collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Customizers' chit-chat thread  (Read 46561 times)

Offline Ponybookworm

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • MOC Mimic
  • All Pony Literature appreciated!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Customizers' chit-chat thread
« Reply #225 on: October 15, 2021, 07:59:02 AM »
It's the last of the Halloween Ponies: the G3 Boy. And if the other thread holds off long enough, he can get his debut with all the orange Ponies...

My isues wi the gitd paint are when mixing it with other colours. The peel-off thing isn't a huge worry after a good spray of my spray sealant (so far, so work)

I'm waiting for something to arrive to do the hair, then give it a good clean off so it doesn't affect the body
My Mascots (so far): Twisty Tail, G2 Trixiebelle, Starcatcher, Twilight Sparkle. All variants & pictures of these are appreciated. Piccies courtesy of Griffin, Blumiere, Littlebabyribbon, & Starscout
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Griffin

• Staff
  • Trade Count: (+89)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • aka Haawan | she/her
    • View Profile
    • Haawan Pony Customs
« Reply #226 on: October 15, 2021, 09:05:05 AM »
Why are you mixing it with other colours? Would it work if you just applied the GITD paint on top of the colour? These are genuine questions, I've never worked with GITD paint so I honestly don't know! But isn't it kind of colourless and see-through in daylight? Or does it look ugly? :D

deviantART | Haawan Pony Customs | Aithne reference
Avatar by FizzyScrumptious, signature by tailrustedtealeaf - thank you ♥

Offline AnnaPommes

• glow-in-the-dark pony
  • Trade Count: (+62)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • Pommes cute things
« Reply #227 on: October 15, 2021, 09:48:17 AM »
oh, interesting topics here!!
For glow in the dark paint: i know that some people just buy "glow in the dark" pigments and mix them with glue. would that work out? i did that once a few yars back and it worked!
~ Visit the Pommes-shop ~
www.etsy.com/shop/AnnagretStudio With usefull artprints, cute decor, stationery and crafting kits!
Or linktree with more fancy things!
wonderfull avatar by the lovely Shaiyeh!

Offline Ponybookworm

• MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: October 16, 2021, 04:38:43 AM »
My current GITD paint is one colour: a whitish shade. By mixing it I can make it other colours in the light.
My Mascots (so far): Twisty Tail, G2 Trixiebelle, Starcatcher, Twilight Sparkle. All variants & pictures of these are appreciated. Piccies courtesy of Griffin, Blumiere, Littlebabyribbon, & Starscout

Offline TwistedRiver

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • Please leave feedback for transactions :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: October 16, 2021, 05:20:17 AM »
I've had GiTD paint that was see through and only showed up in the dark or under black light. And I've had GiTD paint that was pigmented different colors.
What I've learned though is that pigmented paints usually end up having a much weaker glow.

I would love to get customizing again but at the moment I'm not sure I have the time/space needed for yet another crafty project. I haven't even gotten any of the doll painting I've been planning since midsummer or before.

Thanks so much Nence and Valerie for my adorable siggy and Shaiyeh for my beautiful Avvi.

Offline bright rabbit 1

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Titan Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: October 17, 2021, 08:21:36 AM »
Just painted my headless Pegasus pony black by miss Bloody Red (what I used to paint Big Mac), Magic Blue (had no idea why I brought that paint) and Sun Yellow) to make black seeing as I can’t get my hands on Vallejo Black till I get a gift card.

A mother pony can be protective of her young just like dogs.

Friend Code: SW-4221-8531-0056

Offline TickledPink

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+98)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: October 21, 2021, 06:20:38 PM »
You know it's been a good sculpting session when you can't get the globs of apoxie sculpt off your finger tips! :D  I ended up having to use sandpaper, lol.
The weirdo formally known as ImmortalPanda

Offline TwistedRiver

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • Please leave feedback for transactions :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: October 21, 2021, 06:53:08 PM »
I've yet to try using apoxie all my sculpting has either been done with air dry clay or sculpy.
How much working time does apoxie give you?

Thanks so much Nence and Valerie for my adorable siggy and Shaiyeh for my beautiful Avvi.

Offline TickledPink

• Arena Supporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: October 21, 2021, 07:17:46 PM »
It really depends, I think my batch of apoxie sculpt was sitting on the shelf for a bit, so I get roughly 2 hrs of easy working time. Super fresh stuff gave about 3 hrs, but it seems to also depend on the weather.

I dont reccomend using air dry clay on customs. It doesn't stick very well, and there is too much shrinkage as it dries. It's also really fragile.

Offline AnnaPommes

• glow-in-the-dark pony
  • Trade Count: (+62)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • Pommes cute things
« Reply #234 on: October 21, 2021, 11:11:28 PM »
apoxie is nice and gets real sturdy once hardened. Like TickledPink said, it sticks well to customs and has close to no shrinkage - AND you can apply it on models that you can not put in the oven. ^^
~ Visit the Pommes-shop ~
www.etsy.com/shop/AnnagretStudio With usefull artprints, cute decor, stationery and crafting kits!
Or linktree with more fancy things!
wonderfull avatar by the lovely Shaiyeh!

Online BlackCurtains

• Mad Scientist
  • Trade Count: (+69)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Orange ponies are the best.
    • View Profile
    • BlackCurtains Crafts
« Reply #235 on: October 23, 2021, 08:40:16 AM »
I tried to love apoxie sculpt and it has its uses, but personally I prefer polymer clay. Everyone is different though :)

In other news, I'm making progress on the memorial custom and I've decided to make a Halloween pony too. I hope I can finish it on time, but it might be late.

Instagram | Facebook
Commissions are Closed
Avatar and sig by Mione (offsite)

Offline Ponybookworm

• MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: October 23, 2021, 08:23:48 PM »
Waiting for new glue as the stuff I currently have is, to put it mildly, useless unless you're gluing paper, & I ran out of the good stuff working on a craft project

Offline TickledPink

• Arena Supporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: October 24, 2021, 02:29:17 AM »
I tried to love apoxie sculpt and it has its uses, but personally I prefer polymer clay. Everyone is different though :)

I didn't really like apoxie sculpt for awhile, there is definitely a learning curve to it. There are some things I definitely prefer using sculpey for though!

Offline Ponybookworm

• MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: October 26, 2021, 08:15:16 PM »
The thing with Apoxie sculpt is it comes in two parts. You have to get the two parts as near the same size as possible, & mix as thoroughly as possible. After that you can work with it

One good thing I've noticed is, apart from the purple, off-white Apoxie sculpt dyes in Rit Dyemore, along with the Pony!!! I tried a purple dye, but the Apoxie sculpt turned an inky blue. Every other colour so far took to the Apoxie sculpt the way it was meant to. My latest Custom, as a G3 Boy, has hoof tufts made of Apoxie sculpt, & I dyed those orange. They turned out an almost perfect match for the Pony

Offline SunPony

• Trade Count: (+49)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: October 27, 2021, 06:16:53 PM »

In other news, I'm making progress on the memorial custom and I've decided to make a Halloween pony too. I hope I can finish it on time, but it might be late.

I'm real excited to see whatever you come up with for both.  I love seeing your customs, and it has been awhile since you did one, yeah?  And doing a memorial custom is so meaningful.  :lovey: I feel anticipation building.  :)

I finally came back from my camping trip.  I'm still so busy with my second job, but I reeeaaallly want to start a G5 custom...I have so many ideas but so little time.  Getting into the inside of the G5 3" brushable head looks like it will be very hard to do, I fear accidentally stabbing myself.  :shocked: Maybe if I put it in boiling water first?
Thanks to Shimmlight for the new avatar image  :biggrin:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal