collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Funko Pops - who else is done with them?  (Read 8421 times)

Offline Glistening Rainlight

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain Jack Pony
  • Always looking for answers I never find.
    • View Profile
Re: Funko Pops - who else is done with them?
« Reply #30 on: September 07, 2020, 07:19:01 PM »
I hate Pops.  That being said, I have two.

I feel like this sums up the entirely of the Pops existence. XD

Agreed haha. I rather dislike Funko Pops myself, but I have one - a keychain pop of Rainbow Dash, but even that was only because all of the official models at the time gave her Fluttershy's eyes and other weird problems. It's the first and only one of the pops I've gotten or will get, my perspective on those is that it's not worth paying the price for a character I love if they're in a form I won't.

That said I do have one Funko vinyl figure, of DJ P0n-3, and would be happy to collect a few choice others, namely the other versions of DJ. The figures are definitely flawed and cheaply made despite their high price, so I'm extremely selective about which characters I'll get.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Persona: Daylight Glisten | Avatar by me, siggy by LunaCat (Thank you! :heart:)
Art Commissions [ CLOSED ] | Wishlist | High-Priority Wishlist

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #31 on: September 10, 2020, 04:00:55 PM »
Can't be done with them when I was never into them to begin with.  :P  I've always found them very ugly.  I have a friend who used to be way into them (mostly Overwatch characters), though.

The company has their HQ quite near Seattle so at least it's a successful local company.  I respect their ability to sell the figures, they've obviously tapped into something.

Edit:  I just remembered I do have one Funko . . . One of my coworkers got a Fluttershy Funko for free at a comic con and he knew I collect MLPs so he gave her to me.  I kept her on my desk at work because I appreciated the thoughtfulness of the gesture.

Also, what you said about Bob Ross and the lack of merch making the figure exciting to your dad does make sense.  If you like something that normally doesn't have any merch then, yeah, I could see a Funko of it being really exciting.

According to Wikipedia, it all started because a guy couldn't find a Big Boy (hamburger restaurant mascot?) bank so he licensed the rights to make one himself.  I do love that it all started because of a collector's weird, niche interest.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2020, 04:11:43 PM by LadyMoondancer »
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline Emillia

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Drink 'n' Wet Pony
    • View Profile
    • wish list
« Reply #32 on: September 17, 2020, 08:52:45 AM »
I used to collect only the vocaloid figurines when they came out, but I have done nothing with Funkos ever since. I gave the few I had away - I prefer collecting things with a bit more detail.
I thought they were pretty irrelevant by now, but now I have a new housemate that actually does collect Funkos, and pretty seriously too. I think she has over 150 in her room.

She explained to me that collecting Funkos is pretty big internationally for students, and that does make sense. A Funko pop is a lot less expensive than any kind of handcrafted thing, or very detailed anime figurine. They are also pretty accessible. Even in The Netherlands here, you can find them pretty much at any serious toy store. And even though I'm not too big on them, there are a few limited-edition Funkos that even I have to admit look pretty good. They don't have that dead-eye look that scares me that most Funkos have. I guess it all just comes down to taste and convenience.

Offline The-Extravagant-Pony

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Dance N' Prance Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 10, 2020, 01:31:17 PM »
Wow, seems like a lot of people dislike them but I personally like Funko Pops! I only have a couple (next on my list are MLP & Spongebob ones) but I do like them. :)

Offline starrynights

• Takara Fakie
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • Tinsel Enthusiast, Fakie Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 18, 2020, 06:20:51 PM »
I saw a few with larger bodies more in proportion in their head and they had more expressive faces instead of nothing but hollow eyes. If they all were like that I'd probably have a ton of them.
Would like to try customizing one one day.

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 19, 2020, 10:08:16 AM »
Stupid funko pop finally dragged me in. I want those upcoming candyland ones of Mr. Mint and Jolly. I wish we'd get a better figure elsewhere of Queen Frostine, she was always my favorite character.  -_-

https://bleedingcool.com/collectibles/funko-pop-retro-toys-candyland/
« Last Edit: December 19, 2020, 10:15:30 AM by Leave a Whisper »
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 08, 2021, 11:51:53 AM »
Wow, funko actually made something cute for once.

https://www.funko.com/shop/details/paka-paka-fruit-bats

I like the strawberry, watermelon, kiwi and grapefruit batties best.

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • Trade Count: (+131)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 08, 2021, 02:10:21 PM »
Wow, funko actually made something cute for once.

https://www.funko.com/shop/details/paka-paka-fruit-bats

I like the strawberry, watermelon, kiwi and grapefruit batties best.

eh, I always thought funko's non-pop stuff was fine. Paka Paka is a blind bag series with original stuff rather than licensed. https://www.funko.com/pakapaka

:: my etsy :: 3DS FC 1735-9876-4867 // SW-8381-5856-2018

Offline Zapper

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 09, 2021, 01:25:28 PM »
Not LaW advertising Funkos in my dedicated anti Funko thread :lol:

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 09, 2021, 02:23:38 PM »
Not LaW advertising Funkos in my dedicated anti Funko thread :lol:

Oops.  Sorry. :blush:

Offline Baby Crumpet

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rainbow Curl Pony
  • Never too many Tex's!
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 11, 2021, 10:49:13 AM »
I never liked them  ^^; A lot of the funko pops that came out for franchises I liked really seemed to undermine the point of the characters. They made an Alduin one for Skyrim - Alduin is mean to be a literal world eater, so it was a bit odd to have him be all tiny and cute, yannow? Same with characters like Wolverine. I felt it so strange that characters meant to be grumpy and grouchy and not at all cute suddenly were.

I tended therefore to buy the more 'realistic' figures - but most people have cottoned on to this funko pop style figure and it's wayyyy harder to find realistic figures. I do like some of the less 'chibi' style figures Funko has put out, those are pretty cool.

Obviously, that doesn't mean I don't have any - I have several  :lol: I've never bought one myself, but I've received a few as gifts, and even if I'm not a big fan, they DO make fun little desk companions.

:glitter: Thank you to Nence and starrynights for my signature and Trinity for my avatar :glitter:
Wishlist

Offline bright rabbit 1

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Titan Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 18, 2021, 01:18:46 PM »
Looking for Five Nights at Freddy’s Funko Pops only getting the characters I like 2 Freddy Fazbears (one I’m turning into Golden Freddy because that Pop is expensive), Nightmare animatronics. 

A mother pony can be protective of her young just like dogs.

Friend Code: SW-4221-8531-0056

Offline Wardah

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 22, 2021, 08:33:21 AM »
I think this thread should be renamed. It started as a thread about who isn't a fan and has evolved into just general Funko discussion.
Seeking Cutie Princess toys by Chap Mei!!

Also seeking brown Novi Stars fakies, and Punzels.

Av by Moonflower.

Offline Nemesis

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • Material Girl
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 22, 2021, 09:53:12 AM »
I think this thread should be renamed. It started as a thread about who isn't a fan and has evolved into just general Funko discussion.

Seconded. Obviously discussion about if/why you’re done with Pops should still be welcome. ;) It should be up to Zapper, of course—maybe she’d rather we made two separate threads?

So, I’ve kind of gone in the opposite direction. Funko started making a “Retro Toys” line of Pops, and they caught me hook, line, and sinker. I have all the classic MLP ones that were just released, plus two Popples, the Candy Land gang (except for that elusive Plumpy... grrrr!), Peaches n Cream Barbie, My Pet Monster, and a handful of others. They really match with the cutesy aesthetic of Pops in general.

I really love that the unified style makes creating bizarre dioramas so easy. You can have Dwight from The Office hanging out with Polly Pocket, The Fantastic Four, a bunch of anime characters, and a couple of guys from “KISS”... and it all looks like it belongs together. XD
🌈⭐️Check out my wishlist! Seeking all generations of ponies, Fashion Star Fillies, Magic Meadow Ponies, REMCO ponies, Sweetie Pups/Kitties, cutesy 80s/90s toys, and more!🦄🌙

Online Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 23, 2021, 06:25:51 AM »
I made a separate thread for Funkos where we can talk about why we like Funko Pops. :)

Ponyfan

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal