collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: The Plant Thread  (Read 18890 times)

Online BlackCurtains

• Mad Scientist
  • Trade Count: (+69)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Orange ponies are the best.
    • View Profile
    • BlackCurtains Crafts
Re: The Plant Thread
« Reply #780 on: March 23, 2024, 07:51:02 AM »
I forgot to water Ben and he's droopy this morning. My watering can is small and I have to fill it up twice to get everyone. I think I was distracted yesterday and didn't finish :think:
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Instagram | Facebook
Commissions are Closed
Avatar and sig by Mione (offsite)

Online Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #781 on: March 23, 2024, 04:24:57 PM »
I forgot to water Ben and he's droopy this morning. My watering can is small and I have to fill it up twice to get everyone. I think I was distracted yesterday and didn't finish :think:

If you water him well he will probably perk up. If plants are short on water they prioritise first the roots, then leaves, then flowers. My poor streptocarpus has had a few moments when it's been too hot either due to sun from outside or the radiator and has drooped, but she's fine after a good drink. I am very attentive to her now I know that's a thing she does :)

I have an unexpected extra seedling. I went to clear away the soil from those that didn't germinate with the others and there was one that had belatedly poked its leaves through. I've transplanted it and put it with the others. It's a long way behind but so far doing okay.

My spider plants keep tickling the seedlings. I had to move one of them around earlier because it was brushing the baby plant leaves (note, it was not doing that the day before, they do actually move their leaves xD). They are just so curious...o.o.

We had some gardeners in this week to help with the trees and my buddleia. Dad can't get up there anymore and I'm not strong enough to cut back really big woody plants. They were great, actually. The Buddleia and apple tree look a lot better. However, I do regret that they took a branch from the birch tree. None of us realised it would leak so much sap (I would absolutely have stopped it if I had realised ahead of time). Fortunately it was only one branch, as the gardener was very honest about the impact. But I feel bad that we hurt the tree :/

Also!

The wretched bluetits keep beheading my tulips. I now have four tulip flowers inside in vases after three days of persistent tulip-snipping from tiny beaks. I think they are getting their own back on me for not letting them peck at my cherry blossom. Grr.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Online BlackCurtains

• Mad Scientist
  • Trade Count: (+69)
  • Orange ponies are the best.
    • View Profile
    • BlackCurtains Crafts
« Reply #782 on: March 25, 2024, 09:09:26 AM »
Ben did perk up after a nice warm soak :)

Here is something a little different... one of my Amazon Swords has grown up out of the tank and it has two little flower buds.

Halfway down the new stalk is a bunch of new leaves too.

Instagram | Facebook
Commissions are Closed
Avatar and sig by Mione (offsite)

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
    • View Profile
« Reply #783 on: March 25, 2024, 07:29:56 PM »
Taffeta, I love seeing your plants.  :D

I've noticed that my lavender likes to try to reach out to the strawberry plant.

Speaking of the strawberry plant, I had to pick the little strawberry. :( The part that was in the potting soil had a huge white spot on it.  It didn't smell like a fresh strawberry anymore either.  I also cut off the little green things that I think were supposed to be strawberries, but they never grew or turned red.

I'm not sure Ponyfan but it lookes like the top of the twigs of the ficus are green? Thats a good sign. What happens if you bend the twigs a little? If they're alive they should bend easily, if it's dead and the twigs dry they should snap.

Most of the twigs have green at the top. :D  I bent some of the twigs and they didn't snap. 

I'm glad I didn't put the plants outside yet because it's supposed to freeze tonight.

Ponyfan

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Offline Beth3346

• Trade Count: (+91)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • she/her/hers - Baby Mint Dreams by Lady Satine
    • View Profile
    • My Little Pony Collection
« Reply #784 on: Yesterday at 07:20:40 AM »
my avocado tree is looking a little wilted this morning. i moved it to a sunnier location and it perked up a bit. i think it may also be a little cold still. we're getting into the mid/low 40sF at night. hopefully it's condition improves once it warms up a bit. it's supposed to be a high of 90 next week so it's heating up fast.

i injured my hand so my husband is going to finish planting the rest of the shrubs. i'm also going to order more plants to fill out the rest of the flowerbed :devious:

i've been taking care of the watering since it's still a little cold and my husband tends to water the leaves of the plants instead of putting water into the soil. i might just keep doing the watering myself since he tends to over water too.
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 07:22:44 AM by Beth3346 »
Current Grails - Dutchies, Princess Variants PM me if you have any for sale - Want List

Online Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #785 on: Yesterday at 11:40:25 AM »
My Dad's avocado is struggling, too. I don't know if it will survive :/

This morning we went to the garden centre and got some plants for hanging baskets and such.

And...I did a thing.

There were some primroses (UK definition of primrose here, not sure what they are called in other places xD) which had been tipped out of their tray into the (gasp) JUNK BIN. They were going to be composted in the SKIP. And they were not only alive but flowering still. And I could not leave the poor things there. So I got up my courage to be the weird girl and asked the staff. They were reluctant at first but I told them I was happy to pay for them. So in the end, I paid the clearance plant price and brought six unexpected primroses home with me. They are all alive, most of them are pretty good, two of them are in full flower. They've been watered and are sitting happily on the patio now waiting the next stage in their life adventure. Dad loves primroses and there are always spaces for them in our garden, so they will be well appreciated here.

I do rescue plants when I can. We had some we rescued from a supermarket before the pandemic. One was a primula which looked more or less dead. That same primula is currently flowering happily in my garden four years later. But this is the first time I've rescued them from the brink of being composted. Very scary getting up the courage to ask. But they were nice people :)

Editing in...I said I'd take a photo of my dragon tree sometime. Well, here he is..

This is Nikolai :) Aka Nik.
« Last Edit: Today at 11:26:45 AM by Taffeta »
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal