collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Shipping question  (Read 1588 times)

Offline dragonlady

• Master of Organized Chaos
  • Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+191)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
Shipping question
« on: January 28, 2020, 04:45:19 AM »
I'm in the US and someone in Australia wants to buy some dolls from me. I want to include some kind of tracking; registered first class mail is $44 and Priority is $54. I noticed that with click n ship if I go first class that there is Electronic USPS Delivery Confirmation International at no extra charge. Would that protect me and the seller if the package goes missing? What exactly does it do? I'm working on 4 hours sleep so my brain is not making sense of it, lol. I want to be covered if something happens and still be a reasonable price for the buyer.

Thank you!

Offline bluerose9978

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+450)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/oh5/bluerose9978/MLP
Re: Shipping question
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2020, 05:21:28 AM »
Delivery confirmation won't protect the seller if the package goes missing it just lets you (and eBay) know the buyer received the package in case the buyer were to make a case they didn't receive it. If it shows it was received then you're covered.

If Priority is $54 when First Class is $44, I'd choose Priority. You may want to look into it but I believe Priority includes some insurance in case the package does go missing.

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2020, 08:00:10 AM »
As an international person, if the items were valuable, I would want you to use the more expensive option.

The USPS tracking numbers do keep a great track on where items go (one of mine once got detoured from VA to Bangladesh and then Dubai and then finally to the UK and to me, and I know that thanks to that free tracking option from the USPS. But the item didn't go missing, so I have no idea if it would help in terms of insurance...I waited it out because I knew what country it was in, even if it wasn't the right one.

But yeah, with something valuable, it's better to take the higher option with the best cover for you and your buyer. Maybe talk to them about it too, but it's generally better to spend a little more on shipping than lose it all later on because of a postage issue.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2020, 07:34:21 AM by Taffeta »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline flying_narwhal

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Brush N Grow Pony
    • View Profile
    • My Etsy Store
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2020, 01:18:45 PM »
Just double checked USPS' website: "Priority Mail International shipments containing merchandise are insured against loss, damage, or missing contents up to $200 at no additional charge."

If it is only a $10 difference, I'd probably opt for Priority since it comes with the insurance.

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
  • Trade Count: (+101)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2020, 03:06:54 PM »
You don't need "registered" first class mail for there to be tracking/confirmation.  The tracking is the same on first class as it is on Priority- and reasonably good between the US and Australia.  "Registered mail" means it will be under lock and key- which is great if it is a very valuable item, but not usually necessary.  "Registered mail" is not the same as insured mail.

The first class rate does not come with insurance unless you buy it extra.  Adding insurance may or may not be cheaper than sending via priority.  If you don't send insured, and the package gets damaged or lost in transit-  neither you or the buyer are covered.

Priority does come with "indemnity"  which varies by country.

I usually leave it to the buyer to pick.  I let them know the priority option comes with the indemnity so if the package gets lost or damaged in the mail- I will be able to file a claim.

If they want to go with cheaper first class - they can do so but they need to agree to accept responsibility in the unlikely event of loss or damage during transit. 

If they say they still want first class, their email confirmation that they will accept risk of loss is enough of a contract to bind them should the package go missing during transit or get crushed- and they try to file a paypal claim.

Another thing I'll add is that most of my international friends tell me that first class is usually way less likely to get delayed in customs (or even stopped). So it ends up being faster than Priority.

Offline dragonlady

• Master of Organized Chaos
  • Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+191)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2020, 03:57:25 PM »
Thanks everyone! For some reason i was thinking insurance was included if you did registered mail so thats good to know that its not. The site didn't mention being able to add insurance to first class so also good to know.

Thanks again for all the help, I really appreciate it!!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal