collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Ack! What do I do?  (Read 1896 times)

Offline dragonlady

• Master of Organized Chaos
  • Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+191)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
Ack! What do I do?
« on: March 08, 2020, 08:08:13 AM »
I had a set of Bittie Baby clothes up for auction that ended with no bids. I had someone message me afterwards asking if I would take $12 ( I had it up for $15). I thought this was fine and set up a BIN for $15 with a make an offer option and set it to accept $12. I did this as there had been a couple people watching the auction and wanted to make sure this person got it. Well, in the 2 frickin minutes it took me to message tge person someone ELSE made an offer of $12 and got it! What do I do? I told the first person she could have it but technically the second person won it fairly. Oh why did i choose the automatic accept....

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
Re: Ack! What do I do?
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2020, 08:47:22 AM »
First thing is, have you checked to make sure second bidder is not first bidder accidentally logged on on someone else's account in their household? Have totally done that in the past...

And just the timing of it makes me think that's possible. What are the odds of the same offer 2 mins after you relist from a different person?

If not, then I guess your only choice is to talk to your two buyers about the situation. I think someone is going to be upset either way, it's better to be up front from the start about whose transaction you consider valid.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline dragonlady

• Classifieds
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2020, 08:52:45 AM »
Sadly not the same person as the original person asked where the listing was:(

Offline dragonfly

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+65)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2020, 10:58:02 AM »
I mean, it comes down to whether you decide to side with eBay policy compliance or honor your arrangement with the other buyer.

Technically, and I think you know this, the eBay buyer takes precedence, even though the original person will be disappointed. That's a risk you both took when you decided to re-list for an eBay purchase rather than taking the transaction private at that point, which you could have done, as the original listing ended.

The other buyer did buy it fair and square. I feel ya.

If it were me, I'd probably message the eBay buyer and explain that this was a custom link for a person who had already arranged the purchase price and they made the BIN in the two minutes while you were messaging the other buyer. I'd give the eBay buyer an option as to whether they would be willing to cancel the transaction or whether they're set on getting it. The first buyer could have purchased during the original auction...

It is a sticky situation, for sure. I think if you handle it with grace and are honest about the situation, you can manage it with a satisfactory outcome. I would just put the first buyer on hold for the time being and see what you can work out with the second buyer. No need to alarm the other person if the BIN person is willing to cancel the transaction.

My guess is that I think the second buyer will be bummed but, (especially if they're active in the collector community) will also understand that these things happened and they will appreciate your honesty and agree to cancel the sale - IF you approach it like this and don't panic everyone  :yikes:

Offline dragonlady

• Classifieds
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2020, 03:51:18 PM »
Everything worked out so I can breathe again, thanks for all the advice!

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • Trade Count: (+131)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2020, 04:57:11 PM »
That's a risk you both took when you decided to re-list for an eBay purchase rather than taking the transaction private at that point, which you could have done, as the original listing ended.

Eh, it doesn't need to be a private transaction. You can set buy it now settings to manual to approve a sale.

I'm glad it worked out for you OP.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

:: my etsy :: 3DS FC 1735-9876-4867 // SW-8381-5856-2018

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal