collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: What if Sanrio owned MLP?  (Read 851 times)

Offline Mana Minori

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
What if Sanrio owned MLP?
« on: April 10, 2020, 08:39:41 AM »
What if Sanrio owned the MLP G1 Takara IP? I believe that the rights are currently in the hands of Sony, after being bought from Bushiroad. I don’t believe that Sony has any intention of using the Takara ponies in a way that brings them back to appeal to a newer generation or old nostalgic collectors, though only time will tell. However, the Takara design lends itself remarkably well to the Sanrio style, so what if they actually owned the IP? What can you see being done with the Takara ponies under their company, if this were the case?
formerly nightmare muffin

Offline WaterDraw

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Brush N Grow Pony
  • Back from the dead
    • View Profile
Re: What if Sanrio owned MLP?
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2020, 01:27:45 AM »
I know this is kind of old but I just found it and thought it interesting.

For one, I could definitely see a bunch of Hello Kitty crossovers, Sanrio loves cross-promotion after all  ;)
Whether that would be special Hello Kitty style clothes, little charms, or even a pony that was designed like Hello Kitty and all her friends, I could totally see it.
If it was present-day we're talking about, then I can definitely see them doing squishies or something like that since it's a trendy toy and there's some Hello Kitty squishies as well.
Probably plushes and maybe blind bags since that's an industry standard at this point?
If we were lucky maybe even a TV Show  :biggrin:

These are all my hypothesis though. I don't know too much about Sanrio though, so apologies if I messed something up  ^^;
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Mimic drawn by me~
Inspired by one of the Fluttershy redesigns and The Last Unicorn

Offline gemini_pony

• Trade Count: (+38)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • <3 Pony Time!! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2020, 01:07:39 PM »
It would mean anyone making custom molds would get a cease and desist, because sanrio is a jerk about stuff like that.  They even slap cease and desists on people doing art commissions in their style.

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2020, 07:21:21 AM »
I'm glad they don't. I adore Sanrio Surprise, but their merch is ridiculously expensive.
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2020, 12:43:07 PM »
It would mean anyone making custom molds would get a cease and desist, because sanrio is a jerk about stuff like that.  They even slap cease and desists on people doing art commissions in their style.
I have to agree with this.  There would be no fandom anymore, because they would C&D us all. 
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal