collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Customizers' chit-chat thread  (Read 46986 times)

Offline Colorscapesart

• "BE COOL!"
  • Trade Count: (+204)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Fakie!
    • View Profile
    • Custom Ponies
Re: Customizers' chit-chat thread
« Reply #360 on: May 04, 2022, 07:43:38 AM »
BC- congrats on stretching yourself!  I go between the excitement of wanting to start all the things! and the tension of too much to do. Seems to be eternal. 
I also have a double action Paasche (from Hobby Lobby about 10 years ago).  They seem to be selling iwata these days.  I'm only sad because it was nice to snag parts as needed when they carried Paasche.
Airbrushing is an art and technique all it's own and from what little I know it seems to be a long game.  I get better and worse and I always learn.

Thank you guys for your input on the pricing <3 I have a test repaint only up for $15 so if it's snapped up immediately I may creep that to $20.  When it's original hair it saves me a good bit of time and supplies and I don't mind passing that on.  Every repaint only that I do is to practice more than anything.  Right now I'm practicing with my Archer and Olive acrylograph pens.  I love how vibrant and easy there are but some colors require more layers and they can get kinda chunky looking after 4 or 5 layers.  They are fun but not a replacement for a paintbrush as far as blending and fine details go. 

Offline kaelynn

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
    • KaeLynn Design on Etsy
« Reply #361 on: May 06, 2022, 10:33:09 AM »
Would you guys think I was crazy if I admitted that I have 12 customs in various stages right now?  :devious:

It's an all time high for me that's for sure.  I was getting my airbrushing station set up in a different place and decided that if I was going to do some airbrushing I'd like to get a whole bunch of baits prepped at once.

Oh actually I just remembered one more...make that 13!  :lmao:  If anyone's interested I can make a list with what stage of completion they are in.  :D

BlackCurtains:  the first time I saw what Colorscapesart was doing with the acrylograph pens I had to order some.  My first set is waiting for me at the post office right now...I can't wait to try them out!

Colorscapesart:  can't wait to see the rest of the butterfly girls!  :inlove:
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Commissions are OPEN!
Find me on Instagram @ kaelynn_design
KaeLynn Design on Etsy - https://www.etsy.com/shop/KaeLynnDesign

Offline Griffin

• Staff
  • Trade Count: (+89)
  • aka Haawan | she/her
    • View Profile
    • Haawan Pony Customs
« Reply #362 on: May 06, 2022, 10:44:49 AM »
Would you guys think I was crazy if I admitted that I have 12 customs in various stages right now?  :devious:

It's an all time high for me that's for sure.  I was getting my airbrushing station set up in a different place and decided that if I was going to do some airbrushing I'd like to get a whole bunch of baits prepped at once.

Oh actually I just remembered one more...make that 13!  :lmao:  If anyone's interested I can make a list with what stage of completion they are in.  :D

I'd love to see a list! And totally not crazy, whatever works for you! Sometimes it's easier to work on several customs at once, makes the process more streamlined just like BC said.

I'm now working on a way overdue contest prize custom for Goanna, and while getting the supplies out I'm trying to continue working on the custom for my friend, that one has been sitting around for months now if not closer to a year... :blush: I have several more ideas I'd like to play around with but we'll see, I don't want to get carried away and burn myself out again.

deviantART | Haawan Pony Customs | Aithne reference
Avatar by FizzyScrumptious, signature by tailrustedtealeaf - thank you ♥

Offline kaelynn

• Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
    • KaeLynn Design on Etsy
« Reply #363 on: May 06, 2022, 11:07:46 AM »

I'd love to see a list! And totally not crazy, whatever works for you! Sometimes it's easier to work on several customs at once, makes the process more streamlined just like BC said.

Ok, here they are in order from oldest to newest:

Frisk - OC fairy pony of mine from PonyIsland - FBR done, needs detail painting, rehairing and cellophane wings
Joy - OC reindeer pony of mine from PonyIsland - apoxie sculpting done of hooves, tail and antlers, needs sanding, FBR, detail painting & rehairing
Angel - OC dino pony of mine from PonyIsland - working on full body mods, frill, ears and toes are done and tail is mid process
Those three are personal G3 customs and I just tend to work on them when the mood strikes me in between others.  :D

G1 Nachlicht - FBR done, dark blue highlights done, needs detail painting & rehairing
Harley Quinn (G3) - in process sculpting clothing from Cosclay, so far just her shorts are done
20's Flapper girl (G3) - FBR in flesh tone done, working on designing her dress using fringed trim
Diamond (G3) - white FBR with iridescent silver highlights done, needs detail painting and rehairing
Black Diamond (G3) - Black FBR with iridescent silver highlights done, needs detail painting and rehairing
Fjord Horse (G1) - Dun FBR done, needs shading on legs and muzzle, then detail painting and rehairing
Unnamed G1 - FBR with color change paint in red/orange/gold - not sure where I'm going with that one!  lol
Unnamed G1 - FBR with color change paint in purple/green/teal - also not sure there
Unnamed G3 - FBR with rose gold paint that I'm not totally happy with so not sure there either
Shamrock (G4) - no FBR, rehaired, needs detail painting

Whew!  That should keep me busy for a while!  :rofl:

Commissions are OPEN!

Offline Griffin

• Staff
  • Trade Count: (+89)
  • aka Haawan | she/her
    • View Profile
    • Haawan Pony Customs
« Reply #364 on: May 06, 2022, 01:13:41 PM »
Thanks for sharing your list - I can't wait to see those ponies completed! (Omg a Fjord horse :heart:)

deviantART | Haawan Pony Customs | Aithne reference
Avatar by FizzyScrumptious, signature by tailrustedtealeaf - thank you ♥

Offline BlackCurtains

• Mad Scientist
  • Trade Count: (+69)
  • Orange ponies are the best.
    • View Profile
    • BlackCurtains Crafts
« Reply #365 on: May 06, 2022, 02:55:23 PM »
That's quite a list. Mine is short but has new things I've never done before.

WIP 1 G3 - The Golden Pheasant. Honestly, the hardest sculpting part is done (the tail). The wings, fancy side-butt feathers, neck feathers and chest and body feathers are next to sculpt. I think I can get away with doing like half 3D half 2D on the chest and body.
WIP 2 G1 - Black Hoarfrost Pegasus. This is a Big Brother I started ...4 years? ago. Inspired by the PonyIsland advent from that year. Again, the hard part is done, his wings. All he needs is airbrushed, detailed and rehaired.
FRILLY PINK DRESS G1- Yes. I'm going to attempt the sculpting with papier-mâché.
Koi G3 - Assuming I get the hand of the papier-mâché, I'll do similar on this one which will have a 3D koi fish on it.

@kaelynn - How is the Cosclay? I've never used it. I second the Fjord horse love and I'm interested in the color shift ones.

Belltock Raincurl
Commissions are Closed
Avatar and sig by Mione (offsite)

Offline kaelynn

• Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
    • KaeLynn Design on Etsy
« Reply #366 on: May 07, 2022, 01:53:40 PM »
BlackCurtains:  the Cosclay is very similar to Super Sculpey in feel and workability.  I haven't done much to test it's flexibility after baking yet but I'm hoping that flexibility will be enough to prevent any breakage or cracking in the finished pony.

I love your list!  So many interesting things!  I can't wait to see your finished ponies!

Commissions are OPEN!

Offline Starflashbaby

• Trade Count: (+33)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • When life throws you bricks, build a Castle!
    • View Profile
    • Instagram
« Reply #367 on: May 11, 2022, 08:42:35 PM »
BlackCurtains & Kaelynn
Your lists are amazing!
I was working on 3 ponies at once last Month now its 2 ponies :blush:
4Speed I finished
I've been commissioned to do Mack#52 on the Bears team
& I restarted my Harley Quinn last month.
Harley Quinn started out as my practice pony but merged into Harley last year but poor quality so last month I made a pic on the computer what she is supposed to look like & stripped her of her paint. 

Sales, WTB, Commissions Open

Offline kaelynn

• Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
    • KaeLynn Design on Etsy
« Reply #368 on: May 12, 2022, 08:53:39 AM »
Well I ended up adding another two customs to my list because I dug up a couple of WIPs from several years ago.  :rofl:

G1 Big Brother "Big Mac" - orange FBR done, working on eyes and apple symbol
G1 Posey bait chocolate Rocky Mountain Horse - brown FBR done, working on eyes

Commissions are OPEN!

Offline Starflashbaby

• Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
    • Instagram
« Reply #369 on: May 12, 2022, 10:02:00 AM »
Well I ended up adding another two customs to my list because I dug up a couple of WIPs from several years ago.  :rofl:

OOHHH These two will be awsome I Love Rocky Mountain horses and a big brother Big Mac sounds amazing!

Offline kaelynn

• Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
    • KaeLynn Design on Etsy
« Reply #370 on: May 14, 2022, 07:00:17 AM »

OOHHH These two will be awsome I Love Rocky Mountain horses and a big brother Big Mac sounds amazing!

Thanks!  I hope they turn out well!

I need some suggestions or advice on three of the customs I'm working on....

I've got these two FBRs done, I took a pic in the sun and out to show the sparklyness but the pics still don't quite do them justice.  I'm just not quite sure where to go next with them!  I have no ideas for hair, eyes, nothing...I'm wondering if I should try selling them as is to other customizers?

And I'm wondering how the repaint is looking on my Fjord Horse?  I think it looks good and is ready for eyes, but I need some fresh eyes to look at it and tell me what they think.  My husband says it looks amazing but he thinks everything I make is amazing so his opinion is biased.   :lol:

Does it look like a Fjord Horse?

Commissions are OPEN!

Offline BlackCurtains

• Mad Scientist
  • Trade Count: (+69)
  • Orange ponies are the best.
    • View Profile
    • BlackCurtains Crafts
« Reply #371 on: May 14, 2022, 08:30:47 AM »
Ooh, those shimmery bodies are gorgeous! I don't know where you do your hair shopping but The Doll Planet has metallic colors that would look fab with them. This might sound weird, but when I first saw them I thought of jewel beetles. For the first one, you could do an Egyptian theme maybe? The second, a space theme?

The horse looks great! I think it looks like a Fjord.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2022, 08:32:51 AM by BlackCurtains »

Belltock Raincurl
Commissions are Closed
Avatar and sig by Mione (offsite)

Offline kaelynn

• Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
    • KaeLynn Design on Etsy
« Reply #372 on: May 14, 2022, 11:47:03 AM »
Ooh, those shimmery bodies are gorgeous! I don't know where you do your hair shopping but The Doll Planet has metallic colors that would look fab with them. This might sound weird, but when I first saw them I thought of jewel beetles. For the first one, you could do an Egyptian theme maybe? The second, a space theme?

The horse looks great! I think it looks like a Fjord.

Ooh I love the Egyptian theme!  As soon as I read that I knew what I would do…thank you!   :biggrin:

I’ll have to ponder a space theme for the unicorn. Nothing jumps right out at me yet.  :wonder:

So far I’ve just been using up the hair that I had purchased from Dollyhair but I just got an order from The Doll Planet with the hair for the Fjord horse and I was impressed with how quickly it came.  I’ll check out their metallic colors, they sound really interesting!

Commissions are OPEN!

Offline Starflashbaby

• Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
    • Instagram
« Reply #373 on: May 17, 2022, 04:22:27 PM »
Oh yess Egyptian theme for the Pegasus definitely! For the unicorn maybe some planets & stars.
As for the Fjord horse I don't know what kind of horse that is but it looks Great!

Does anyone know how dismantle a G2? My mom brought home a hole bag of G2s for me from church rummage sale & they need help...

Offline SunPony

• Trade Count: (+49)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #374 on: May 17, 2022, 04:45:56 PM »
Does anyone know how dismantle a G2? My mom brought home a hole bag of G2s for me from church rummage sale & they need help...

If they are the "normal" kind, I believe the heads just pop off.  The catch is that they are made of very stiff material compared to other generations so it is hard to get them off...I recommend boiling the pony to soften it.  But be careful of the hot water, use a big towel to handle the pony.  I made two G2 customs and I don't even remember how I got the heads off...but I'm guessing it was with boiling water.
Thanks to Shimmlight for the new avatar image  :biggrin:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal