collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: ~Out Now and Coming Soon ~  (Read 140916 times)

Offline Ragamuffin

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
Re: ~Out Now and Coming Soon ~
« Reply #735 on: May 19, 2022, 08:10:49 PM »
Sunny does NOT sell here at ALL. Every store I go in, it's always only Sunny that's left over. There are like four or five boxes of her plush from July still sitting around at Walmart making no progress. Generally Zipp sells first, then Pipp, then Izzy, and Sunny doesn't sell at all! I'm surprised Izzy isn't more popular...
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #736 on: May 20, 2022, 03:38:23 AM »
I've not been able to go out as much over the last couple of years so I don't know if we've ever had those characters in this area but...certainly since I started going to town again, I haven't seen Zipp at all.

The temptation to paint sunny purple with orange and pink hair...;)

I just can't feel like there's any inspiration or life in G5 at all in how it's being marketed.

By contrast, Rainbow High and Miraculous Ladybug are both filling large sections of store shelves. Ponies are more shoved into a corner with other similar nonhumanish things. :/

In the heyday of G4, they'd have a whole bay. I remember the Entertainer in Brum having a whole table top display of their world with the rainbow power figures. I have a photo somewhere. It was so long ago that it was still in a time when you had to ask a shop's permission to take a picture of their displays ;)
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Zapper

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #737 on: May 20, 2022, 03:57:18 AM »
Sunny does NOT sell here at ALL. Every store I go in, it's always only Sunny that's left over.

A lot of parents (and really all people who are looking for a present) have an aversion to orange when it comes to buying for girls. I'm still deadset on G4 Applejack selling poorly was due to her being orange first and country second.
That being said, could also be due to Sunny being overstocked. The protagonist or flagship character often gets the most merch while not exactly being the most interesting or relatable character to kids.

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #738 on: May 20, 2022, 09:01:21 AM »
Yeah back in G4's heyday, I remember it having HUGE displays in Toys R Us, with the big overhead banners and everything... even my final photos of my localish TRU from when it closed down in 2018, still have a MLP endcap with a big banner and signage. These days they're lucky to have a whole shelf to themselves in the stores - usually wedged in between the Spirit horses (which are HOT right now, or they seem to be anyway, they're all over the place and get a LOT of shelf space) and Miraculous. Rainbow High is definitely way bigger.

Hey, are they running TV ads for the G5 toys in the US? So far I've only seen one G5 advert, for that little mystery ball lamp thingy.. only saw it once too. But I honestly never saw a lot of adverts for G4 toys either so I'm not sure what's going on there.

Offline Dragonflitter

• Trade Count: (+101)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #739 on: May 20, 2022, 10:40:41 AM »
I'm still deadset on G4 Applejack selling poorly was due to her being orange first and country second.
That being said, could also be due to Sunny being overstocked. The protagonist or flagship character often gets the most merch while not exactly being the most interesting or relatable character to kids.

I myself am not a fan of orange either, but I think the fact that Sunny is the main character definitely offsets any feelings of dislike for her color. I assume it's overstock being why the Sunny toys are hanging around.

I work in a bookstore that also has a small toy section to keep the kids coming in. (Especially with Toys R Us gone in our area, we're one of the only places other than Walmart where kids can get toys now.)

They sent us a few MLP G5 toys within the past year. We got 3 Sunnys, 3 Izzys, and 2 Zip and 2 Pip. We didn't have room to hang them at kid-face-height, so we had to put them on the higher hangers. Zip and Pip were put at adult-face-height, and Sunny and Izzy were on the top hangers, where an adult would actually have to reach a little over their head to take it off the hanger.

Despite this, all three Sunnys sold immediately, and the Izzys sold soon after. We sold both Pipps eventually, and we have one lone Zipp hanging around still.

I'm really surprised because I often notice that for both books and toys, the ones that are right in front of a customer's face will be the ones to sell first. But in this instance, the more popular characters were more important for sales.
Thank you Thimble for my amazingly cute avatar!

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #740 on: May 21, 2022, 11:04:11 AM »
Primark has some G1 PJs in again! It's been ages since I've found any pony stuff in there.

(the text says "So Fly", it was hard to get a clear photo of it)

They also had some Care Bears stuff, I snapped a quick pic of it since I know there's some CB collectors on here.

I love the G1 PJs and Starshine Shirt.  :D

I found these shorts in Walmart today. 

I was a little surprised to see Buttons as I don't think she shows up on retro stuff very often. 

Regarding the G5 toys, all the Walmart stores in my area have tons of Sunny and Izzy but I don't see Zipp or Pipp as often.  The plush ponies don't sell well in my area.

Ponyfan

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Offline Ponyfan

• View Profile
« Reply #741 on: May 24, 2022, 10:31:33 AM »
Does anyone know who the pony on the shorts is supposed to be?  I was sure it was Buttons but looking closer I realized that the shorts pony doesn't have a horn.  That makes it seem more like Bubbles to me but in the wrong colors.

Poynfan

Offline NanoRuby

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Colorswirl Pony
  • They/Them
    • View Profile
« Reply #742 on: May 24, 2022, 10:56:14 AM »
Kind of looks like the blue and white version of Tootsie (aka the superior version /j)

Image from mlp merch

Is it Halloween yet?
For Sale/Trade | Wishlist
Sig by the amazing starscout!

Offline Shadowfax_22

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Custom Bait Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #743 on: May 24, 2022, 04:26:29 PM »
I thought she was Buttons at first as well, just without a horn.  On closer look in person, her symbol is lollipops.  The sticks are white so they are hard to see.  I think she matches the picture of blue and white Tootsie.  The only difference is in the symbol.  The lollipop sticks on the pony are green and on the shorts the sticks are white.  The body is white, but sometimes looks slightly pinkish depending on the light and maybe due to the light purple fabric background.  Shes a really cute pony.

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #744 on: May 25, 2022, 05:21:00 AM »
Keep in mind, retro merch doesn't always colour ponies properly. I've seen all sorts of alternate colour schemes on retro clothes.

From that photo I could see it being earth Buttons or white Tootsie. Is there any other retro merch with either of them that we could compare it to, do we know if Buttons' "retro" design includes the stars in her symbol or not? Colours can be variable but they usually keep the symbol designs consistent, if nothing else.

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #745 on: May 25, 2022, 08:22:05 AM »
White Tootsie in retro stuff in Walmart would be an irony.

I also don't agree with the idea orange doesn't sell, if that were the case G1 Aj would have never been as massively popular as she was. And G4 AJ sold here better than Pinkie Pie did. I remember one occasion where a kid was insistantly telling her mother that AJ was the one she wanted.

...I was in Chester yesterday but didn't get to look in Entertainer because I had to get back to the station to get my train (it takes a while to find things like that xD). So I am not sure if they had a better range than my more local branches or Smyths. But I'm just not getting the impression G5 is really selling that much here. It may be an illusion or just in this region, but yeah.

While G4, there were always certain ponies (normally RD/Pinkie/Twilight) left on the shelves, the kids would pick through the sets and the more popular ponies (anything not mane 6, plus, often, Rarity) would have gone. You'd see shelf gaps, I guess is my point. I'm not seeing shelf gaps. It may just be efficient restocking, but yeah. I don't know. I feel like G5 doesn't have enough of a presence on its own (yet, that may change).

The new IDW comic trying to force G5 back into G4-world is predictable but also concerning for the footprint of G5 as a brand, since it might appeal to G4 fans (doubtful) but it's not really making people think, hey, this is a cool NEW thing, rather than, wow, here we go again.

|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Ponyfan

• View Profile
« Reply #746 on: May 25, 2022, 08:42:33 AM »
I thought she was Buttons at first as well, just without a horn.  On closer look in person, her symbol is lollipops.  The sticks are white so they are hard to see.  I think she matches the picture of blue and white Tootsie.  The only difference is in the symbol.  The lollipop sticks on the pony are green and on the shorts the sticks are white.  The body is white, but sometimes looks slightly pinkish depending on the light and maybe due to the light purple fabric background.  Shes a really cute pony.

I couldn't see the lollipop sticks until I took a much closer look. I'm surprised they would pick Tootsie.  I don't think she's been on retro stuff before.

Ponyfan

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #747 on: May 26, 2022, 09:35:02 AM »
I saw a third starshine thing in Primark this morning. I do have a pic but it's on my phone and it's not easy to get from there to my PC. It's a pink strappy top and shorts pyjama thing. Sort of the same pink as the other pyjamas but somehow softer fabric. Starshine is in the middle of the top. I'm not sure if she's on the shorts as I was just passing through.

|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #748 on: May 26, 2022, 10:38:07 AM »
Thanks for the heads up! I've only seen the other MLP stuff once, I'll keep an eye out for this though.

Offline Ponyfan

• View Profile
« Reply #749 on: May 27, 2022, 12:18:56 PM »
If anyone is interested in the Tootsie shorts from Walmart be sure to look carefully at the shorts to make sure you're getting what you want. I wanted to see how many pairs were left yesterday and thought the store was well stocked.  When I looked closer, I saw that there's also a set of Stitch shorts that are the same color but with Stitch.  They were put on the same rack as the MLP shorts and  there were only about 3 pairs of MLP ones left.

Ponyfan

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal