collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: MONSTER HIGH RETURNS  (Read 3886 times)

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
  • Trade Count: (+101)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
MONSTER HIGH RETURNS
« on: October 30, 2020, 01:43:46 PM »
Well, not like it WAS of course, but there are a couple of "collector" dolls coming- apparently they are the dolls that Mattel was planning to release at SDCC, but ... you know, COVID thing.

ANyway the "official" release to retailers (I'm sure as usual, MATTEL has a HUGE edition size of these) - is technically December 2nd- but I'm SURE you will start seeing them various places earlier than that.

There are already "placeholder" listings on Amazon Canada and Amazon USA

Some details: http://www.youloveit.com/dolls/1129-mattel-will-release-2-new-monster-high-collector-dolls-in-2020.html

THIS is the site the initial batch was released through- but they sold out instantly because there were not many, and they were sold with a special poster or something.
https://creations.mattel.com/

HOWEVER-  according to their instagram-  they are hinting that something is coming- so I suspect they will pop back up on this site as well. 

The dolls are the twins from THE SHINING
and PENNYWISE

I want Pennywise so bad, haha

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Do you guys see the little Axes in the hair for the twins?  :lol:
« Last Edit: October 30, 2020, 03:16:29 PM by Galactica »

Offline Wardah

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
Re: MONSTER HIGH RETURNS
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2020, 02:48:32 PM »
Monster High is Mattel not Hasbro.
Seeking Cutie Princess toys by Chap Mei!!

Also seeking brown Novi Stars fakies, and Punzels.

Av by Moonflower.

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2020, 03:16:03 PM »
Yes, I misspoke there.  But the same is true for Mattel.  Usually.  Except when they underanticipate!

IE there were loads and loads of Shera sets, but I don't recall there ever being an overwhelming number of SDCC MOnster High extras...  although I didn't always keep track...

Post Merge: October 30, 2020, 03:17:46 PM

Yes, yes, I misspoke there.  I did say Mattel's SDCC dolls- but yes, MATTEL will have a big editon size- hopefully?   I mean, they do for some SDCC stuff...

IE there were loads and loads of Shera sets...

On the other hand I don't recall there ever being an overwhelming number of SDCC MOnster High extras...  although I didn't always keep track...
« Last Edit: October 30, 2020, 03:17:46 PM by Galactica »

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2020, 03:22:05 PM »
huh.  understandable.  cute if you have that type of decor
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline Nemesis

• Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • Material Girl
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2020, 04:46:33 PM »
Eh, not going to lie... these just don’t do anything for me. :shrug:

I was a HUGE MH collector from beginning to end, but these dolls just don’t look anything like MH to me. They’re more reminiscent of those licensed bishoujo statues of horror movie icons, or something similar.
🌈⭐️Check out my wishlist! Seeking all generations of ponies, Fashion Star Fillies, Magic Meadow Ponies, REMCO ponies, Sweetie Pups/Kitties, cutesy 80s/90s toys, and more!🦄🌙

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2020, 04:52:39 PM »
It seems crossovers are this year's big theme for toy companies.
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline Wardah

• MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2020, 06:48:34 PM »
I'm personally not a fan either. I like my spooky stuff a little more on the light-hearted side. Now if they did a Beetlejuice one I'd be all over it.
Seeking Cutie Princess toys by Chap Mei!!

Also seeking brown Novi Stars fakies, and Punzels.

Av by Moonflower.

Offline mopthebunny

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Oooh, who lives in a pineapple under the sea?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2020, 02:47:08 AM »
Wow those look awesome! Finally something a bit edgier again

Signature by LordBlumiere

Offline glitterball

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Be kind and sparkly!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2020, 04:04:47 AM »
I'm personally not a fan either. I like my spooky stuff a little more on the light-hearted side. Now if they did a Beetlejuice one I'd be all over it.

Oh yes!!
Can you imagine the fun they would have designing that?!!!

Offline Zapper

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2020, 04:16:19 AM »
I have a hunch on why they are looking less like MH and more like the inspirations... Mattel still has an interest in MH as a doll line for kids. The end of the reboot wasn't too long ago, so imagine some of the confusion by parents when MH G1 suddenly comes back and more gruesome than ever?
Even if the packaging said "for adult collectors", MH created quite the controversy back in the day and I could see Mattel not wanting to risk too much right now.

Making these unmistakeably for horror fans is also a nod to us adult collectors. It proves that Mattel realizes there is still a market for these. Similar to the new Barbies made to resemble dolls from the 60s, using the original molds and such. I can appreciate it!

Ok, so final thoughts? I really like these! I think they are clever and they certainly remind me of Living Dead Dolls, albeit more appealing. I just never liked creepy baby dolls, even if they are done deliberately creepy.
And who knows, maybe if these are a success Mattel will think about going into a MH G1 direction again? Allthough I personally don't need it. I love Horror so I'd be interested in seeing a more realistic Hammer werewolf, Creature or Audrey 2 with an actual plant head. Provided Mattel can obtain the licenses of course.

I loved collecting MH but there were so many dolls I got all my needs met, basically. Now is time for something new.
The Shining Twins would really interest me. Pennywise not so much because it's the remake one. Props to them for using a girl for him, tho. Fans know Penny is really a female spider and just shapeshifts into a male clown for spoopy reasons.

PS: I forgot to mention I love seeing the MH G1 molds using natural skintones (Twyla was used for the Gradies) and hope there will be more!
« Last Edit: October 31, 2020, 04:45:42 AM by Zapper »

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2020, 03:27:35 PM »
Personally- I love Pennywise but I would love a Beetlejuice too!

It seems like these may be the start of a new collector line- which makes sense, since it is more adults than kids that would be interested in MH at this point probably. (the kids have moved on).

I just noticed this posted on their new "Mattel Creations" site (which seems to be a rebranded repurposed matty collectors)

SKULLECTOR DOLLS
From the makers of Monster High™,Skullector™ is an all-new, horrifying collectible line of dolls featuring scare-raising skullebrities and some of the most haunting characters ever to appear on the silver scream. Crafted with to-die-for details, dead-on costumes, and drool-worthy accessories, they’re so creepy and collectible – it’s scary!

I also kinda like their MOTU crystal Skeletor, although I would have preferred Shera..
« Last Edit: November 03, 2020, 03:29:37 PM by Galactica »

Offline Nemesis

• Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • Material Girl
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2020, 04:33:42 AM »

It seems like these may be the start of a new collector line- which makes sense, since it is more adults than kids that would be interested in MH at this point probably. (the kids have moved on).

I just noticed this posted on their new "Mattel Creations" site (which seems to be a rebranded repurposed matty collectors)

SKULLECTOR DOLLS
From the makers of Monster High™,Skullector™ is an all-new, horrifying collectible line of dolls featuring scare-raising skullebrities and some of the most haunting characters ever to appear on the silver scream. Crafted with to-die-for details, dead-on costumes, and drool-worthy accessories, they’re so creepy and collectible – it’s scary!

I also kinda like their MOTU crystal Skeletor, although I would have preferred Shera..

I find the language “from the makers of Monster High” to be very interesting. It sounds like they’re branding these as “Skullector Dolls” rather than an actual part of the MH line/branding. That’s a much better idea, IMHO, given the stark departure from the original look and themes of MH.

Pennywise not so much because it's the remake one. Props to them for using a girl for him, tho. Fans know Penny is really a female spider and just shapeshifts into a male clown for spoopy reasons.

This makes me happy, as well. :D Now bring on the spider-version doll! THAT I would buy. XD
🌈⭐️Check out my wishlist! Seeking all generations of ponies, Fashion Star Fillies, Magic Meadow Ponies, REMCO ponies, Sweetie Pups/Kitties, cutesy 80s/90s toys, and more!🦄🌙

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2020, 07:17:23 AM »
oooh cool, so they're technically NOT Monster High, then? I like that. Felt silly to brand them as MH when they're really just reusing some of the molds and such.

Offline Zapper

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2020, 12:04:18 PM »

SKULLECTOR DOLLS

I find the language “from the makers of Monster High” to be very interesting. It sounds like they’re branding these as “Skullector Dolls” rather than an actual part of the MH line/branding. That’s a much better idea, IMHO, given the stark departure from the original look and themes of MH.

Pennywise not so much because it's the remake one. Props to them for using a girl for him, tho. Fans know Penny is really a female spider and just shapeshifts into a male clown for spoopy reasons.

This makes me happy, as well. :D Now bring on the spider-version doll! THAT I would buy. XD

Now that you mention it, we all know they have a spider body and head, COME ON MATTEL! They made how many versions of the spider girl? Two, right? The SDCC one and the I<3Fashion version. Perfect base for Spider!wise.

Beetlejuice and Lydia could have been a cool two-pack. But they'd probably use the Twyla mold for Lydia as well. I'd like to see some mods, like a Howleen head but with human ears, Draculaura head on Little Sister body, etc.

Btw, I heard the dolls went on sale again and were immediatly sold out due to scalper bots? x__x
That doesn't sound like Mattel Creations has their system in check. Nobody should be able to order more than five of the same item at once, imo. This stuff only pisses off the people they try to capture with this (old school MH fans).

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2020, 05:31:05 PM »

SKULLECTOR DOLLS

Now that you mention it, we all know they have a spider body and head, COME ON MATTEL! They made how many versions of the spider girl? Two, right? The SDCC one and the I<3Fashion version. Perfect base for Spider!wise.

Beetlejuice and Lydia could have been a cool two-pack. But they'd probably use the Twyla mold for Lydia as well. I'd like to see some mods, like a Howleen head but with human ears, Draculaura head on Little Sister body, etc.

Btw, I heard the dolls went on sale again and were immediatly sold out due to scalper bots? x__x
That doesn't sound like Mattel Creations has their system in check. Nobody should be able to order more than five of the same item at once, imo. This stuff only pisses off the people they try to capture with this (old school MH fans).

Yeah, I heard about that too.  But there is still supposed to be a wide release to "retailers" on December something, so there will be more. 

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal