collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Strange pop-up when trying to contact Ebay seller, message not sending  (Read 3211 times)

Offline LadyAmalthea

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
Has anyone seen this before? I have been trying to reply to a message to a seller and a pop-up appears when I hit the send button saying, 'Sorry! Fail to add member message'. When I check my outbox there is nothing there. I've tried checking Ebay tech support and googling the 'fail to add member message' phrase with no helpful results.

I need to get in touch with this person...they said they would refund a shipping overage, but haven't done it. When I messaged them last week, they said they were out of town and didn't have access to their paypal statements, and to message them today if I didn't hear from them before. Coincidentally(?), yesterday was the last day I would have been able to leave them feedback...is it possible that the seller could have blocked me from being able to contact them?

I want to give them the benefit of the doubt, but the timing is really strange, and why won't my message go through?

Offline IceCrystal02

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
Re: Strange pop-up when trying to contact Ebay seller, message not sending
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2020, 04:47:51 PM »
Yes, that has happened to me once with a seller in the UK. I tried several times, even weeks later, but I always got an error message. I was then wondering if as a seller you can prevent other ebay members from sending you messages somehow? I hadn't dealt with that seller before, I just wanted to ask them if they would consider posting abroad.

I didn't contact ebay about the issue though, so I still don't know the reason for it.

Offline LadyAmalthea

• Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2020, 07:36:46 PM »
That's odd...they must have had it set so no one could send messages then, rather than just you specifically, since you hadn't had dealings with them previously. Interesting to know that it was ongoing for weeks...makes me think I won't be able to get ahold of the seller tomorrow, either.

This seller and I had had pleasant dealings previously, prior to and during the transaction. In fact, her last message to me stated 'we will get this resolved for you!' So it's weird that she would block any oncoming messages...unless she was just buying time until the deadline for leaving feedback expired today. I hope I didn't just get scammed...

Offline Loa

• Queen of Sloths
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2020, 08:45:55 PM »
Maybe send a quick note to ebay? If nothing else, you can cover yourself!
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thank you SquarePeg!
My Instagram - MLPArena's Instagram - My Sales on Trade Me!

Offline IceCrystal02

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2020, 03:09:38 AM »
Yes, it's really odd, as I have contacted many sellers since then and haven't seen that error message again, I was able to contact all the others without problems. As I first thought that ebay might have a bug I tried again weeks later, but as I got the error message again and was able to contact other sellers in the meantime I concluded that they must somehow have a setting that allows them to block all incoming messages.

First I thought it might be connected to the "I'm away currently" setting, but I've since had listings from a seller who was away for a period of time on my watch list and all these listings hat a "the seller is currently away" bar at the top of their listings. This wasn't the case in the seller's listing that I wasn't able to contact, so either this is an error on ebay's part or there is indeed a possibility to block other members from contacting you.

But I reckon ebay should be able to help you there, if there is such a setting they should know after all.  :)

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • Trade Count: (+131)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2020, 05:57:09 AM »
Coincidentally(?), yesterday was the last day I would have been able to leave them feedback...is it possible that the seller could have blocked me from being able to contact them?

That actually makes me wonder.

What about going to the seller's ebay page and sending a new message there, that is unrelated to the previous chain of emails?

Up until recently, it wasn't even possible to block people from contacting you. There's been plenty of horror stories of buyers harassing sellers after making a purchase... and they could do nothing.

Is it 2 months or 3 months that you can no longer give feedback? :/ you gave the seller plenty of time, so maybe you are right since this has been dragged out for so long.

:: my etsy :: 3DS FC 1735-9876-4867 // SW-8381-5856-2018

Offline LadyAmalthea

• Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2020, 06:35:09 AM »
They give you 2 months to leave feedback. I wish they'd change that, especially with all the shipping delays of recent months. I probably should have contacted her earlier about it, but I was waiting on my September PayPal statement just to be sure the refund didn't show up there. I wanted screen shots of everything, just in case.

I will try going to her page and sending a new message directly. I was hoping to just reply to the last one she sent me, because her promise to resolve the situation was right there in black and white, attached to it, but I'll take what I can get if it means getting in touch with her.

Worst case, I'll contact Ebay...I hate to be aggressive in the event that it's just an Ebay glitch that the message won't go through and not her trying to block and dodge the situation, but when communication lines are down, you do what you have to do, I guess.

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • Trade Count: (+131)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2020, 09:31:35 AM »
I'm crossing my fingers your seller wasn't just trying to avoid feedback, and it's an eBay quirk.

I'm trying to think.. but I believe eBay doesn't help out when sellers overcharge for shipping.. as that's not something covered under buyer protection. In fact, they charge fees on shipping to deter sellers from overcharging on shipping.

Let us know any updates..

I asked about the feedback since I ordered something from Korea and they sent it via boat. u_u; It's gonna arrive after the feedback window (closes tomorrow), which is irritating.

:: my etsy :: 3DS FC 1735-9876-4867 // SW-8381-5856-2018

Offline LadyAmalthea

• Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2020, 10:16:02 AM »
I'm crossing my fingers your seller wasn't just trying to avoid feedback, and it's an eBay quirk.

I'm trying to think.. but I believe eBay doesn't help out when sellers overcharge for shipping.. as that's not something covered under buyer protection. In fact, they charge fees on shipping to deter sellers from overcharging on shipping.

Let us know any updates..

I asked about the feedback since I ordered something from Korea and they sent it via boat. u_u; It's gonna arrive after the feedback window (closes tomorrow), which is irritating.

Thanks, I'm crossing my fingers too! I'll update on how it goes.

No, I'm not really expecting help from Ebay as far as collecting my shipping; I don't really think I have much of a case since the seller and I hadn't had an actual agreed-upon amount, only that I had paid for each individual item to be shipped individually and she had agreed to refund the difference. I can't prove what that difference was without her post office receipt. I doubt it cost $43.50 to ship 4 baby ponies and several pony wear outfits within the US, but I can't prove to Ebay that it didn't. I am just hoping that whether it is an Ebay glitch or she is blocking me intentionally, if I explain the situation to an Ebay rep, maybe they will at least help override the glitch/block so that I can ask her to look into it one more time (especially since her last message specifically asked me to contact her if I didn't hear from her by Tuesday/yesterday, and I didn't).

I don't think she set out to scam me; she couldn't figure out how to send me an invoice to combine the shipping, and I said it was okay for her to just refund the difference after she sent it. Bad on me for trusting her, I guess, but we had messaged back and forth about it and we tried to figure it out together and couldn't. I honestly think she just forgot, and then when I brought it up last week, she wasn't prepared. Maybe she freaked out that I was going to leave bad feedback...I wasn't planning on it...in fact, I was going to preempt and leave good feedback saying 'will buy from again' as an incentive to finish this transaction on a good note, but it was already too late. Apparently if you purchase something on, say, August 27th, it only gives you through October 26th to leave the feedback, NOT the 27th like I would have thought. Or maybe it's 60 days, and since August has 31 days, the 27th of October would have been the 61st. Something to keep in mind!

As for your Korea situation, that's why I think Ebay should widen the feedback window. Many transactions are not completed in 2 months. I hope your item arrives safely and all goes smoothly.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal