collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Barbie BMR1959  (Read 2821 times)

Offline Zapper

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
Barbie BMR1959
« on: August 17, 2020, 01:00:51 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/embed/BjEFRg_iAWM

Is anyone into these? Second wave hit a couple of weeks ago. I have heard/read their faces tend to be pixelated due to the screening process but quality looks great otherwise.

You might probably think the fashions are ugly but I am into things like that :lol:
I like how this is all sporty, bright looking with some "unflattering" cuts as they say. I am getting some 90s vibes, too with the biker shorts and neon translucent raincoats... but we need more tiny backpacks! :P

BMR1959 stands for Barbie's full name and the year the first Barbie doll came out. At first I thought it was a pricy collab with a fashion label but these are all in-house designs and the dolls are all MtM bodies and surprisingly affordable compared to Mattel's other offerings for adult collectors. You could get one for a kid, which is nice!

Unboxings of both waves:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFiQf1YgG5Q

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bdb6KxjlqFI

Offline Nemesis

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • Material Girl
    • View Profile
Re: Barbie BMR1959
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2020, 01:26:16 PM »
I love these! Such a great 90s vibe. :)

I have the entire first wave, and was so excited to see them continue the line with a second. I love the new set, and I’ll be grabbing them as soon as I’ve caught up with the other late summer toy releases (it’s been a big year for fashion dolls!).

I also like mid-range priced collectibles best. Paying over $120 for a single new Barbie because they chose to make a limited number of them... is not my thing. $120-ish is my ceiling for a vinyl doll of that quality. But these are so nice and affordable for all! I hope they continue to make more, or even expand into other fashion styles.
🌈⭐️Check out my wishlist! Seeking all generations of ponies, Fashion Star Fillies, Magic Meadow Ponies, REMCO ponies, Sweetie Pups/Kitties, cutesy 80s/90s toys, and more!🦄🌙

Offline Zapper

• Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2020, 01:53:32 PM »
Which one is your fave? I really love the tall girl in the second wave and in general these Kens are blowing Magic Earring Ken out of the water :lol:

I hope they continue to make more, or even expand into other fashion styles.

Uhh, good idea. Like Fashionistas but for adults.

Offline Nemesis

• Material Girl
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2020, 03:09:39 PM »
Ooh... choosing a favorite is hard! I really love the first wave doll with the long microbraids, but also the green-haired Ken (who indeed gives Magic Earring Ken a run for his money). From the new wave I’m loving both the petite doll with the purple hair and the tall one you mentioned. They’re all so unique, though—they each have their own charms. ^_^

I would love to see different decades of fashion represented in different waves. 80s, 60s, etc.—but with a modernized twist. The existing dolls are doing a fantastic job of calling back to the 90s without falling into parody territory.
🌈⭐️Check out my wishlist! Seeking all generations of ponies, Fashion Star Fillies, Magic Meadow Ponies, REMCO ponies, Sweetie Pups/Kitties, cutesy 80s/90s toys, and more!🦄🌙

Offline Zapper

• Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2020, 04:54:59 PM »
I would love to see different decades of fashion represented in different waves. 80s, 60s, etc.—but with a modernized twist. The existing dolls are doing a fantastic job of calling back to the 90s without falling into parody territory.

I'd die. The doll devil is tempting me enough with these. But nice idea! I'd be most interested to see a modern take on the 70s without looking like 00s MyScene ;)
We all loved our low cut bellbottoms back then, urgh.

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2020, 08:12:03 AM »
why all are the cool Barbies only available on the website?
If they were on store shelves, I am sure kids would appreciate them :( 

The Bad Trader List
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline kCherry

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+244)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • *-* Smart Doll Obsessed *-*
    • View Profile
    • Studio 7th Sanctuary is now on Facebook
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2020, 01:27:02 PM »
Those are super fun!!!

why all are the cool Barbies only available on the website?
If they were on store shelves, I am sure kids would appreciate them :( 

Are they not? A websearch says you can find them at Target and Walmart or is that also online only? I couldn't tell with light digging.

If that is the case, I wholeheartedly agree!! I'd never buy them offline, but I'd surely impulse buy them in person and with no regrets later. :huh:

I'm totally digging the crazy fashions, too!!! :lovey:

My Etsy shop O Ponies *** My Youtube Channel

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2020, 02:17:43 PM »
I’ve seen a few of these at Barnes and Noble in their Barbie section.

Ponyfan

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2020, 03:47:09 PM »

Are they not? A websearch says you can find them at Target and Walmart or is that also online only? I couldn't tell with light digging.

In Canada they are online only. 
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline Zapper

• Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2020, 05:10:37 AM »
And so my vow to not buy any dolls in 2020 has been broken. But I think it was worth it :blush:

Not my best photos, I just quickly wanted to take a couple of snapshots:

[img width= height= alt=20200831-133556" border="0]https://i.ibb.co/DWkk46p/20200831-133556.jpg[/img] visitors can't see pics , please register or login

As you can see, this girl is crazy versatile and her outfit is, too. If anyone thinks that green dress looks familiar, I got this off ebay from a Chinese seller back when MH was still in production. It's MH fabric but a 2010 Barbie cut ;) It's a little tight on this one because the tall bodies have very little waist definition but it looks great with the boots.

That other Barbie is the new Rockers drummer. I was so happy to see the BMR raincoat can contain her afro. She used to be my only one for a long time, now she's got a bandmate and I actually asked to have the AA petite girl for my birthday, so my Barbie count will go up to three in September. So much for "no more dolls", urgh.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2020, 05:12:27 AM by Zapper »

Offline kCherry

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+244)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • *-* Smart Doll Obsessed *-*
    • View Profile
    • Studio 7th Sanctuary is now on Facebook
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2020, 07:32:50 AM »
These are super cool! I love how poseable they are and the fashions really do go a long way to bring out the characters and personalities. They are just Fun!! Congrats on your first dolls of the year! :D

So much for "no more dolls", urgh.

I will never utter these words. I know myself tooooo well! :P

My Etsy shop O Ponies *** My Youtube Channel

Offline Zapper

• Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2020, 08:57:42 AM »
These are super cool! I love how poseable they are and the fashions really do go a long way to bring out the characters and personalities. They are just Fun!! Congrats on your first dolls of the year! :D

So much for "no more dolls", urgh.

I will never utter these words. I know myself tooooo well! :P

Thanks :biggrin: Mattel coming out with the second wave of BMR was like the devil offering you water in the desert.

Here is the current looks I settled on:

Please excuse my disgusting balcony, it's algae-ridden.

Until Petite Claudette arrives and becomes the drummer instead of the regular girl. She is just too big for the tiny drumset. I don't get why Mattel didn't choose a petite body for the drummer in the first place. Kids actually play with these and aren't just posing them awkwardly like me :P

Offline Nemesis

• Material Girl
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2020, 09:12:05 AM »
Ooh, congrats on the new doll! :D

As for Mattel making props too small... Have you seen Barbie’s current horses? <_<; I’ve never felt so sorry for a plastic animal before. I estimate that Mattel is now using 50% less materials per accessory, on average. :P
« Last Edit: August 31, 2020, 09:13:54 AM by Nemesis »

Offline Zapper

• Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2020, 09:51:26 AM »
Ooh, congrats on the new doll! :D

As for Mattel making props too small... Have you seen Barbie’s current horses? <_<; I’ve never felt so sorry for a plastic animal before. I estimate that Mattel is now using 50% less materials per accessory, on average. :P

Thanks ^^ And wtf, that's maybe Tawny's baby. But the horses have been steadily going downhill since they retired the prancing Arabian mold, imo. The horses from the 80s are still the best, the Big Jim ones.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2020, 09:53:03 AM by Zapper »

Offline Zapper

• Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2020, 02:39:24 AM »
As I thought, the perfect doll for this drumset is the MtM Petite:

How awesome does that look?!? Click to enlarge.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal