spend the extra $15 to actually see the event instead of the back of a pillar.  It’s my damn money, and I should be able to make the choice where I spend it. 

Online ZeldaTheSwordsman

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • "Death to Eclipse" protests DA's dumb new UI
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2020, 04:27:53 PM »
Complain en masse, this is garbage and whoever approved of it should be forcefed their own tie.
should be perma-moderated

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal