collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Avoid Ebays' BAD Advice: How to SAFELY Go On Vacation Shop & Ebay Listings  (Read 1942 times)

Offline WingsOfMasquerade

• Trade Count: (+230)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
Back from vacation and...
Felt the need to post. If this helps any person avoid the scary hassle I had, it'll be worth it. Because wow Ebay is super deceptive with what they tell you to do if you're going away. And help? It's really hard to find, and certainly there's none online. Is it on purpose/malicious? I don't think so, I just don't think they're very good at what they do with their help pages.

The ONLY SAFE WAY to vacation your listings auctions OR fixed price

1. Go thru each one and set your handling time to more days than the vacation. Gone 8? Set for 10.
That's it.
The only thing you can do, or they'll be happy to burn you because everything's automated.

The help page will of course, call your fixed price stuff 'a store' and tell you how to set it to away, and it gives you this cute little calander where you pick the days you're gone to and from, and helps you set your 'my ebay messages' away message and all, and then lets you hit "save settings" and says everything's all well and good.

But it's not.
That does LITERALLY NOTHING.
Unless you're paying for a store/subscription on ebay. But it lets you go thru all the steps and doesn't remind you/tell you/warn you anywhere that it doesn't apply to fix price or myshop stuff. It lets you act like you have a store when you don't. It leads you into thinking you did the right thing, AND that it will apply to the listings you have up NOW. Terms like 'vacation for fix price', 'vacation listings', 'away from ebay'....all those terms point to the same misleading help page.

So of course, what happens is 2 of the items that I've had up at fixed price that languished for months sold the very first day we hit the wilderness due to murphy's law or something idk.
I ended up having to call ebay (o no) and they said the only thing to do was refund both buyers & then gave the 'handling time' advice, or the 'just tear down all your auctions and end everything right now, then relist it all when you get back'. Well, part 2 of course seems sniffing for fees. So I 1by1 handling time'd and it worked fine, but was labor intensive. Then, naturally, nothing else sold for the whole trip.

But it seems like that advice is nowhere on the internet...at least I sure couldn't find it when I really needed it.
And if that happens, I get compelled to publish the information somewhere at least, so maybe it helps someone.
It's especially relevant because now the whole 'fix price is good till cancelled' thing they implemented. Of course, I was running 0 auctions, and ordinarily I'd of let the fix prices just run out/have nothing up because I know how to be good and plan ahead. But the new way is 'they're up forever' so this is an important bit of info to know.

Offline Pumpkin_Tart

• Trade Count: (+27)
  • Rainbow Curl Pony
    • View Profile
Oh no! I am so sorry that happened to you!  :( Thanks for the advice as I sell on eBay. 

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
My vacation is next week, and I don't want to miss out on possible sales but I'd hate to get an angry message over it. Thanks for the tip, it's sad that they make it so hard now.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Sig by Starscout <3

Offline bluerose9978

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+450)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/oh5/bluerose9978/MLP
Glad I have a starter store. It's been worth it in the long run.

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • Trade Count: (+131)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
My recommendation is still just end your auctions. It takes 5-10 seconds. And it's easy enough to relist.

Buyers aren't going to be forgiving to extended shipping times. Although if you went this route, then the bulk edit tool is the way to go since you don't have to click through each one. (although ebay makes it hard to find the stupid thing these days).

The other option is setting the BiN so high (but take offers) that NO one will buy it outright-- but an offer will buy you a few days.

I think there's a possibility of setting a quantity as well, because you could set it to 0 and then the item will drop off searches. And back to 1 when you come back. But I've never done this.

Also:
I ended up having to call ebay (o no) and they said the only thing to do was refund both buyers & then gave the 'handling time' advice, or the 'just tear down all your auctions and end everything right now, then relist it all when you get back'. Well, part 2 of course seems sniffing for fees.

There are no fees if you don't go beyond your free 50 listings.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2019, 07:16:18 AM by banditpony »

:: my etsy :: 3DS FC 1735-9876-4867 // SW-8381-5856-2018

Offline Ringlets

• Mrs. Chief
  • Trade Count: (+182)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
  • Be yourself, dare to dream!
    • View Profile
Thanks for sharing your advice/experience :hug:  :bigups:
 I've  never found ebay helpful whenever I've been on holiday so I've always ended up cancelling all listings until I got back , because you can guarantee that something will sell as soon as you're away  :awake:

:heart: Wanted:heart:
:glitter: :heart: :glitter: CHIEF LOVES RINGLETS FOREVER :glitter: :heart: :glitter:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal