collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Customizers' chit-chat thread  (Read 46552 times)

Offline ChocolateStarfire

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • I Love Ponies...Always!
    • View Profile
    • Enchanting Customs
Re: Customizers' chit-chat thread
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2020, 09:13:38 PM »
I'm going to make my own spin on the Hasbro GhostbustersXMLP pony using a G1 hqg1c big brother pony...he will have a sculpted jumpsuit, a Kenner RGB proton pack and glow-in-the-dark mane/tail elements. I wasn't happy with the official pony at all, and I think both franchises deserve better for a crossover pony.

Here is what the official pony looks like: visitors can't see pics , please register or login
« Last Edit: August 03, 2020, 09:18:08 PM by ChocolateStarfire »
My MLP customs
My eBay Sales
Brightbow Avvy-SquarePeg :lovey:

Offline Mewtwofan1

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Currently stumbling through somewhere. Send help.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2020, 11:17:05 PM »
Not really an MLP custom, but I am currently working on an OOAK doll as a gift for a friend. I’m working on sewing clothes for him, but I’m still not used to working on such a tiny scale, and my hands are a bit large and clunky.
     Also waiting on a delivery of hair for another ooak doll.
This. Sentence. Is. False! Dontthinkaboutitdontthinkaboutit.

Offline Griffin

• Staff
  • Trade Count: (+89)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • aka Haawan | she/her
    • View Profile
    • Haawan Pony Customs
« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2020, 11:38:48 PM »
@Griffin
Regarding stripping the paint, is it safe to use the Pine Sol bath method on ponies?

Hmm not heard of that before. I don't think Pine Sol is available here. Acetone does the trick, it's just a tedious process.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

deviantART | Haawan Pony Customs | Aithne reference
Avatar by FizzyScrumptious, signature by tailrustedtealeaf - thank you ♥

Offline pandabear_chan

• Trade Count: (+393)
    • View Profile
    • http://customsbypandabear.deviantart.com
« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2020, 11:53:06 PM »
That is really a nice thread because it's lovely to see everyone has so many different projects on the table. Some pictures would be cool. It immediately makes me wonder whether it is worth to think about a "custom supplies" swap? I know that custom pony swaps take their time and lost popularity over the years but a supplies swap could be easier to do...

Ooh, and I have to share a brush cleaner I found - The Masters Brush Cleaner and Preserver. It comes in a plastic jar and it's amazing! I had a white synthetic brush that was dyed green for years and this stuff made it like new again. Highly recommended!

I use this (even though being in Germany) since 3-4 years and it is a wonderful product I can just recommend. It's getting almost everything out of a brush without leaving residues. I have another product for keeping the bristles in perfect shape but don't know its name currently.

On my table are 2 ponies for restoration - Quackers and Tic Tac Toe who just needs their hair styles now and then they're finished.
The next bigger project are 4 new Colorswirl Ponies with never used color combinations before. These are very time consuming and difficult since you need to do the base color leaving all the patches blank. Then you need to paint the patches and the symbols. But one is almost done - just needs his DS symbol, they eyes, the hair and another layer on their patches. 
« Last Edit: August 03, 2020, 11:54:54 PM by pandabear_chan »

Online ZeldaTheSwordsman

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • "Death to Eclipse" protests DA's dumb new UI
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2020, 12:22:16 AM »
@Griffin
Regarding stripping the paint, is it safe to use the Pine Sol bath method on ponies?

Hmm not heard of that before. I don't think Pine Sol is available here. Acetone does the trick, it's just a tedious process.
Indeed. The Pine Sol bath method of stripping paint is fairly straightforward: Dunk whatever you're trying to strip in Pine Sol or similar floor cleaner (anyone know what brands are available in Finland?). Let it sit immersed for a few days, then pull it out and scrub the paint off with retired toothbrush or the like while rinsing.
Notes:
* I believe finished paint is immune
* You will want to remove metal parts, since they'll oxidize during the bath.
should be perma-moderated

Offline Heelys

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Brush N Grow Pony
  • Member of the Aquacadets
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2020, 05:18:54 PM »
I have a pair of customs that got lost in the mail, so I’ve had to start over from scratch making new ponies that fit the theme— I don’t want to replicate them, I want to stay OOAK. My first remake arrived at its destination today, so I’ll be starting on the second soon.

After that, I’m thinking of making a custom based on locations in the Kawaii Monster Café in Harajuku!
Gender? I hardly know 'er!  :biggrin: | PM me about G1 custom or OOAK World's Smallest commissions! ;)

Offline gemini_pony

• Trade Count: (+38)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • <3 Pony Time!! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 04, 2020, 08:16:10 PM »
I have a couple things going.  I'm in the monochromatic swap. Also trying to make a scarecrow pony for Halloween but I'm having problems coming up with ideas on how to execute it if anyone has any inspiration.

Offline Griffin

• Staff
  • Trade Count: (+89)
  • aka Haawan | she/her
    • View Profile
    • Haawan Pony Customs
« Reply #22 on: August 05, 2020, 12:13:10 AM »
I have a pair of customs that got lost in the mail, so I’ve had to start over from scratch making new ponies that fit the theme— I don’t want to replicate them, I want to stay OOAK. My first remake arrived at its destination today, so I’ll be starting on the second soon.

After that, I’m thinking of making a custom based on locations in the Kawaii Monster Café in Harajuku!

What a bummer, they never turned up then? I remember you telling about this in the shipping delays thread. This is one of my biggest fears when shipping custom ponies! After all, they are unique creations and so much love and countless work hours were put into making them.

Gemini_pony, a scarecrow custom sounds cool! Do you want to make the pony itself into a scarecrow, or are you open to any options? Simply doing a scarecrow symbol, painted or 3D/crafted, seems like the easiest way to go about it. But a whole pony... I think a pony in a rearing pose would be ideal for something like that. You could even repose it - you won't have to worry about a seamless finish if you simply reattach the legs with wire and hide the whole body inside a tiny burlap sack. :lol:

deviantART | Haawan Pony Customs | Aithne reference
Avatar by FizzyScrumptious, signature by tailrustedtealeaf - thank you ♥

Offline Strawberry Swirl

• Trade Count: (+40)
  • #1 Rainbow Dash Kinnie
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 05, 2020, 02:04:47 PM »
I should post a pic of my project bin, things have been sitting in there for years. Ha ha! A slow worker I am, but, it's always worth it when I do finish something.

Projects right now: Repainting FNaF Funkos. I have an OC I'm making out of  a Funtime Foxy and two Theodores becoming Bon Bon and Bonnet.
Pony wise, I picked up a couple Basic Fun rainbows, I'm going to use little adhesive pearls for their eyes a la TEs.
WishlistChecklistSalesPonysonaCommissions

Offline ChocolateStarfire

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • I Love Ponies...Always!
    • View Profile
    • Enchanting Customs
« Reply #24 on: August 08, 2020, 10:12:17 PM »
I'm also going to make teeny tiny twin ponies for Halloween...looking forward to customizing tomorrow! :3
My MLP customs
My eBay Sales
Brightbow Avvy-SquarePeg :lovey:

Offline Roogna

• Trade Count: (+594)
    • View Profile
    • http://roogna.deviantart.com
« Reply #25 on: August 10, 2020, 09:21:18 AM »
I'm working on a few commissions and a personal swap. I have 1 halloween pony planned.

I share wip here https://www.patreon.com/roogna

DeviantArt Etsy

Offline mlp4me

• Nanu Nanu Orkan Pony
  • Trade Count: (+111)
  • A Happy Pony Day To You!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 12, 2020, 06:24:31 AM »
Sooo.... I dragged my bag of sculpy upstairs and have started mixing some colors. I turned out the lights last night and you'll never guess...

I have two blocks of GITD white sculpy! Oh mylanta!! The possibilities now... I didn't know, it doesn't say on the plastic.

G4 customs 4 sale
     Wants: Jamie Dornanvisitors can't see pics , please register or login
Hey, a girl can dream, right?

Offline Ponybookworm

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • MOC Mimic
  • All Pony Literature appreciated!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 12, 2020, 11:27:45 AM »
Sooo.... I dragged my bag of sculpy upstairs and have started mixing some colors. I turned out the lights last night and you'll never guess...

I have two blocks of GITD white sculpy! Oh mylanta!! The possibilities now... I didn't know, it doesn't say on the plastic.
Isn't that the BEST!!!
My Mascots (so far): Twisty Tail, G2 Trixiebelle, Starcatcher, Twilight Sparkle. All variants & pictures of these are appreciated. Piccies courtesy of Griffin, Blumiere, Littlebabyribbon, & Starscout

Offline Blackness

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Secret Surprise Pony
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page:
« Reply #28 on: August 16, 2020, 03:37:23 AM »
Great idea for a discussion Griffin ^.^ My customising barriers are mostly lack of time and creativity! I find my creative vibes come and go and there are times where I can't make any progress, so just take a break from it all. After a while ideas start flooding back and then I end up with multiple projects on the go.. It's reassuring to hear that some of you out there have WIPs that have been going for years as well :lol:

I've got a few WIPs at the moment, the Arena has inspired me to upload some photos. I've been working on this 30th anniversary Minty since the start of the year, recently finished repainting and varnishing the eyes and need to give her a new tail before I get started on sculpting. Not sure how the newer plastic of the pony will cope in the oven (polymer clay) but maybe one day I'll find out :satisfied:

This pony is almost finished!! WIP since June. Her eyes have been painted and varnished (need better pictures, sorry) and faux amethyst crystals sculpted from polymer clay stuck to her body. I feel like she's not complete though, she needs something more.. Anyway she's back on the shelf with curlers in to set her hair until something comes to me lol, does anyone have any suggestions?

Annnnd just recently stripped these two back and tried Rit Dyemore for the first time! Have absolutely no idea what I'm going to do with them yet, have heard the dye can fade and bleed over time so they will probably be safety stored for several months anyway.

Offline BlackCurtains

• Mad Scientist
  • Trade Count: (+69)
  • Orange ponies are the best.
    • View Profile
    • BlackCurtains Crafts
« Reply #29 on: August 16, 2020, 05:02:30 AM »
Blackness, I love the Amethyst pony! Maybe do something with her horn? Or some crystal bits by her eyes.

Instagram | Facebook
Commissions are Closed
Avatar and sig by Mione (offsite)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal