collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: what is your opinion on g1 saddles and bridels  (Read 7302 times)

Online Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
Re: what is your opinion on g1 saddles and bridels
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2019, 03:00:04 PM »
If I were a pony, I would wear them to a fancy event as a traditional costume. Pretty much like we still like to wear corsets and stuff to feel classy, even though they are not part of our daily life anymore. :D

That's a cute idea!

@Ponyfan - so maybe it's like her security blanket, that she takes around with her?

I also prefer a human free pony world. I suspect my dislike of Megan as a kid was partly because of anathema towards dolls, especially blond haired blue eyed dolls (I was blond and blue eyed aged 4, so the irony is palpable)...but also partly because I envied her a bit. If I couldn't go play with the ponies, why should she?

(Five year old Taffeta firmly believed ponyland was genuinely on the other side of the Rainbow).
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline SpacePinto

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2019, 03:09:37 PM »
I think they look cute, too bad they never showed up in the cartoon.
Inka Dinka Doo

Online ZeldaTheSwordsman

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • "Death to Eclipse" protests DA's dumb new UI
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2019, 04:21:02 PM »
I think they're pretty to look at and have the ponies wear on occasion. I agree that they feel a bit off with the concept of the ponies as sentient independent beings, but I justify it as them being something the ponies adopted to help bipedal friends they deign to bear (After all, not everyone is as good at bareback as Megan and her siblings!), to help themselves carry baggage, and to wear for decorative purposes. I do agree that the rubber bridle and saddle from the Pretty Parlor and Show Stable are awkward compared to, say, the saddle from the Great Skates set and the fabric bridles sported by Sundance and Baby Sundance

I'm actually not a big fan of the saddles and bridles on ponies.  I think the early playsets like the Show Stable and Pretty Parlor were made when Hasbro was trying a "Look! You can do some of the same things you'd do with real horses with MLP!" as those two playsets seem to focus more on the equestrian side of things as they are a stable that included jumps and place to groom your ponies that included saddles.
I think you're right on the money there.

I agree with Taffeta that the ponies probably decide if they want to use the sadles and bridles or not. :)
Hehe, quite.

I don't like the saddles and bridles and stuff. But I also don't want Megan or Molly and I prefer a human-less pony world so that's probably just me. I'm not a horse person but I'm a pony person, you know?
I do like other ponywear a LOT but tack is just weird.

I'm with you on this. Megan and Molly are not my thing. For me I think it's because they are supposedly muggles from the 'real world' and I don't really like the idea of a bridge between the two worlds. When I'm in Ponyland I like to be completely immersed and for there to be no real world to think of.
I don't think it's meant as a case of their world being meant as 'real' and the pony world not, except in the sense of them being proxies in the world for the audience/the kids playing with the toys. I think it's more a case of them being people from a mundane world being thrust into a strange and magical (but equally real) one. Rather a lot like Dorothy ending up in the Land of Oz, in fact (especially the books).

But I do like the idea of magical humans, fairy folk and animals etc in Ponyland. I assume that all ponies are magical creatures at least to some extent, so maybe there are magical humans among the other magical creatures in Ponyland?
Well, the cartoon and comics certainly bear out there being humans native to that world.

So maybe Earth ponies can tack themselves up if they ever want to give rides to thier bipedal Ponyland friends? Maybe it's like keeping a spare motorbike helmet in your garage even if you hardly ever use it.
I agree with this idea.
should be perma-moderated

Offline brightberry

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2019, 05:03:17 PM »
As a kid, when G1 was out, I thought they were cute.  On g4 ponies, it's kind of weird as they're practically two-legged themselves. 

Real horses in tack can completely ignore us if they want and if we frustrate them, much worse. 

Child me felt the ponies they were just making it so two-legs don't accidentally fall off and so they can communicate directions if the pony doesn't know where they're going.  Or the rider sees something to avoid just from their higher vantage point.  If you're galloping along, it's just a faster way to say "look out" instead of being too late.  But ultimately, the pony was in control and just didn't want to be slowed down by plodding two-legged friends.  Kind of like how we carry our smaller pets around.  Even Twinkles had his own basket. 

As an adult... eh.  I'd rather be a pony.  :)

Sig art by SquarePeg!

Offline Goanna

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2019, 06:43:19 PM »
Yeah, I'm one of the people who prefers no humans in MLP, so I'm not too fond of saddles and bridles.

Offline BubbleTea

• Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
    • Must Collect Horses
« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2019, 08:27:23 PM »
I see them as something the ponies wear as a choice. Maybe they just want to go out on a fun ride with Megan or Molly.  :shrug:

Also as a horse crazy person I like them as they are a small reminder that they're horses. I do see why other people think they're weird but I don't mind them.
Sigs by SquarePeg and starrynights
:nerdy: :nerdy: :nerdy:

Offline kingluke

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • The Great King of Lucia
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2019, 11:36:48 PM »
Now the other day I got a lickety split in a small lot. She was wearing a pretty parlor saddle.

I don't know what I want with it. Like how did ponies get saddles (I know from megan, but aren't they like wtf that's so weird)

Some people think they look cute on the ponies but I'm not sure

So what do you think?

Bridels on ponies that are talking? cute accesoires? kinda weird?

let me know please.

edit: thanks for commenting everyone :)

Thank you.

Cheers,

Luke
Lover of Windwhistler

Offline Shaz

• Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2019, 01:42:30 AM »
I'm another person who doesn't really feel saddles and bridles fit in with (my version of) the world of MLP. I do have bipeds in my PonyLand (i.e. my doll collection) but they're just friends, not riders. If they want to go horse-riding they head for the Barbie horses. I remember in Monster High Avea Trotter the centaur gets annoyed when other monsters try to hitch a lift on her back, and I imagine my ponies feel the same way! "We're people, not transport!"

I keep accidentally acquiring saddles in ponywear bundles, which is annoying! I did use one for a photo once. I had Peachy wearing it and Twinkles sat on her back wearing a doll's riding hat. Now I have the little cat-carrying basket that came with the Pretty Parlour and I do use that: Happy Tails Tabby carries her vast number of cats about in it (but she is the pony equivalent of a crazy cat lady!).

I like the idea that the ponies might wear saddles and bridles as fancy dress, especially if (like my ponies) they live in a PonyLand that has humanoid creatures too. I tend to think of clothes as being optional for ponies: not really worn in day-to-day life but fun for special occasions.

Offline Honeycomb

• Looking for BB brushes and bandannas!
  • Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+137)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Wanted: MIB FT Baby Tic Tac Toe
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 19, 2019, 03:34:19 AM »
I have always found them stupid. I had the Pretty Parlour as a child, and I always wondered why on Earth Peachy would put a bridle and saddle on herself! She is nobody's pony, who is supposed to ride her? Ridiculous! So, ever since I was little, I haven't used them. My Ponyland was never and will never be a pony-people land! That's also the reason why I would never own a Megan or Molly.

Offline Squirtsquirt

• Trade Count: (+235)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 19, 2019, 08:32:25 AM »
They were kinda sorta cute when the sets first came out, since yes, the Show Stable was supposed to mimic real horses more than get into the magic of ponies.  I was very distraught when many MANY years later, as I pulled out my original collection, I found my poor Lemon Drop now has all these pink stains on her head and back from the bleeding of the saddle and bridle.   :enraged:

I kept the poor girl, as she is my original Lemon Drop, but I'm still so upset about that.  The saddles and bridles really aren't necessary, and to find out they actually harmed the ponies in the long run was a shame.  The clothes were always more fun to me anyway, and let the imagination run wild a bit more.
Thanks to Whippetluv for my awsome persona pony!!

Offline Nemesis

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • Material Girl
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 19, 2019, 12:16:13 PM »
I wonder whether or not the new reproduction Pretty Parlor saddles/bridles would have the same color bleeding issues... :wonder:

As far as the fiction goes, I always liked Megan and Molly a lot. I love person-in-a-strange-world plotlines, and my childhood self found it downright painful to imagine a WHOLE WORLD of magical ponies with no one to ride them. XD Honestly, I’d be happier if later pony generations involved some human characters to lend that sense of awe to all the magic of Ponyland (which the ponies themselves mostly just consider commonplace). I guess I’m in the minority there, haha.
🌈⭐️Check out my wishlist! Seeking all generations of ponies, Fashion Star Fillies, Magic Meadow Ponies, REMCO ponies, Sweetie Pups/Kitties, cutesy 80s/90s toys, and more!🦄🌙

Offline aquamarinemolly

• Trade Count: (+24)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • ig @aquamarinemolly
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 19, 2019, 01:34:46 PM »
Hard pass from me, except *maybe* the velvet one for baby Sundance, with a daisy on it...but that would be my only exception.
ISO princess ribbons, vintage pony pins, and UK variant Glow in The Dark mane Princess Sapphire

Online Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #27 on: April 19, 2019, 01:55:43 PM »
I noticed that the US stories about ponyland were a lot less magical (except Ember's Dream, although that mentions New York?) than the UK ones, and the US hoofprint for ponies is older than the UK one...so maybe that real aspect was the original intention and then they kind of abandoned it and decided later ponies needed boas and tutus and other important equine accessories..?

I dunno, but I just remember there's a story tape about Glory who is depressed about being a unicorn in a world lacking in magic, and she gets to a magic world and loses her horn and...something? But ponyland is painted as a much less magical place, which might explain the more mundane stable stuff. Also, US Sundance has a bridle in her release with Megan. Neither release of Sundance in the UK has a bridle. Bridles only happen in the UK with the stable and I think the Gymkhana, unless the parlours had one, which they probably did?

In our stories the stable appeared rarely really, although Lemon Drop was always organising gymkhanas (strangely without Butterscotch). The Grooming Parlour(s) appear a little more but I feel like the (more humanesque) Crimp & Curl Hair Salon (Perm Shoppe) got more attention later on, when they got really comfortable with the ideas of ponies as more anthromorphic in their personality likes and dislikes, rather than equine.

That said! Ponies in the comic did always say fun things like pony feathers, happy hooves, etc. And they did eat a fair amount of oat cakes as well as ice cream...??

The more I think about this, the more questions I have about saddles XD.

Final thought, though we've all mentioned Megan and Molly, saddles and bridles predate M&M as toys.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 19, 2019, 02:23:23 PM »
@Ponyfan - so maybe it's like her security blanket, that she takes around with her?

Maybe, I just went back to the story and Sundance lost it while she was swimming.  :silly:  So magical talking horses can swim without the bridle making them uncomfortable :lol:

I noticed that the US stories about ponyland were a lot less magical (except Ember's Dream, although that mentions New York?) than the UK ones, and the US hoofprint for ponies is older than the UK one...so maybe that real aspect was the original intention and then they kind of abandoned it and decided later ponies needed boas and tutus and other important equine accessories..?

I dunno, but I just remember there's a story tape about Glory who is depressed about being a unicorn in a world lacking in magic, and she gets to a magic world and loses her horn and...something? But ponyland is painted as a much less magical place, which might explain the more mundane stable stuff. Also, US Sundance has a bridle in her release with Megan. Neither release of Sundance in the UK has a bridle. Bridles only happen in the UK with the stable and I think the Gymkhana, unless the parlours had one, which they probably did?

In our stories the stable appeared rarely really, although Lemon Drop was always organising gymkhanas (strangely without Butterscotch). The Grooming Parlour(s) appear a little more but I feel like the (more humanesque) Crimp & Curl Hair Salon (Perm Shoppe) got more attention later on, when they got really comfortable with the ideas of ponies as more anthromorphic in their personality likes and dislikes, rather than equine.

That said! Ponies in the comic did always say fun things like pony feathers, happy hooves, etc. And they did eat a fair amount of oat cakes as well as ice cream...??

The more I think about this, the more questions I have about saddles XD.

Final thought, though we've all mentioned Megan and Molly, saddles and bridles predate M&M as toys.

We have the "Magic Rainbow" story in the US where the ponies find a rainbow that can grant wishes and the Glory story but I agree that the US stories don't seem to have as much magic in them as the UK ones.  Here's the Glory story on LadyMoondancer's Youtube Channel

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQkZ_8UVXSA

I like to think that all the ponies have some kind of magic. :)

Ponyfan

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Offline toyjunky

• Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 20, 2019, 04:58:06 AM »
As an adult I don't use them or display my MLP with them.

As a kid, I used the saddle and bridle type accessories off and on with my MLP. If I was playing with just ponies, I didn't use them. But I would often use some of my MLP's as horses for my Strawberry Shortcake dolls. So I suppose it came down to how I was playing at the moment, talking horses = no saddle, pet horses = saddle etc.  I fortunately never had a problem with staining from the accessories because they were not left on the horses. Braided hair left for years on the other hand, that I did do.

I did stain my Rainbow Dash G3 Styling Pony by leaving it in doll clothing too long (about 3 months) and the red dye bled into her plastic.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal