collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Funko Pops - who else is done with them?  (Read 8428 times)

Offline Zapper

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
Funko Pops - who else is done with them?
« on: May 14, 2020, 03:25:15 AM »
Funko Pops suck :cool:

Just kidding, but this is sort of the feeling this post might give some Pop collectors, so please don't take it personally.

Spoiler
Funko Pops are sort of a phenomenon. Whether you like them or not, they made a mark in toy history, taking brand liscensing to an all new level. All of a sudden you could get TV show characters, cereal mascots, sports stars, musicians, movie monsters and MLPs all in the same style, from the same company, perfect for starting a collection without even wanting to.
I have friends who say they don't collect and yet have ten Pops or more. The concept worked just that well: you see a character, person or figure you like and have emotional attachment to = you buy the Pop. And then you do it a couple more times because it's less about the toy and more about having this presentation of someone/something you like.

Even my old dad who never collected toys got the Bob Ross Pop range because he is a diehard fan of Bob Ross and had never seen Bob Ross merch before.

Of course Funko has more lines than just the Pops. You can now get retro styled action figures of Bob Ross, I am sure.

I fell into the Funko trap, too. It started with the alien diva from Fifth Element. I thought "wow, I have never seen a figure of this obscure character that I loved as a teen. I'll pay this steep price. It's just once" (15€!!!)

Now Ive got over ten of these. Two of which were Hot Topic exclusives so I had to pay even more to import them.
And now I'm done with them. I haven't bought one for myself in over a year. I think/hope I am cured :lol:

Things I hated about being a Funko collector:
-Way too expensive and hardly never goes on sale
-Quality control was abysmal on certain figures, returning them was never an option because sometimes all figures in one batch had the same paint flaw
-Funko's way of determining fan favorites and leaving out certain characters, resulting in incomplete teams (X-Men still missing Nightcrawler, Power Rangers classic team were incomplete for years, refusing to produce Applejack and Rarity, ignoring the third protagonist in the Dark Crystal show completely).
-Female character redesign to having smaller, skinnier bodies with tiny hands and feet while the guys stayed big and square. Which means you pay even more if you want a female figure (less material used for the same cost).
-Finally, and this is just my personal opinion: the soulless eye look got on my nerves. I had to put them all in storage except for one because I couldn't stand the eyes staring back at me anymore :lol:
Black eyes... like a doll's eyes...
Who else stopped getting Pops?

Offline bright rabbit 1

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Titan Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Funko Pops - who else is done with them?
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2020, 03:48:22 AM »
I only collect my favourite characters
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

A mother pony can be protective of her young just like dogs.

Friend Code: SW-4221-8531-0056

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2020, 05:05:35 AM »
Do they roll over white when they start to eat their victims?

I never liked them.

The normal sized, proportionate ones aren't bad.

Their soulless, creepy eyes and bobbleheaded proportions are awful. They're everywhere and I cannot escape them.

There are a grand total of 2 in this house that my daughter owns.

Blue Fang from the Animated Castlevania Collection. Pity he's not a normal funko, because he went from awesome and articulate demon to a demonic Boston Terrier

And some comic dude named Mysterio. He has no soulless eyes so he doesn't creep us out.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2020, 05:40:46 AM by Leave a Whisper »
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline otocolobus_manul

• Trade Count: (+68)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Hope shines eternal
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2020, 05:33:12 AM »
Ugh, the fan favorites thing drives me crazy. If I can't get a complete set I won't get any of that set - you're losing my potential money, Funko.

I haven't bought one in over a year as well, but I still want a bunch. Sadly. They're so weirdly addictive, aren't they?
looking for this Calico Critters/Sylvanian Families coat rack!
New sales/trade thread: http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,378291.0.html
Wishlist: http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,360893.msg1319821.html#msg1319821

Offline Zapper

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2020, 06:40:31 AM »
Ugh, the fan favorites thing drives me crazy. If I can't get a complete set I won't get any of that set - you're losing my potential money, Funko.

It doesn't even make sense to me. In case of Nightcrawler he has been a huge fan favorite ever since he appeared in the comics decades ago, he is represented in the recent movies and comics and everyone is constantly pestering Funko to make one and yet they don't.
He would be the only Pop I'd still give money for and I get the sinking feeling he will be a rare exclusive if they ever make one because they know everybody wants him and would pay triple-cost just to complete the Uncanny X team.

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • Trade Count: (+131)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2020, 07:01:39 AM »
I just wasn't into their style. I love the black dot eyes, and I love "chibi" proportions, but I HATE square heads, and triangle noses. If the heads were more rounded, they probably would of snatched me into their black hole.

I will say bulbasaur tempted me for a REALLY long time because that one is also cute to me. I just held back since I'm trying not to buy everything I think that's cute.

:: my etsy :: 3DS FC 1735-9876-4867 // SW-8381-5856-2018

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2020, 07:01:49 AM »
I think I've owned three pops in all? I really do not like them and I feel like they've sort of ruined the vinyl collectibles in a way. I'm sure that's not true, but it really feels like an oversaturated market.  Tokidoki remains my only vinyl collection.
I think part of the reason pops do well is because they will make sitcom/human characters.

Sig by Starscout <3

Offline bright rabbit 1

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Titan Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2020, 07:01:57 AM »

It doesn't even make sense to me. In case of Nightcrawler he has been a huge fan favorite ever since he appeared in the comics decades ago, he is represented in the recent movies and comics and everyone is constantly pestering Funko to make one and yet they don't.
He would be the only Pop I'd still give money for and I get the sinking feeling he will be a rare exclusive if they ever make one because they know everybody wants him and would pay triple-cost just to complete the Uncanny X team.

It’s the same with Sailor Saturn being a fan favourite I only want to collect the Sailor Moon ones I like (expect Tuxedo Mask and Sailor Pluto)

A mother pony can be protective of her young just like dogs.

Friend Code: SW-4221-8531-0056

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2020, 07:05:16 AM »
I don't like the SD bug-eyed look of them.  Also there's nothing to do with them BUT stack them up.

We have one in our home - ONE!  It's Vault Boy from Fallout, and the only reason I bought it is because I found it MIB at a thrift store and my DH really loves Fallout. 
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline Pokeyonekenobie

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2020, 07:10:02 AM »
I customize them, but I don't really collect them.  Usually I give them away once I've customized them. 

Spoiler
Before Shazam came out, Zachary Levi commented at FanX that he didn't think it was fair he didn't have one, so I made him some based on what he was wearing at the various Comic Cons that I'd seen him at.  (Though the last one is him as Deadpool because he'd said in an interview that if he could play any part it would be Deadpool.)

I really like doing the Game of Thrones Dragons.  I've done a couple but I haven't taken pictures of most of them.  Here's one I did for a co-worker.  It's done in her family's tartan and she's named him Fergus.

I also did a friend's ponysona for her.  (edit to admit: I guess it's not a pop, but it's a Funko figure--really didn't care for the pop ponies.)

I might keep some of the dragons I'm working on as I have a set planned based on Anne McCaffrey's Pern series but other than that, they're art supplies to me.   :)
« Last Edit: May 14, 2020, 07:18:14 AM by Pokeyonekenobie »

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2020, 07:32:32 AM »
I still like Funko Pops. Due to my current circumstances I haven't felt that I could add any new ones lately.  I usually just buy characters that I like and that I can find easily.

I've been disappointed a few times in the quality of the Funko Pops. One of Disney characters has a flaw in her arm where the vinyl didn't completely cover it.  I had to buy a 2nd Sailor Moon Funko because the first one I bought looks like someone colored her face with purple crayon.  I always buy my Pops new unless they are a gift  I know flaws will happen with anything that is mass produced but a new item shouldn't come out of the box looking like it's used.

A lot of times I'll find out about a Funko release only after they've been out for quite a while. I didn't even know about the Miraculous Ladybug pops until they were only on Amazon.

I also don't like that they will sometimes make on character out of set a hard to get exclusive. I love 80's Strawberry Shortcake and when the Pops came out I was able to get them except for Purple Pie Man. I know sometimes you can get the exclusives from Barnes and Noble and Gamestop but sometimes the exclusives are gone before I get a chance to get them.

Ponyfan

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2020, 07:53:53 AM »
I don't really care for them.. but... I do have some. Mostly characters where it's difficult to find any merch of them, or chars that I love so much I HAD to get them. (You can't expect me to go into a shop, see a CatDog figure, and not bring it home with me!) They sorta grew on me. Plus it is nice to have something with SO MUCH variety, there's something for everyone!

I've found the best ones are the figures where they change the head-shape a bit, or (even better!) change the soulless black eyes. :P

Offline Aeryala

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Twinkle Eye Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2020, 09:12:09 AM »
They're way more appealing than I want them to be, but I've so far successfully refused to allow Funko Pops in my home.  It's so obviously a slippery slope and a collection that could get overwhelming really fast.  Plus, I decided a while ago not to collect things that just sit on a shelf and can't even get photographed. 

I did finally cave last year though, and made an exception for the 30th anniversary Ursula from The Little Mermaid.  I'm a sucker for Ursula.

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • Trade Count: (+131)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2020, 12:43:07 PM »
omg. so yeah. this thread made me check out what's coming out for funkos.

look at this adorable cubone *melt*
https://www.gamestop.com/toys-collectibles/funko/pop/products/pop-games-pokemon-cubone/209237.html?utm_kxconfid=t9vz73bvj&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIsJu18o206QIVRr7ACh3mMgJ7EAQYASABEgIkTfD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

further proof to me, if these things didn't have square heads i would like these things.

:: my etsy :: 3DS FC 1735-9876-4867 // SW-8381-5856-2018

Offline poniesthatsparkle

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rainbow Curl Pony
  • TAF Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2020, 06:44:37 PM »
I've got a small handful of Funko Pops. I don't hate them, but I don't love them, either. I just buy characters I really like and ignore the rest.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal