collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Powder Pose  (Read 1219 times)

Offline WaterDraw

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Brush N Grow Pony
  • Back from the dead
    • View Profile
Powder Pose
« on: May 02, 2020, 02:21:24 AM »
Does anyone know why Powder's pose is so underused? It was only used for a handful of unicorns (and some earth ponies) and I'm not sure why. It's personally one of my favorite poses and I can't think of why it wasn't used more? The only thing I can maybe think of is it being hard to put ponywear on that pose, but it doesn't look like  it'd be that hard (the head being maybe the only problem?).
If anyone has any theories or even knows why, I'd love to hear!
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Mimic drawn by me~
Inspired by one of the Fluttershy redesigns and The Last Unicorn

Offline Minty_Magic

• Trade Count: (+27)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
Re: Powder Pose
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2020, 03:34:20 AM »
I wish I knew for sure! It’s such a cute pose, I love seeing them on my shelf because it looks like they’re looking up at me! :)

I wonder if it could have something to do with that pose being hard to remove from the mold? Wasn’t there some story like that on....was it the bubbles sitting pose? I may be imagining this whole thing but that’s the only reason I can think of why a pose would be seldom used

Thank you to Squarepeg for my avatar!

Offline Lilja

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2020, 03:42:58 AM »
I think the pose can wear pretty much all pony wear outfits fine (except Ponynaut, which is the case for all unicorns). And by the time Hasbro stopped making new poses and began just reusing old ones (year 6), they also weren't making pony wear anymore.

The reason it wasn't reused much is probably because, like the sitting pose, it isn't very versatile for play, with the head looking straight up. I think it's stranger Glory's pose was never reused later, since it seems like a good basic unicorn pose (and Moondancer's pose came back twice).

At least the Powder pose saw great use in the Dance 'n Prance set (probably because it was the only pose that worked with the gimmick). And Hasbro did consider using it for Sweet Pocket.  :)

Offline Elfpony

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+71)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2020, 04:41:07 AM »
I agree, I think it was because it’s a difficult pose to play with for a child, rather like Seashell’s pose. While I love them both now, I do remember being frustrated by them as a child because Seashell couldn’t do anything active and Powder couldn’t look at anything without basically lying down on her chest.

Elf

Offline IceCrystal02

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2020, 04:51:56 AM »
I also agree, it's one of my favourite unicorn poses, I love Coco Berry /  Chocolate Chip. I have no idea why it was underused, but the reasons Lilja and Elfpony stated sound very plausible.

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2020, 04:52:25 AM »
I'll never understand why people say certain poses aren't conducive to play when most poses are just standing ones.

I have no idea why?
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline Lilja

• Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2020, 06:36:44 AM »
I'll never understand why people say certain poses aren't conducive to play when most poses are just standing ones.

In this case it's because the pony's gaze is facing straight upwards. Children will want to play that their ponies are interacting and talking to each other, and it might feel a bit off if the ponies aren't able to easily look at each other.

I think Hasbro wanted to have the right balance, where a pose is dynamic and able to awaken the child's imagination that the pony is doing something and has character, without being too limiting. From that perspective, a pose that is just "standing there" isn't very appealing either, even if it is versatile. Which is why I think they stopped using the original collectors' pose, while the Posey walking pose was so favored and used in nearly every set. In that pose the pony is clearly doing something and is in motion, but it can be used in nearly any situation the child might like to imagine and works for any type of personality. She can be running, strutting her stuff, striking a pose or just walking from one place to another.

Offline FiddlePhan

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Twinkle Eye Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://myworld.ebay.com/specialefxgreetings
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2020, 08:31:35 AM »
I wonder if it could have something to do with that pose being hard to remove from the mold? Wasn’t there some story like that on....was it the bubbles sitting pose? I may be imagining this whole thing but that’s the only reason I can think of why a pose would be seldom used

Yes.  When Kirk Hindman designed the sitting pose, her back legs originally were meant to be splayed out a bit to the sides.  He got approval all the way up to mold making where the design was then rejected because it was too hard to get her out of the mold.   So she was redesigned in the sitting pose we now have. 

Fun fact.  The sitting pose is Kirk's favourite of the poses he made.

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2020, 08:44:37 AM »
It could be any of those reasons, but it could also just be a coincidence.  I think people ascribe a lot of well-thought out, logical reasoning to things that happen in the toy industry, when the actual reason is "Uhhhh, I dunno, we just didn't."
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2020, 11:21:16 AM »
It could be any of those reasons, but it could also just be a coincidence.  I think people ascribe a lot of well-thought out, logical reasoning to things that happen in the toy industry, when the actual reason is "Uhhhh, I dunno, we just didn't."

ROFL - so true!

Unfortunately it probably comes down to something really simple like issues on moulding - maybe the pony cost a little more to make, was harder to pack or any manner of manufacture reasons. And therefore it is included in order to offer variety but not a favoured pose :)
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline Lilja

• Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2020, 11:29:22 AM »
Another thing to keep in mind is that Hasbro was phasing out all unicorns and pegasi in the later years of G1, so there weren't a lot of opportunities for this mold to reappear for that reason too. And for the few unicorns/pegasi they made in the last years, they seemed to only want to use the Surprise or Dancing Butterflies pose for pegasi and the Gusty or Buttons pose for unicorns.

Online Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2020, 03:09:12 PM »
When you start breaking down ponies by pose., you realise that for most of the unicorn poses there are far fewer characters anyway than you'd find in many of the Earth poses. There are one or two that have a pretty wide range, but others have a much smaller number of ponies in the pose. For example, the Moondancer pose is pretty much Moondancer, Sunbeam, Princess Misty (at a stretch, if you count her modified one) and Sugar Sweet. Fewer than the Powder pose I think. And even the Mimic pose doesn't have that many. There's Mimic, Bangles, Princess Amethyst, Milky Way...any others?

I think even the Glory pose only has five..? Glory, Windy, Moonstone, Majesty and Twilight?

So there's not really anything significant about Powder's pose. On the contrary, we should be talking about how there are so many unicorns using Gusty's pose instead :P
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline WaterDraw

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Brush N Grow Pony
  • Back from the dead
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2020, 07:01:37 PM »

Yes.  When Kirk Hindman designed the sitting pose, her back legs originally were meant to be splayed out a bit to the sides.  He got approval all the way up to mold making where the design was then rejected because it was too hard to get her out of the mold.   So she was redesigned in the sitting pose we now have. 

Fun fact.  The sitting pose is Kirk's favourite of the poses he made.

Do you think it being hard to come out of the mold is the reason why a lot of ponies I see in the Powder pose have their horns bent back and out of shape? Or is that just more of a how people stored their ponies problem? I've just always wondered since I've seen a handful of ponies in that particular pose to have their horn pushed back...

Another thing to keep in mind is that Hasbro was phasing out all unicorns and pegasi in the later years of G1, so there weren't a lot of opportunities for this mold to reappear for that reason too. And for the few unicorns/pegasi they made in the last years, they seemed to only want to use the Surprise or Dancing Butterflies pose for pegasi and the Gusty or Buttons pose for unicorns.
Yeah, I noticed that too...I wonder if like other people said it was more of a cost issue? Like maybe Hasbro didn't want to make as much unicorn or pegasi because of the extra plastic needed for their horns/wings and the poses that they used were just the cheapest of the unicorn/pegasi molds? That's just speculating though on my end...

When you start breaking down ponies by pose., you realise that for most of the unicorn poses there are far fewer characters anyway than you'd find in many of the Earth poses. There are one or two that have a pretty wide range, but others have a much smaller number of ponies in the pose. For example, the Moondancer pose is pretty much Moondancer, Sunbeam, Princess Misty (at a stretch, if you count her modified one) and Sugar Sweet. Fewer than the Powder pose I think. And even the Mimic pose doesn't have that many. There's Mimic, Bangles, Princess Amethyst, Milky Way...any others?

I think even the Glory pose only has five..? Glory, Windy, Moonstone, Majesty and Twilight?

So there's not really anything significant about Powder's pose. On the contrary, we should be talking about how there are so many unicorns using Gusty's pose instead :P

Yeah I noticed when I was looking at unicorn molds there are such a small amount! I was looking on My Little Wiki to see all the g1 poses out of curiosity and I totally accidentally scrolled past the unicorn poses  :shocked: There's just not a lot compared to the massive amount of earth pony poses.
It's weird how even the baby poses carry this trait as there's a lot of baby earth pony poses but an itty bitty amount of baby pegasi and unicorn poses.
I wonder if the whole reason for there being so few unicorns is because of the imposed rule that they have to have two colors in their hair which cost more money? I'm not sure how tight they stuck to that rule though.
Perhaps Hasbro just wanted unicorns to be rare in the MLP universe too  :P
But yeah looking at the massive amount of unicorns that used the Gusty and Buttons pose it's crazy. It would be cool if they branched off more often into the less used unicorn poses though, to add some variety but oh well.

Mimic drawn by me~
Inspired by one of the Fluttershy redesigns and The Last Unicorn

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal