collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: "The Beginning of the End" S9 Ep 1 & 2 Discussion  (Read 11777 times)

Offline Bekuno

• Starstruck
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Space Pony Enthusiast.
    • View Profile
    • Art Website
"The Beginning of the End" S9 Ep 1 & 2 Discussion
« on: April 06, 2019, 09:53:16 AM »
Well here we go folks, after nearly 9 years we've reached the end. The aptly titled "beginning of the end" has aired.

Spoilers & recap ahead!

Episode 1:
Twilight & Co are summoned to Canterlot Castle to meet with Luna and Celestia, who announce they are ready to retire and want Twilight to take the helm as new ruler of Equestria. Meanwhile, Lord Tirek and Cozy Glow are ripped from their cages in Tartarus and brought to a strange location along with Queen Chrysalis and King Sombra. Grogar, one of the infamous villains of G1, has brought these villians together to take down Equestria once and for all. Sombra, however, wishes to take matters into his own hands instead of working as a team. He quickly takes down the Crystal Empire, trapping Shining Armor, Cadence, & Flurry Heart while possessing the crystal ponies to do his bidding. But just as quickly as he reclaimed his home, he loses it once more to the Mane 6, who have arrived with the elements of harmony to banish him back to the ether once more. Though seemingly defeated, it turns out Somba is not yet done for, and his dark crystals begin popping up and he completely shatters the Tree of Harmony & it's Elements.

Episode 2:
Quickly picking up from the first Episode, Sombra has captured the Mane 6. Assuming they are out of the way, he moves on with the next part of his plan. Who needs the Crystal Empire when you can take all of Equestria now? Despite his magic-blocking crystals, the Mane 6 escape their prison quickly by digging underneath is. They quickly rush to ponyville, only to find all theirs friends and loved ones under Sombra's control and quickly marching towards canterlot. What's worse, the Everfree Forest has come to life once more without the Tree of Harmony to control it, and is growing into ponyville. The Mane 6 put up a strong front against the Forest but it is growing too quickly. Luckily, Celestia and Luna arrive in time to fight back. Starswirl also appears, summoned by the collapse of the Tree of Harmony. The three of them band together to fight off the Everfree Forest while the Mane 6 head to Canterlot, where Sombra has already taken up throne due to the Princesses absence. Discord assists the ponies, reflecting all of Sombra's spells, but ends up hit by a beam. After the ponies quickly mourn over Discord, they band together, holding hooves, and remind each other they don't need the elements. After all, the real magic is their Friendship, and it can defeat anything. Together they defeat Sombra once more, freeing the mind controlled ponies and removing the dark crystals from Equestria. Celestia & Luna return and apologize to Twilight for not giving her more time and acting rashly, and it is revealed Discord was just faking, as Discord does. But Sombra was only the first threat, and Grogar and the others are still planning to strike...

--
Gotta say, it's nice to see Sombra, one of the weakest villains in the show, get some proper screen time and dialogue. Also, having Grogar combines the G1 & G4 canon, and some of his speech seems to imply G1 is more canon than we think. I believe Gusty was even mentioned, but my stream cut out and I missed the exact dialogue. Oh, and Twilight seems to be fully willing to give Starlight control of the School & her Castle when she becomes ruler.

I'm really excited to see what exactly will happen this season. I'm sad to see FIM, it's been a big part of my life, but I can't wait to see how it all ends.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
Avatar was drawn by tumblr user Yomirs, sig by LordBlumiere and Sweetpop!  :heart:

Offline StarSwirl05

• Pearlized G3 Prototype Pony
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • Njyugioh
Re: "The Beginning of the End" S9 Ep 1 & 2 Discussion
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2019, 12:20:14 PM »
It was okay I guess. I still have questions regarding the events:
Spoiler
1. If Tartarus is anti-magic, how were Tirek and Cozy Glow freed?
2. So now the Mane Six can defeat villains out of thin air? What then was the point of the Tree of Harmony?
3. Why didn't Twilight teleport into the castle when they first arrived and faced the army of Sombra's new minions?
4. Are the writers really using the show's predictability as humor?
5. Why couldn't the group just either attempt to climb out the top or in between the gaps in the crystal's peaks?
That said, I liked the tie-in to G1 and Grogar certainly sounded menacing, moreso than King Somra's new voice.

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2019, 01:31:01 PM »
Yes, Gusty was called "Gusty the Great".  :) I thought that was a sweet detail.
I wish that they would have stuck with Twilight actually being the ruler of Equestria, although it does feel much more like finale fare than premiere. I also wish they would have kept the flowy, sparkly mane we saw when she was defeating Sombra, but again, finale vs premiere.
I'm still not a big fan of Cozy Glow being put in Tartarus, but I gotta say, she's very funny interacting with the other villains. I do wish she were redeemed, but I'm sure she'll be a big source of amusement for me. "I'm just a kid, sooo"

Sig by Starscout <3

Offline lonewolf

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Scribbles Pony
  • Lyra the dance master
    • View Profile
    • Deviantart account
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2019, 02:47:40 PM »
Overall it was a pretty good start to the season. It's not too hard to view Grogar and his gang as a nod to Lex Luthor and the Legion of Doom. Sombra did pretty good as a villain. The other 3 villains probably won't fare as good over the season (in that light a better name would be "Grogar and the Legion of Dimwits).
 Twi's panic attack was predictable, but still funny, especially with the other's response to her.

I'm the D to the E to the --- and no filly's got the moves like my big wall eyes. I'm De---licious.
Listen to this song while watching my sig: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTi11bFNdMs :P

Offline Pinkie21

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2019, 04:49:41 PM »
I thought it was a pretty strong start to the end of the series.  It was cool to see the villains together.  As for Cozy, I REALLY hope they don’t redeem her.  People can be evil at any age, so it’d be pretty fun to see her go the way of Sombra.  Knowing this series, though, they’ll all be redeemed because *frieeeeendship*. I was so, SO glad there was no Student 6.  As far as Celestia and Luna retiring...don’t they still have to raise and lower the sun and moon?  As far as I know, they’re the only two who can do that, right?  Eh, I’m thinking way too hard about a kids’ show.  But I’m curious as to if they didn’t think this whole thing through, or if they’re able to give Twilight their abilities.  They did so in a previous episode, so I guess it’s a possibility, though what will they do with their own lives?

Offline TJgamer

• Colorswirl Pony
  • An open-minded adventurer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2019, 05:14:05 PM »
That was a pretty good premiere. Probably the best since season 5 (The Cutie Map).
Both Grogar and Gusty the Great were mentioned back in the season 7 episode, A Flurry of Emotions, where Twilight was reading a story to the children. Up until now, I wasn't completely sure if it was real or just a fairy tale. Turns out it's the former.   ^.^
Spoiler
2. So now the Mane Six can defeat villains out of thin air? What then was the point of the Tree of Harmony?
3. Why didn't Twilight teleport into the castle when they first arrived and faced the army of Sombra's new minions?
5. Why couldn't the group just either attempt to climb out the top or in between the gaps in the crystal's peaks?
That said, I liked the tie-in to G1 and Grogar certainly sounded menacing, moreso than King Somra's new voice.
Spoiler
1. Is Tartarus anti-magic? All magic in Equestria was being wiped out in the season 8 finale, if that's what you were thinking of.
2. Keep in mind the Tree of Harmony was created by the Pillars, who didn't have a complete understanding of friendship; especially Starswirl. So I kinda see it as a crutch of some sort that is no longer required.
3. That is a legit question.
4. I guess so. It has been over 8 years now, so patterns are a lot more noticeable.
5. Sort of the same question I had in the season 5 premiere when Twilight and her friends hardly put up a fight against Starlight and her cutie mark magic. A slight tweak in the animation or storyboarding could have helped. Just imagine that the prison is covered too thoroughly for them to fly out. Honestly, the bigger question is why didn't Sombra just take control of them right then, but that's just your typical villain cliché; wanting to see their foe try and fail.
They: You're too old to watch that show!
Me: Can't hear ya, I'm asleep.

Offline StarSwirl05

• Pearlized G3 Prototype Pony
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • Njyugioh
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2019, 05:26:18 PM »
That was a pretty good premiere. Probably the best since season 5 (The Cutie Map).
Both Grogar and Gusty the Great were mentioned back in the season 7 episode, A Flurry of Emotions, where Twilight was reading a story to the children. Up until now, I wasn't completely sure if it was real or just a fairy tale. Turns out it's the former.   ^.^
Spoiler
Spoiler
1. Is Tartarus anti-magic? All magic in Equestria was being wiped out in the season 8 finale, if that's what you were thinking of.
When Twilight and her friends were trapped, twilight wasn't able to escape using her magic. If it isn't anti-magic, then that should've worked.

Offline Lady Frostbite

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
  • Absolutely Abbeylicious!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2019, 05:33:25 PM »
Magic worked WITHIN Tartarus when the creatures gave Twilight to allow them to escape, though. Could just say Grogar's magic is so deep and ancient that it overrides Tartarus so whatever :sweat:

I did find the 'See, she gets it' line funny. It's always great when titled villains get each other's titles.right. I am disappointed Chrysalis is just yelling at logs,she had better not be reformed at the end.

With the upcoming 'Twilight didn't return a book and got a librarian fired' plot, I HAD assumed she wasn't going to take over totally and immediately. I still would have preferred it be a dream. It felt like a fakeout and Discord almost sounded like an angry fan or brony analysist at the end with his rant. Just feels lazy to have them retire rather than have them be more involved.

I don't think making Twilight the sole rular of Equestria is a good idea at ALL. Makes me dislike her even more, honestly.

Signature image artwork done by the talented Starscout!
MLP Gameloft game friend code : 29c831

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2019, 08:02:57 PM »
I really enjoyed the episodes overall and thought for the most part it was a great season opener.

Spoiler
I figured there'd be some kind of trick involved where Celestia and Luna would end up still ruling Equestria. at the end.

I think Starswirl mentioned in a previous episode that the true Elements of Harmony are always inside their bearers so the Element Gems and the Tree of Harmony aren't really necessary in order to activate them.

I didn't see Sunburst at all in the Crystal Empire. Wouldn't he be trying to protect Flurry Heart even if Cadance and Shining Armor each thought the other was looking after her? I was a little disappointed with how Flurry's kidnapping turned out. It seemed Sombra just wanted to capture the royal family so he could control/break the Crystal Heart although I was surprised that he had all 3 of them muzzled when they were forced to bow before him (I guess that was only until they were put in the black crystal prison).

I liked Grogar. He's the first G1 to G4 villain that I felt has actually done the most justice to his character. I liked the mention of Gusty the Great defeating him by taking his bell. I think Grogar's magic is powerful enough to transcend the rules of Equestrian magic. Tirek and Sombra talked like they lived in the same time period as Grogar previously  Chrysalis seemed to just know how he was defeated from the story. 

We also didn't see Thorax or any threat against the Changeling kingdom. I'm assuming everything happened too quickly for word to reach Thorax but I thought he might show up and help Twilight defeat Sombra.

I'm not a big fan of Discord. Telling Sombra who his favorite pony wasn't a smart move (even if he was faking being injured)

I actually laughed at Rainbow Dash's line when she said "The Princesses never help!"

Ponyfan

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2019, 09:09:05 PM »
Yes, Gusty was called "Gusty the Great".  :) I thought that was a sweet detail.
I wish that they would have stuck with Twilight actually being the ruler of Equestria, although it does feel much more like finale fare than premiere. I also wish they would have kept the flowy, sparkly mane we saw when she was defeating Sombra, but again, finale vs premiere.
I'm still not a big fan of Cozy Glow being put in Tartarus, but I gotta say, she's very funny interacting with the other villains. I do wish she were redeemed, but I'm sure she'll be a big source of amusement for me. "I'm just a kid, sooo"

Odd that his defeat is being credited to Gusty when it was North Star who rung the bell and Forget-Me-Not who tricked him into opening the gate. :wonder:
« Last Edit: April 07, 2019, 08:32:02 AM by Leave a Whisper »
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline DreamvalleyMLP

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Twinkle Eye Pony
    • View Profile
Re: \"The Beginning of the End\" S9 Ep 1 & 2 Discussion
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2019, 01:19:49 AM »
Well, that premiere sure was something! Lots of fun, but I think this may be the most rushed episode(s) ever. All the inside jokes were a joy (RD saying Luna and Celestia never helping out the mane 6 in their battles, for example :D ) It's almost as if the writers went through all the fan commentaries of previous episodes and crafted them into this two-parter.

King Sombra seemed a lot less menacing now that we got to hear him speak. I liked him more as a mysterious menacing cloud of darkness whose motivations remained obscure - in comparison. Dude has a seriously bloated ego, that's for sure. All that yapping about how powerful he is :D

Spoiler

1. This being a head scratcher is kind of the point, I think. Despite it being anti-magic, Grogar was still able to teleport Tirek & CG out of it; this just hints at Grogar's power being far greater than anything ever seen or understood. Foreshadowing.
2. The elements and the tree are conduits to magic powers, and over time the mane 6 have grown strong and confident enough to summon and harness their power without their trinkets. That's what I got from it, Discord worded it differently at the end but came down to the same point.
3. Good point. Because they had to stretch it out :)
4. Loved it!
5. Over or under, the end result is the same. Under makes it easier for the earth ponies.

If Grogar is the First Evil (father of villains, as Sombra put it I think), there should have been some mentioning of him long before this premiere. That's the only think that irks me a bit. The rabbit out of a hat thing, like Twilight's brother popping up out of nowhere back in the days.

Discord's hilarious talk at the end was pure gold btw! Lots of laughs there!!

I do hope we get some more explanations on this Grogar's bell, and where it actually is. Hopefully they bring Gusty in (somehow) to defeat Grogar alongside the mane 6.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2019, 01:36:15 AM by DreamvalleyMLP »

Offline SpacePinto

• Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2019, 05:56:45 AM »
and Peach Blossom who tricked him into opening the gate. :wonder:

*Forget-Me-Not
Inka Dinka Doo

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2019, 06:44:47 AM »
Spoiler
I'm also wondering if most creatures believe that Grogar's story is just a fairy tale read to children and not something that actually happened so that's why his sudden appearance surprises everyone and the fact that he was able to summon the remaining villains (even Sombra who was reduced to shadows the first time)

Ponyfan

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2019, 06:52:22 AM »

*Forget-Me-Not
Ironic!
Yeah, I just watched the Return of Tambelon and I wonder if North Star sort of resented Gusty for getting all the credit for essentially no reason. I would love to see Gusty return in some capacity.

Sig by Starscout <3

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2019, 08:23:59 AM »

*Forget-Me-Not

Whoops!  :facepalm: