collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Scented ponies mixed with cigarette smoke  (Read 2719 times)

Offline BethyVic

• Let It Be/Peace & Love Pony
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • There is still a light that shines on me
    • View Profile
Scented ponies mixed with cigarette smoke
« on: July 22, 2020, 03:47:59 PM »
I just received three of the scented G3 ponies from eBay.   The boxes were described as damaged and that is fine by me.  I might take them out of the box to display anyway. The problem is, the boxes and ponies have the smell of what I think is cigarette smoke. The smell of the smoke overpowers the ponies. I know sometimes leaving a pony in a ventilated area can help, but will the original scent come back?  And I don't know what to say to the seller.  Should I complain and ask for a reduced price or just deal with it.
[email protected]

*Looking for MOC Starflash and her comb loose, MOC Peppermint Crunch and MOC Sky Rocket (sparkle) all US versions*

Offline Pumpkin_Tart

• Rainbow Curl Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Scented ponies mixed with cigarette smoke
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2020, 04:18:09 PM »
Oh no!  :( That really stinks (literally) when it happens...I have heard that using kitty litter, baking soda, or some product that will absorb the smell but not hurt your ponies. I have been successful using baking soda but I have never tried litter so.... Depending on how bad your smoke smell is, it could take longer. The scent might come back? I guess you cannot really be sure until the smoke is gone unless someone here has had success with getting it back without the smoke smell.
If it was me, I would check the sellers feedback and see if other buyers are complaining of a smoke smell and inform the seller. Sometimes sellers can make mistakes and overlook something....but that sort of thing really should be in the listing. I hope that the smell goes away!

Offline Barnacle_lady

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2020, 12:44:59 AM »
There is a chance if you unpack the ponies their original scent can be overwhelming. I had this with the coconut scented. They were a few years in their box until I got the chance to unpack. The whole room smelled like coconuts.
Maybe you can try to remove the smell with the boxes first and then unpack.
As for the seller I would mention the smell.

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2020, 06:25:56 AM »
My Peppermint Crunch was a carboot find and she was obviously a chain smoker. She no longer smells of smoke now (it's been probably 20 years mind you!) but she doesn't really have much original scent. Maybe a faint smell of toothpaste - not sure if that is her normal scent or not.

So in her case it's a little bit there, but not very much.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline BethyVic

• Let It Be/Peace & Love Pony
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • There is still a light that shines on me
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2020, 02:09:51 PM »
Good news: After leaving the ponies in a big room, and smelling them again, I think the smell I noticed was just what Barnacle Lady mentioned.  The smell was overwhelming and it caught me off guard.  I am pleased to say they are smelling better and more like their assigned scent.  Thank you very much for the advice, I appreciate it!   
*EDIT* I would be curious to know what they smelled like when they were in stores.  Did you guys think they smelled amazing or was it a bit overwhelming?
« Last Edit: July 24, 2020, 02:12:52 PM by BethyVic »
[email protected]

*Looking for MOC Starflash and her comb loose, MOC Peppermint Crunch and MOC Sky Rocket (sparkle) all US versions*

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2020, 02:17:12 PM »
I had to sell a few of my scented G3 because of the strength of the perfume. THe coconut one especially.

I still have some of them, but they are shut away where I can't smell them.

Some of the G3 are not too bad, but the fruity ones...very noxious.

Oh, there is one that smells like cheap toilet air freshener. I think she's aqua and green...
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Barnacle_lady

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2020, 01:21:29 AM »
Good news: After leaving the ponies in a big room, and smelling them again, I think the smell I noticed was just what Barnacle Lady mentioned.  The smell was overwhelming and it caught me off guard.  I am pleased to say they are smelling better and more like their assigned scent.  Thank you very much for the advice, I appreciate it!   
*EDIT* I would be curious to know what they smelled like when they were in stores.  Did you guys think they smelled amazing or was it a bit overwhelming?

I am glad they still have that strong scent because these were at least 10 years in packaging then :) And no in stores they didn't smell that strong.

@Taffeta , the coconuts is the strongest scent. I have also bought a few loose with a fruity flavour on UK con and that smell wasn't so strong anymore.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal