collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Customizers' chit-chat thread  (Read 46530 times)

Offline Starflashbaby

• Trade Count: (+33)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • When life throws you bricks, build a Castle!
    • View Profile
    • Instagram
Re: Customizers' chit-chat thread
« Reply #375 on: May 18, 2022, 12:44:16 PM »
Does anyone know how dismantle a G2? My mom brought home a hole bag of G2s for me from church rummage sale & they need help...

If they are the "normal" kind, I believe the heads just pop off.  The catch is that they are made of very stiff material compared to other generations so it is hard to get them off...I recommend boiling the pony to soften it.  But be careful of the hot water, use a big towel to handle the pony.  I made two G2 customs and I don't even remember how I got the heads off...but I'm guessing it was with boiling water.
Thank you I'll have to give that a shot when I have time. I also have a mechanical one that's in need of help too but I don't know if I'm going to tear it apart or leave it alone... maybe a good cleaning would help the mold smell And let them dry fully. They were placed in a plastic bag wet so they have a moldy smell too them now... I don't know how to get that out.

Edit I think I got the smell of mold off the G2s I don't think I have to do anything else with them as far as restoring them. Thanks...
« Last Edit: May 18, 2022, 06:34:53 PM by Starflashbaby »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Sales, WTB, Commissions Open

Offline Colorscapesart

• "BE COOL!"
  • Trade Count: (+204)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Fakie!
    • View Profile
    • Custom Ponies
« Reply #376 on: May 20, 2022, 06:50:40 AM »
Oh yess Egyptian theme for the Pegasus definitely! For the unicorn maybe some planets & stars.
As for the Fjord horse I don't know what kind of horse that is but it looks Great!

Does anyone know how dismantle a G2? My mom brought home a hole bag of G2s for me from church rummage sale & they need help...

I second Sunpony.  The tricky part is if they are a "gimmicky" G2 with weird motion legs or tails.  Do you have any pics?

Kaelynn those baits are to die for!!  What paint did you use if I may ask?  That Fjord is incredible too.  I love how you captured so much subtle coloring in the coat. :swoon:

Offline kaelynn

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
    • KaeLynn Design on Etsy
« Reply #377 on: May 21, 2022, 06:51:46 AM »
Kaelynn those baits are to die for!!  What paint did you use if I may ask?  That Fjord is incredible too.  I love how you captured so much subtle coloring in the coat. :swoon:

Thank you so much!   :blush:  The paint is a brand called Spazstix which is actually a transparent glaze like coating that needs to go over another color.  I did a coat of black on both ponies first to try to get the most sparkle and color.  I don't remember who it was, but I actually heard about the Spazstix from another customizer years ago (2013 I think?) and purchased it then.  I tried it once at that time and wasn't very successful with it and managed to ruin a (fortunately cheap) airbrush with it by trying to run straight water through the airbrush afterwards to clean it.  The leftover glaze ended up seizing up in the brush like glue!  I've learned better now and I run a homemade thinning solution through several times before running a cleaner through after using it.  It still leaves the airbrush a bit sticky so I have a dedicated (cheap!) airbrush for it.

It's funny, I had almost convinced myself that the customizer who was using it years ago was you, but I guess not!   :lol:

For those wondering what a Fjord horse is, here's one of my reference pics:

I did some more work on him, including his eyes and I'm much happier now.  He just needs his hair!

Commissions are OPEN!
Find me on Instagram @ kaelynn_design
KaeLynn Design on Etsy - https://www.etsy.com/shop/KaeLynnDesign

Offline Starflashbaby

• Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
    • Instagram
« Reply #378 on: May 23, 2022, 04:00:17 PM »
Colorscapesart - Yes I do have pics. I should of said that some of them need help not all the G2s need help.
I have for sales list going up soon so I'll just show that giving you all first dibs k.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/rxnLHpaFJ78sgq3Q7

Kaelynn - the Fjord Custom is exactly what a Fjord horse looks like! Great Job!! Beautiful!

Pic#6 has baits
Clever Clover - missing an eye & discoloration
Berry something next to Clever Clover- missing aneye & full-body discoloration
The one next to the red X Sun something both eyes are missing along with 2 hair plug. Mechanical still works.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2022, 04:16:00 PM by Starflashbaby »

Offline Griffin

• Staff
  • Trade Count: (+89)
  • aka Haawan | she/her
    • View Profile
    • Haawan Pony Customs
« Reply #379 on: May 27, 2022, 11:21:15 PM »
I've finally made some progress with the forest druid themed pony for my friend! I've been working on this pony on and off (mostly off, lol!) for a couple of years now, I think... :yikes: The last WIP pics I found were from April 2021. Granted, this pony required a lot of prep work. Someone had already customised the pony once, the old paintwork was partially stripped when I received the bait. A lot of acetone and elbow grease was required to remove the rest of the paint, though! I also had to sculpt new eyes since this was a Gingerbread and my friend asked for normal eyes.

Here's the progress from the last couple of days:

Actually I'm lying, I've already painted two out of the four animals. :biggrin: But they'll remain a secret until the pony is finished! ;)

I've always done sculpting first but I'm trying something different now, horns and antlers sometimes take damage in the rehair process so I'm planning to finish the paintwork and rehairing first and sculpt the antlers later. I hope it works out!

deviantART | Haawan Pony Customs | Aithne reference
Avatar by FizzyScrumptious, signature by tailrustedtealeaf - thank you ♥

Offline bright rabbit 1

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Titan Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #380 on: May 28, 2022, 04:50:55 AM »
Still working on my Doctor Who custom dolls near enough completed the First Doctor Era. Trying to figure out if I should use a Draco Malfoy doll for the First Doctor and add lines to the face. Wish they did Lucius Malfoy doll so that I could use him.

A mother pony can be protective of her young just like dogs.

Friend Code: SW-4221-8531-0056

Offline BlackCurtains

• Mad Scientist
  • Trade Count: (+69)
  • Orange ponies are the best.
    • View Profile
    • BlackCurtains Crafts
« Reply #381 on: May 28, 2022, 05:49:38 AM »
Griffin, he looks beautiful. I was staring at the antlers for a while because at first they looked like glass. Then you said you hadn't sculpted them yet and I realized that's aluminum foil :lol:

I've put my ponies on hold for the moment. I want to make a wing sculpting tutorial, so I'm going to do that instead. I'll probably end up making two or maybe three customs just because I'll have the wings.

Instagram | Facebook
Commissions are Closed
Avatar and sig by Mione (offsite)

Offline Griffin

• Staff
  • aka Haawan | she/her
    • View Profile
    • Haawan Pony Customs
« Reply #382 on: May 28, 2022, 10:02:56 AM »
Griffin, he looks beautiful. I was staring at the antlers for a while because at first they looked like glass. Then you said you hadn't sculpted them yet and I realized that's aluminum foil :lol:

Thanks! Oh wow, glass antlers would be so cool! And fragile :lol:

Offline Pokeyonekenobie

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: May 29, 2022, 11:30:23 AM »

Thanks! Oh wow, glass antlers would be so cool! And fragile :lol:

You could use clear resin.  Then they'd look like glass without being glass.

Offline Starflashbaby

• Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
    • Instagram
« Reply #384 on: June 17, 2022, 03:29:43 PM »
When using sealer what kind do you use. Asking about both gloss & matte.
Thank you everyone
*Starflashbaby*

Offline SunPony

• Trade Count: (+49)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #385 on: June 17, 2022, 03:33:56 PM »
Thank you everyone
*Starflashbaby*

I use Vallejo brand polyurethane matte (which I learned the hard way you have to roll it around to homogenize it before every use! But it is great once you know that!).  For eyes I use a Games Workshop gloss. These are both applied with paintbrushes.
Thanks to Shimmlight for the new avatar image  :biggrin:

Offline Griffin

• Staff
  • aka Haawan | she/her
    • View Profile
    • Haawan Pony Customs
« Reply #386 on: June 18, 2022, 01:13:45 AM »
Thank you everyone
*Starflashbaby*

I use Vallejo brand polyurethane matte (which I learned the hard way you have to roll it around to homogenize it before every use! But it is great once you know that!).  For eyes I use a Games Workshop gloss. These are both applied with paintbrushes.

Polyurethane (matte) for me too, I use Folk Art brand but I've noticed it's hard to find these days... I should keep my eyes open for Vallejo!

My gloss varnish is also Folk Art, for some weird reason it's for both indoor and outdoor use. I've never noticed any problems with it.

And yes, it's important to mix the varnish properly before use! The bottle tells me to shake it gently or roll on the tabletop, but I also learned it the hard way that this only works when it's a fresh bottle. Now I always give it a good stir, otherwise it will come out glossy. :D

Offline BlackCurtains

• Mad Scientist
  • Trade Count: (+69)
  • Orange ponies are the best.
    • View Profile
    • BlackCurtains Crafts
« Reply #387 on: June 18, 2022, 04:44:50 AM »
I use Testor's Dulcote. It's a spray. It doesn't go tacky in the heat, so it's perfect for me.

For eyes and shiny bits I like Triple Thick.

I also use Sculpey glaze, matte and gloss, more for my miniatures than ponies.

Instagram | Facebook
Commissions are Closed
Avatar and sig by Mione (offsite)

Offline Starflashbaby

• Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
    • Instagram
« Reply #388 on: June 18, 2022, 12:50:11 PM »
SunPony Is it difficult to use the Vallejo Polyurethane?
BlackCurtains I never thought of using Testors Dulcote but the last time I used a spray it was sticky...  :huh:
Griffin - I saw the Folkart one but then I saw this on Amazon thought I should share it with everyone  :biggrin:

This is the Matte Acrylic Matte Varnish
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0027ACI0G/ref=ox_sc_saved_image_2?smid=AAEDTWA517U80&th=1

And this is the Gloss Varnish
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0027A3HNI/ref=ox_sc_saved_image_2?smid=AAEDTWA517U80&th=1

I like using Acrylic Paints so I thought this might work and thought you might like it too. I never tried it yet but when I get the money I'll buy it... even though its sooo tempting to buy now that its on sale right now.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2022, 12:51:45 PM by Starflashbaby »

Offline SunPony

• Trade Count: (+49)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #389 on: June 20, 2022, 09:32:23 AM »
SunPony Is it difficult to use the Vallejo Polyurethane?
No, you just make sure your pony is thoroughly dry, mix the sealant (see Griffin's comments above), then paint the sealant on with a paintbrush.  You do need to make sure your brush is very clean and isn't getting any tiny fibers into the sealant, that is probably the only potentially hard part.  Then after it is completely dry you do a second coat.
Thanks to Shimmlight for the new avatar image  :biggrin:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal