collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: MOC Mommy charms  (Read 2006 times)

Offline Leikin

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • https://www.instagram.com/leikinit/
MOC Mommy charms
« on: May 18, 2020, 02:58:31 AM »
I'm curious about the mommy charms, and which ponies they where included with. I have seen them go along with some different sets, and have one with Cherry Treats myself.

Which ponies have you seen MOC With mommy charms, and please, if you have Pictures, if you could share them :)

Not the best pics, but its in there  ^.^
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Wanted: MOC Geman baby Lemon Drop, MIB baby Lemon Drop with purple stroller, MOC Rainbow Confetti, MOC Euro(NSS) Buttons, ,  and UK carded rainbow ponies.
Wishlist: http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,391446.0.html
Follow me and my Collection at https://www.instagram.com/leikinit/

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
Re: MOC Mommy charms
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2020, 10:13:01 AM »
I think it was LM who posted about this some time back (maybe?) but I think in the US there was more organisation about which charms came with which sets and stuff?

I am not sure there was any rhyme or reason over here with who came with what charm.

I think my database says what I have with what, I'll go check...

Hugs and Kisses (MOC - UK card - Baby Brother Sweet Celebrations)
Spoiler
She's under his feet but you can barely see her.

Tiny Tumbler (MIB - US Boxed twins 'Sticky' and 'Sniffles')
Spoiler
(She's the orange thing under the seesaw, I don't have a closeup)

True Blue (MIB - Happytails Tossles, US box)
Spoiler

I had one with Baby Brother Apple Delight (UK card) as well but I don't remember who it was.

Edit - I found some pictures...
« Last Edit: May 18, 2020, 10:25:24 AM by Taffeta »
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2020, 03:38:41 PM »
Only one of my childhood ponies came with a Mommy/Mummy Charm. I remember wanting more of them but never got another one with a pony.

My charm was Little Helper.

I had Mirror Mirror and Water Color Baby Misty in my childhood ponies so I think one of them is probably the pony that Little Helper came with.

Love the MOC pictures Taffeta. :lovey:

Ponyfan

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Offline Leikin

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2020, 12:11:18 PM »
Thanks for the info and pics :)  They just seems so random placed to me. some ponies has them, some ponies dont, the same pony, in the same set.  I have most of the other sweetberry ponies on US cards, but Cherry treats is the only one with a charm.

Interesting that they where also on UK carded ponies. That would make sense I guess, as we peobably had them in Sweden as well. at least I had one as a child, but dont remember which pony it came with. But we had a bunch of US import ponies as well as UK carded, so not sure where we got them from.

Are they randomly attached to the ponies, or are one charm following a particular pony, if anyone know?

Maybe there is som gathered info on this somewhere already, but it would have been nice with a list of ponies that included charms :)
Wanted: MOC Geman baby Lemon Drop, MIB baby Lemon Drop with purple stroller, MOC Rainbow Confetti, MOC Euro(NSS) Buttons, ,  and UK carded rainbow ponies.

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2020, 01:09:54 PM »
I have the UK leaflet I think, and it's also promoted in the comic, but I am not sure whether there was a direct connection to which charm/pony here. I never had any in package as a kid, only one second hand one which could've come from anywhere. Aside knowing the family ponies had them sometimes...my info stops there. I know they happened here, you had to mail in for the bracelet they went on...and yeah.

I am certain there has been chat in the past about specific charms for specific sets/ponies in the US but I don't remember the details. It's also worth saying that there exist versions of all these ponies without charms too (I expect you know that but just in case). I have 2 other twinsets from that same range (Big Top/Toppy and Sandcastle/Shovels) but neither of those have a charm or a label on the box mentioning a charm.

|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline kitkatvintage

• Trade Count: (+353)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
    • KitKatVintage - My Little Pony Collection
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2020, 11:54:39 AM »
In the US, the charms were randomly included in with some sets for a limited time (ie not the whole year's production run of a specific pony). They were included in ponies shipped to retailers during the 2nd quarter of 1988 (April - June). There was a tv commercial advertising the charms as a special promotion to go along with the rebranding of MLP which included the "I'm a My Little Pony Mommy" jingle.

The charms came with:
- Peek-a-Boo Babies
- Magic Message Ponies
- Brush 'n Grow Ponies
- Sundae Best Ponies
- Summer Wing Ponies
- Newborn Twins (2nd year)
- Princess Ponies (2nd year)
- Twice As Fancy (2nd year)

I have a Hasbro Marketing book for 1988 that outlines this and other promotions they planned to offer for other toy lines that year. So this is "straight from the horse's mouth" so to speak. ;)

Offline Ponyfan

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2020, 01:55:03 PM »
That's really interesting kitkatvintage. :D  I didn't know there was a commercial advertising them. 

That makes it harder for me to figure out which pony my Mommy/Mummy Charm came with. :lol: It's times like this that I wish I still had my childhood backcards.

Ponyfan

Offline kitkatvintage

• Trade Count: (+353)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
    • KitKatVintage - My Little Pony Collection
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2020, 03:14:17 PM »
I had Mirror Mirror and Water Color Baby Misty in my childhood ponies so I think one of them is probably the pony that Little Helper came with.
That makes it harder for me to figure out which pony my Mommy/Mummy Charm came with. :lol: It's times like this that I wish I still had my childhood backcards.

If you only had Mirror Mirror & Watercolor Misty from that year, your charm would have come with Mirror Mirror. ;) The Watercolor Baby Sea Ponies didn't come with charms. :heart:

Offline Ponyfan

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2020, 04:38:16 PM »

If you only had Mirror Mirror & Watercolor Misty from that year, your charm would have come with Mirror Mirror. ;) The Watercolor Baby Sea Ponies didn't come with charms. :heart:

I had some other ponies from that year too. but  I’m pretty sure it came with a pony that had a backcard and not a box. It was probably Mirror Mirror or Coco Berry/Chocolate Chip. :)

Ponyfan
« Last Edit: May 21, 2020, 04:40:31 PM by Ponyfan »

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2020, 07:14:46 PM »
Thanks KKV. I knew the intel was out there somewhere but didn't remember the details.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Leikin

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2020, 08:42:39 AM »
In the US, the charms were randomly included in with some sets for a limited time (ie not the whole year's production run of a specific pony). They were included in ponies shipped to retailers during the 2nd quarter of 1988 (April - June). There was a tv commercial advertising the charms as a special promotion to go along with the rebranding of MLP which included the "I'm a My Little Pony Mommy" jingle.

The charms came with:
- Peek-a-Boo Babies
- Magic Message Ponies
- Brush 'n Grow Ponies
- Sundae Best Ponies
- Summer Wing Ponies
- Newborn Twins (2nd year)
- Princess Ponies (2nd year)
- Twice As Fancy (2nd year)

I have a Hasbro Marketing book for 1988 that outlines this and other promotions they planned to offer for other toy lines that year. So this is "straight from the horse's mouth" so to speak. ;)

Interesting read! You dont have Pictures from the marketing book maybe? :)

I wonder though, as the sweetberry ponies are not mentioned on your list, and my Cherry treats has one I guess it is possible they came with other sets as well, like maybe the watercolour Babies?

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2020, 10:11:46 AM »
I am sure I've heard that mentioned before too, but I don't recall if it was decided.

I did find this in the search - going back to UK release of these - which confirms Sundae Best as one of the sets with charms here.

(Credit Ponyland Press for the image)
The UK and US cards are quite similar but the UK ones have that orange border and there aren't any hairclips. The sticker is the same as on my Baby Brother SC card.

Edit - doing a google search on MOC Watercolor babies, I found a seashore with a charm/charm sticker, so they did have them. Unfortunately the image comes from etsy and it won't let me link the whole image. THe charm is the purple one with the orange hair, and it's in the middle of the float.

(If you google MOC Watercolor Baby Sea Pony and go to images it should come up)
« Last Edit: May 24, 2020, 10:16:30 AM by Taffeta »
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Leikin

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2020, 05:37:27 AM »
Oh, interesting find! Good catch! :)  So it seems both sweetberries and watercolour ponies did have them even if not listed.
I wonder if all ponies in the set had them at one point, or if it was just included with certain ponies in each set?

I think I need to go on a "collecting images on MIBs with mommy charms"-adventure! *Feeling the plot thickens* :P

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2020, 05:47:44 AM »
It occurs to me maybe KKV's paperwork lists one seasonal promotion and maybe there is another booklet or document with a second promotion.

But I should also add from my own experience with Hasbro UK, Hasbro are not always comprehensive with their release information. For example, the list I have from Hasbro UK does not include Summer Wing Ponies or Wedding Bells Confetti, but we have ample evidence both were sold here (in store catalogues, inserts from Hasbro themselves >< and other things). So sometimes even in their own paperwork they miss stuff.

Maybe Sweetberries and Watercolors were added later and Hasbro just didn't update their paperwork.

That sounds like a fun adventure. I have a folder full of MOC pony images on my PC. I'll check through them for you too if you like. They were donated to my site by a collector in Europe but include ponies from various different places,including the US and the UK.

Edit to add:

Quick skim through her folder came up with the following:
Cloud Dreamer (US card - labelled, charm under hooves, looks like white and pale purple?)
Teddi/Cuddles MM (US card, labelled, charm under legs, looks like white or pale colour with aqua hair)
Magical Breeze/Windy MM (US card, labelled, charm under legs, looks yellow and green)

High Flyer (US box/label - blue with orange hair)
Lady Flutter (US box/label - charm not visible)

Romper (US box/label) - looks like pink with pink hair.

Princess Dawn - US label, charm not visible

Twisty Tail - US box, charm not visible

...In all cases the person has more ponies than those listed from these sets but without charms (a full set of MM ponies on US cards for example). They also have some twins and Sweetberries but none have charms.

Not one package not in English has a charm label.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2020, 06:03:51 AM by Taffeta »
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline plushroo

• Trade Count: (+252)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • princess Cotton Candy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2020, 09:41:51 AM »
I remember getting a charm with my Sherbet as a child. I also have a MOC Barnacle with a charm inside.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal