collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: My Lolita Pony- would it ever take off? Pony fashion in the future?  (Read 2792 times)

Offline AnnaPommes

• glow-in-the-dark pony
  • Trade Count: (+62)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • Pommes cute things
Re: My Lolita Pony- would it ever take off? Pony fashion in the future?
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2020, 11:51:31 PM »
All the extras would probably put it in a high price range. Bet you could find a talented toy clothes maker to whip you up an outfit or two.
yeah, no doubt. But I think with as many people throwing hundreds and thousands at customs, it wouldn’t be much of an issue for the hardcore people who fall into that niche, maybe?
From stalking Takara pics on gramho, I know someone by the name of Shadowonthemoon makes adorable Takara pony clothing...does that count?
[/quote]

Shadowonthemoon is pinkkittywings here - and the makes the most adorable clothes!
translating lolita fashion silouettes on four legged toys is not so easy- that means it work well on every doll standig on just two legs, like the takara ponies and the fashion dolls.

And also, I don't see why it needs to be specifically Takara either (besides, of course, I know you really adore them). It's not there wasn't pony fashion for the normal ponies.

ETA: I wouldn't be opposed to all kinds of fashion for my girls.

I mean there have been lolita inspired playline dolls. Ever After High frequently dipped into lolita fashion and there were the Shibajuku Girls and Cutie Pops as well as others. They just never specifically called the style lolita.

Tbh the thing I'd want is Takara HQG1Cs. I think most people would snap them up considering how the real ones are out of most people's price ranges.

ah.
I was thinking of things like this w/ brands..

http://blog.lemonshortbread.com/2014/12/baby-stars-shine-bright-jenny-doll.html

https://otakumode.com/news/58228874c491782223a21487/%E2%80%9CLicca-~-Symbol-of-Kawaii%E2%80%9D-Exhibition-Coming-to-Paris-Licca-chan-Helps-Japanese-French-Cultural-Exchange!

https://dolls.moe/en/pullip/242-muneca-pullip-groove-hnaoto-prunella-frill-lolita-gothic-doll-new.html

*o* ohh, i knew about a pullip in sweet lolita and a dal? but these are new and soo cool to see!

for anybody wanting to sew some frilly dresses for thies ponies, look here:
https://www.etsy.com/listing/572063668/pdf-vintage-my-little-pony-g1-dress?ref=cart

for dolls here:
https://www.etsy.com/listing/224073469/looking-glass-lolita-doll-clothes-pdf?ref=yr_purchases

for people interested in the fashion:
and yes, there are indie labels in the fashion that go up to size 16 and more!
https://www.etsy.com/shop/Dollbe?ref=simple-shop-header-name&listing_id=768679534
Dollbe is an indie label from north america, so no extra tax for usa residents?

the reddit for lolita fashion has a really good list for people interested in the fashion:
https://www.reddit.com/r/Lolita/wiki/index
the availabillity changes a lot just since the last year! it is a lot easier now to get into the fashion and you will have a big variety in dresses. ^^
i personally have bought infanta and other chinese inde brands and the pieces look great to me. ^^

now back to the point of ponies x lolita fashion:
i know some collectors who are interested or wearing the fashion already. ^^  since i think it is difficult to have lolita fashion on four-legged-toys i am more into looking for dresses with pony/unicorn prints. ;)
my first dress was second hand from a bring and buy on a local lolita meet and it has ponies and bunnies on it:
 https://www.bodylinetokyo.co.jp/products/detail.php?product_id=25153

yes, it is from bodyline ;) they started very cheap as a brand, but if you are interested, you can get thier dresses, shoes or blouses. still, some lolita communities have a negative hint on bodyline. who is interested in knowing more look for lovelylors video on bodyline. ^^

i hope this post has some usefull information for some people!
all in all, the pony community and the lolita community have very much in common how they help each other out all the time!
« Last Edit: September 24, 2020, 11:53:34 PM by AnnaPommes »
~ Visit the Pommes-shop ~
www.etsy.com/shop/AnnagretStudio With usefull artprints, cute decor, stationery and crafting kits!
Or linktree with more fancy things!
wonderfull avatar by the lovely Shaiyeh!

Offline Emillia

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Drink 'n' Wet Pony
    • View Profile
    • wish list
« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2020, 02:27:19 AM »
I think it could work. I would love to see that. But maybe not just lolita ponies, maybe just japanese street fashion in general. That would speak to a wider audience. And not all adult pony collecters are super crazy about pink, or the pastels that companies like Angelic Pretty work with. But Hasbro is never going to do that, since their ponies aren't really fashion dolls to begin with. So that would require a whole new series, or maybe a spinoff of Equestria Girls.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • Trade Count: (+131)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2020, 03:40:46 AM »
I don't see it needing to be too terribly expensive. And I personally would rather see it be handled with collectors in mind then the watered down tacky stuff that kids typically get.

https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10467894
Like some Pure Neemo clothes, I don't think it has to be too outlandish price-wise.

Although if it was like a collab.. then it would get pricey real fast. and maybe if socks and shoes get thrown into the mix it would get pricey... but I hate socks and shoes on my ponies. lol. I was thinking maybe just a skirt + small accessory.

:shrug: Since this is a theoretical thing, I'd rather think about what could be done rather then what would be done if it was real.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2020, 03:42:30 AM by banditpony »

:: my etsy :: 3DS FC 1735-9876-4867 // SW-8381-5856-2018

Offline Mana Minori

• Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2020, 06:21:45 AM »
I think it could work. I would love to see that. But maybe not just lolita ponies, maybe just japanese street fashion in general. That would speak to a wider audience. And not all adult pony collecters are super crazy about pink, or the pastels that companies like Angelic Pretty work with. But Hasbro is never going to do that, since their ponies aren't really fashion dolls to begin with. So that would require a whole new series, or maybe a spinoff of Equestria Girls.
hmmm. I wouldn’t mind a J-street fashion pony Collab or whole spinoff line. Of course I think it would be better aimed at older folk and collectors.
I get that not everyone is a fan of pink and frills that one might assume is all to Lolita at first glance, but the fashion style comes in every color under the rainbow. There’s gothic Lolita, which offers a more dark color pallet, there’s mori which work with more muted, earthy tones. There’s Punk, Pirate, and Military Lolita and even guro Lolita that focuses on a Creepy horror aspect. So it’s definitely not kawaii pink glitter kawaii fluff.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2020, 06:25:50 AM by Mana Minori »
formerly nightmare muffin

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2020, 06:40:29 AM »
Isn't the basis of lolita fashion a refusal to "age out" of the 'cute style' for little girls?  In that sense, I think it's actually a good fit for MLP.  Because even the grown up ponies are sometimes dressed in outfits that are for little girls / appeal to little girls.

They don't have to call it "lolita".  IMO Lalaloopsy Dolls have a lolita feel.  And those were very popular for a while IIRC.

^ Isn't this pretty close to lolita style?

Sidenote, Safiya Nygaard has a great series on Japanese street fashion if anyone is curious about it.  I love her videos.

Edit:  I do feel using the term lolita would result in uninformed parents freaking out, which is unfortunate.  The fashion is lovely.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2020, 06:42:39 AM by LadyMoondancer »
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline Emillia

• Drink 'n' Wet Pony
    • View Profile
    • wish list
« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2020, 06:52:22 AM »
hmmm. I wouldn’t mind a J-street fashion pony Collab or whole spinoff line. Of course I think it would be better aimed at older folk and collectors.
I get that not everyone is a fan of pink and frills that one might assume is all to Lolita at first glance, but the fashion style comes in every color under the rainbow. There’s gothic Lolita, which offers a more dark color pallet, there’s mori which work with more muted, earthy tones. There’s Punk, Pirate, and Military Lolita and even guro Lolita that focuses on a Creepy horror aspect. So it’s definitely not kawaii pink glitter kawaii fluff.

Oh my, I love that idea! Guro lolita ponies for Halloween. A Mori pony with a cottage playset. Fairy Kei newborn baby ponies.... I see some opportunities here.

Offline Aeryala

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Twinkle Eye Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2020, 06:58:11 AM »
I do love the look of lolita fashion but don't think it would work with the current iteration of ponies (they're very small for all the detail that goes into the fashion, and also stylistically), and clearly not a good idea to officially use the term Lolita. 

Definitely could see older styles of ponies looking very cool in lolita-esque fashions though!  I would personally prefer it for G1 or G3 ponies, but generally speaking the takara ponies may as well not exist for me so I'm left a little cold at that idea.  But that's just me. 

Don't think it would succeed in the current market in North America though, frilly ultrafeminine babydoll fashion does not seem on trend rn. 

However, if it was a line that represented different styles of Japanese street fashion that included a couple of lolita looks?  That would be sick.

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2020, 08:06:42 AM »
I think a collab making human clothes would be really cool to see and is more likely!

Sig by Starscout <3

Offline Wardah

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 25, 2020, 08:13:26 AM »
Don't think it would succeed in the current market in North America though, frilly ultrafeminine babydoll fashion does not seem on trend rn. 

If you look at LOL Surprise, there are lolita inspired dolls there, they just tend to lean towards the gothy side instead of the sweet side.

But you are right that trends are leaning more towards what pop stars are currently wearing as well as American street fashion. Tbh one of the worst current trends is what's called "athleisure". Most of the time it looks like underwear or jammies.
Seeking Cutie Princess toys by Chap Mei!!

Also seeking brown Novi Stars fakies, and Punzels.

Av by Moonflower.

Offline Mana Minori

• Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 25, 2020, 10:24:40 AM »
-banshee screams- excuse me while I die

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #25 on: September 25, 2020, 12:05:14 PM »
I'll be honest, I'd rather have had this conversation without it having to come around again to "rebooting the Takara ponies" because it feels like just another thread on the same subject rather than a different one. I don't think that was your intention, but it's how it came over to me.

As for the Lolita - eh. I have no issues with the original connitations of the term, just with the idea that this somehow representative of Japanese culture. For me it's not Japanese culture, it's more like something hybrid between Japan and the West.

That said, I think because it's not innately Japanese, it probably has a great potential market in the West. It's more familiar to Westerners who maybe have grown up with pictures of things from Victoriana or whatever. I tend to feel like it's popular in Japan because it's an expression of femininity, but also because it's exotic and foreign and unlike native Japanese culture - whereas in the West I think that familiarity helps make it something people connect to.

So, ignoring Takara and going back to potential future pony releases...I think that if it were on a doll, like an EqG future line of some kind, there's probably no reason why it shouldn't happen. It would probably have to be a themed set of outfits, though, and would probably be tagged "Victoriana" rather than Lolita.

If we are talking Japanese things, I'd be more interested in dolls with hitatare, hakama or haori, but that's just me.

The thing about Lolita is it's not just really new in a country over 2000 years old, and super niche, it's also basically linked to regions of Tokyo, and that's also not the whole of the country. It'd be like saying "let's do an American themed set of outfits" and then selling them with the NY Yankees baseball uniform. Baseball is only part of US culture, and NY is only part of the US. And that's how I feel about Lolita overall. I'd want a broader representation of Japanese culture, if the idea was to represent something Japanese.

When I was over there, it was pretty common to rent a kimono to walk around Kyoto, but I never saw anyone dressed in lolita fashion. The only time I have ever encountered people doing that was at festivals here, as cosplay...and one or two live artists whose act is from Harajuku and based around that theme.

Again, kimono on a doll would be cute, on a pony, probably ridiculous.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2020, 12:17:53 PM by Taffeta »
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Mana Minori

• Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 25, 2020, 01:01:54 PM »
I'll be honest, I'd rather have had this conversation without it having to come around again to "rebooting the Takara ponies" because it feels like just another thread on the same subject rather than a different one. I don't think that was your intention, but it's how it came over to me.

As for the Lolita - eh. I have no issues with the original connitations of the term, just with the idea that this somehow representative of Japanese culture. For me it's not Japanese culture, it's more like something hybrid between Japan and the West.

That said, I think because it's not innately Japanese, it probably has a great potential market in the West. It's more familiar to Westerners who maybe have grown up with pictures of things from Victoriana or whatever. I tend to feel like it's popular in Japan because it's an expression of femininity, but also because it's exotic and foreign and unlike native Japanese culture - whereas in the West I think that familiarity helps make it something people connect to.

So, ignoring Takara and going back to potential future pony releases...I think that if it were on a doll, like an EqG future line of some kind, there's probably no reason why it shouldn't happen. It would probably have to be a themed set of outfits, though, and would probably be tagged "Victoriana" rather than Lolita.

If we are talking Japanese things, I'd be more interested in dolls with hitatare, hakama or haori, but that's just me.

The thing about Lolita is it's not just really new in a country over 2000 years old, and super niche, it's also basically linked to regions of Tokyo, and that's also not the whole of the country. It'd be like saying "let's do an American themed set of outfits" and then selling them with the NY Yankees baseball uniform. Baseball is only part of US culture, and NY is only part of the US. And that's how I feel about Lolita overall. I'd want a broader representation of Japanese culture, if the idea was to represent something Japanese.

When I was over there, it was pretty common to rent a kimono to walk around Kyoto, but I never saw anyone dressed in lolita fashion. The only time I have ever encountered people doing that was at festivals here, as cosplay...and one or two live artists whose act is from Harajuku and based around that theme.

Again, kimono on a doll would be cute, on a pony, probably ridiculous.
that was actually my bad. I definitely did not intend for it to be another reboot Takara topic, for fear of sounding like a broken record. But I failed to reign in my inner fangirl and admittedly some of the fanaticism bled through in one paragraph of the op. I admit it is difficult for me not to think about that at some length when I think of Lolita. Again, definitely my bad. I hope this can steer into a topic about incorporating J-fashion into the pony brand, whether or not Takaras are at the root of it. More fashion ponies and fashion style inspired ponies would be aces all around!

I feel like there’s already a foot the door with the existence of g3 Kimono. I don’t quite know how well received she was when she was released. But something could be done with her, maybe as a representative and gateway into the fashion.

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 25, 2020, 01:51:06 PM »
This isn't my picture, but if we're talking about Japanese culture, this is much more what I would think of.
Spoiler

That is one of the only two Pullip dolls I own, because she's dressed like that ;)

But I am not sure that would work well on a pony. It would have to be either an EqG type doll or a IT doll representation of a pony (albeit there are potential complications with that as well).

You mentioned Kimono, but with her name and her symbol, she seems to more represent matsuri. That's definitely more yukata or kimono than lolita, so they'd be counterintuitive.

Something interesting that's sort of related, and sort of not, when it comes to representing Japanese cultural factors outside of Japan, especially where kids are concerned. Miraculous Ladybug had an episode in Season 3 where they referenced Tomoe Gozen. Screencap in spoiler below.
Spoiler
While it's a bit weird, it's also interesting that this is the theme that show chose to reflect, rather than something more western or modern. Tomoe is actually a pretty cool icon to utilise in that context, for many different reasons - but also entirely counterintuitive to the more modern, urban concepts surrounding Japanese fashion.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2020, 01:56:57 PM by Taffeta »
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Mana Minori

• Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 25, 2020, 02:08:02 PM »
Taffeta: I think the only way this would work is is they either brought Megan and Molly back to style the fashion, or jut work with a brand to have pony prints on Lolita. With its color scheme, Moitie could have done a very nice Princess Luna/Nightmare moon print which g4 was still in effect. But the pastel ponies lend well to other kinds of Lolita inspired prints also.
I think Pullip collabed with AP a while back.

I would love kimonos and yukatas too. So elegant and cute! I think there are enough celestial themed ponies to do a Tanabata inspired fastival style proper. Or even throw a Tanabata pony at us.

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 25, 2020, 02:10:00 PM »
Now a Tanabata pony I could entirely get on board with. ;)

|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal