collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Prototype ponies you wished made it in to mass production  (Read 31420 times)

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
Re: Prototype ponies you wished made it in to mass production
« Reply #60 on: August 22, 2018, 11:20:47 AM »
Those baby flutters are really cute. :lovey: but I bet the wings would have been really delicate on them.

Taffeta, I couldn't find the US commercial on YouTube so this one might be the UK one. :)

I wish I'd kept my US makeup pamphlet but I did find it on the Wiki. I just noticed that one of the ponies advertised in the makeup pamplet is Glittering Gem. :wow:

http://www.mylittlewiki.org/wiki/File:Makeup-pamphlet3.jpg 

http://www.mylittlewiki.org/wiki/File:Makeup-pamphlet2.jpg

Ponyfan

Hrm. Interesting.

So I have the US commercial on a VHS at home that I've had for years from a trade done with Kim Shriner in the late 1990s.

And at first watch I thought them the same but they aren;t.

The French one is probably the same as the UK one - and everywhere the nail polish and make up are inserted,the pose of Star Gleamer is different.

So the prototype pose film is American, but Europe shoved its own stuff in to advertise the make up.

Probably is the same ad as the UK had, but in French.

Now I really want to find that VHS tape :/ Unfortunately, while I can play it, with it being NTSC and my system being PAL, I've never been able to copy it to disc to preserve its contents.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2018, 11:26:42 AM by Taffeta »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 22, 2018, 02:53:46 PM »
That's very interesting. :) That makes me wonder what other US/UK commercials are similar.

Here's one of the Dance n Prance comemricals (also in French) that features the prototype ponies.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k2ab78GIO34

Ponyfan

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 22, 2018, 03:04:53 PM »
That's very interesting. :) That makes me wonder what other US/UK commercials are similar.

Here's one of the Dance n Prance comemricals (also in French) that features the prototype ponies.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k2ab78GIO34

Ponyfan

Pretty sure it's  the same as the US one. I haven't watched the VHS in years but I remember the prototypes. I really want that Songster :'( She was drawn with wings in the comic, clearly from that prototype, but I remember getting her and she didn't have wings and I was so sad :/ I mean, I still loved her, but I was promised wings...

I know that the Party Pony/TAF ad is the same as US, too, just different jingle because of the set being differently named...and the lyrics are SO much better than the annoying MLP Mommy nonsense. I loved that set so much as a kid but I don't actually remember seeing the commercial for any ponies on TV back then :/ I think the party pony one and the hair salon were on a VHS release...

Otherwise I'm not sure. Of course some of the commercials (like Princesse De Lumiere/Princess Sparkle) are almost certainly the same as the UK and not the US for obvious reasons ;)

Going back on topic, Baby Countalot in Ember's pose at the end of this commercial:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gSeH9VzAlvA
She looks cute. And I think that's the third different pose for that pony in total. They really had trouble with deciding poses in that set :/ first time I've seen the Ember one.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2018, 03:22:16 PM by Taffeta »
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Baby Sugarberry

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 22, 2018, 09:43:14 PM »
Randomly going back to this a moment, but that's the nail polish that was sold with this set in the UK release. That nail polish never came out in the US, right? Is this a US commercial? It is, right? What happened there? Were they going to release the US set with the nail polish like they did the UK, and then changed it up to have random free make up in pony sets instead? Mind is boggling O.o.

The Canadian (and likely American) Poof n' Puff Perfume Parlour came with that nail polish bottle, albeit with a different sticker.  I had both the bottle as part of my childhood collection and one I opened from MIB many, many years ago.
G1 Wishlist  It's the final countdown! Looking to purchase the last few G1's for my collection - Watercolor Baby Sea Ponies Foamy, Misty & Surfy - Red Roses - SHS Sweet Sundrop - Springy - Teeny Tiny Snookums (#2)

Offline CinnamonOnions

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rockin Beat Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 23, 2018, 01:58:23 AM »
I wish they had kept Regentropfens prototype symbol! It looks so much nicer with the sun on the right side of the cloud rather than below it, and with the rain drops being below the cloud like in your classic rain cloud drawing ): Nachtlicht was going to have four small stars rather than three big ones too.

Are there pictures of these two?!

It's floating somewhere on Pinterest, an advertisement for german rainbow ponies. Let me see can I find the direct link.
FOUND IT! http://glownshowpony.tumblr.com/post/109108799465/g1-my-little-pony-german-rainbow-pony-set/amp

Haishjalaonajgjkajsbak!!!!!! OMG I am seriously in LOVE with those prototypes! I’ve never seen that image before, and now I’m obsessed with that nightlight with the classic rainbow pony hair, and that star shine and raindrop with the 2nd release rainbow pony hair! Thank you for posting!

Actually, it's been taken from my website. You can tell its the same image from the way the text is cut off at the bottom. The real direct link is below, in context.
http://www.etherella.com/scrapbook2/germany_rainbowponies.htm

I really have nothing to say about that without knowing how the tumblr owner came about it - but I won't say I'm particularly thrilled. I don't like watermarking pictures with tiny details on, but apparently I'm going to have to start doing so :/

The scan comes from a 1987 German pony booklet. This comes from the same booklet:
http://www.etherella.com/scrapbook2/germanbabybig.htm

Not that any of these are particularly significant, except that's definitely a UK baby Lemon Drop in there.

I've somehow never noticed this on your site. And this is sadly the first to come up in Google. D": Sucks, your scans of this are of something so rare that you'd deserve the credits.

Post Merge: August 23, 2018, 02:00:51 AM

I wish they had kept Regentropfens prototype symbol! It looks so much nicer with the sun on the right side of the cloud rather than below it, and with the rain drops being below the cloud like in your classic rain cloud drawing ): Nachtlicht was going to have four small stars rather than three big ones too.

Are there pictures of these two?!

It's floating somewhere on Pinterest, an advertisement for german rainbow ponies. Let me see can I find the direct link.
FOUND IT! http://glownshowpony.tumblr.com/post/109108799465/g1-my-little-pony-german-rainbow-pony-set/amp

Haishjalaonajgjkajsbak!!!!!! OMG I am seriously in LOVE with those prototypes! I’ve never seen that image before, and now I’m obsessed with that nightlight with the classic rainbow pony hair, and that star shine and raindrop with the 2nd release rainbow pony hair! Thank you for posting!

I personaly like the german rainbow hair. :D I'd kill for that Regentropfen though. Not a big fan of her anyways, expect for her lovely rasberry color, but these prototype symbols look so cute - I'd definetly like both Nachtlicht and Regentropfen more if they had kept those symbols. D":
« Last Edit: August 23, 2018, 02:00:51 AM by CinnamonOnions »

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 23, 2018, 03:14:51 AM »
I've somehow never noticed this on your site. And this is sadly the first to come up in Google. D": Sucks, your scans of this are of something so rare that you'd deserve the credits.

Thank you. It's nice that someone cared that it happened.

@Baby Sugarberry, The Perfume Puff Palace did indeed come with a similar bottle, but the reason I pulled it out as an example is that that bottle that came with the Princess B&G set here did have Star Gleamer on the label. It's a little different, there's text, but you can see the correlation. But thanks to Ponyfan's linking the commercial, it's clear how the French one inserts scenes that the US one doesn't have, and the UK one is probably the same. So that explains that.

From MIB Star Gleamer.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2018, 03:35:20 AM by Taffeta »
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 23, 2018, 07:07:57 AM »
BlushingBlue, your posts are fascinating! Thanks for sharing! Those baby flutters... :heart:

Speaking of Big Brothers, the pony that became Slugger was initially going to have a wagon symbol. I'm not a fan of baseball -- and how does a pony use a glove?! -- so I would have much preferred that. No picture of that one, though, I think he didn't even get past the spitballing stage of design!

omg cute! I love Slugger but a wagon symbol would've been so adorable :heart:

Offline lalalei2001

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 23, 2018, 09:35:09 AM »
The Fairy Brights/Celestial Ponies, and Blue Cute Curtsey. There's a box shot but I don't think she actually exists :(

EDIT: Oh wow, that Flutter Hideaway by Ruth Bush looks amazing!

« Last Edit: August 23, 2018, 09:41:38 AM by lalalei2001 »

Offline Ponyfan

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 23, 2018, 12:16:32 PM »
I'm starting to think that US got the random free pony makeup instead of the nail polish and lipstick that came with the UK version of Star Gleamer, especially since Glittering Gem is featured in the US makeup pamphlet.  I also enjoy the UK Party Ponies ad jingle more than the US version.

Poor Baby Countalot. :lol: I wonder why they went through so many designs changes with her. That blue Cute Curtesy is really pretty. I think  Dance and Prance Songster  and Player should have been pegasus ponies too. :)

I think I found a prototype Mirror Mirror in the Magic Message ponies ad

She looks blue with green mane/tail to me instead of all seafoam green.

Ponyfan

Offline Olympus

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Ouchy Roids Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 23, 2018, 01:00:36 PM »
Not a G1 pony, but those full-sized Funko Queen Chrysalis prototypes looked like they probably would have been pretty rad. (Though Chrysalis is my favorite villain, so I might be a tiny bit biased...  ;))

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: August 27, 2018, 07:16:27 AM »
Not a G1 pony, but those full-sized Funko Queen Chrysalis prototypes looked like they probably would have been pretty rad. (Though Chrysalis is my favorite villain, so I might be a tiny bit biased...  ;))

ohhh, I've never seen this before.. she looks amazing. :( Whyyy didn't they make her..

Offline Ponyfan

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 30, 2018, 03:47:28 PM »
Wow, that Chrysalis is amazing. :)

I just remembered the Petite Pony wedding set prototype someone found pics of a few months ago.  I wish that set would have been made.

Ponyfan

Offline Strawberry Swirl

• Trade Count: (+40)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • #1 Rainbow Dash Kinnie
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: September 01, 2018, 02:02:18 AM »
Ever hear of Irresistibles? They used the same models as Dream Beauties, which if you know me you know I'm obsessed with those, so naturally I adore these as well. But they never made them! I don't understand!! (gross sobbing)

Also, NBBE Baby Shady (in my favorite baby pose no less!) and Baby Truly. So cute!
WishlistChecklistSalesPonysonaCommissions

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • Trade Count: (+131)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: September 01, 2018, 04:03:08 AM »

This is the only funko i wanted...

:: my etsy :: 3DS FC 1735-9876-4867 // SW-8381-5856-2018

Offline WingsOfMasquerade

• Trade Count: (+230)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: September 04, 2018, 09:22:16 PM »
Just a note for anyone who liked the Celestials in this thread:

You DO have a chance to have these. (or other prototypes that you like) With the Bridge Direct/Basic Fun. You need to write to them a physical letter (with a stamp) asking for what you want. Enclose a picture too, if you can. The Arena had a letter writing campaign for them a while ago, and then someone at a toyfair confirmed a positive result with the Celestials / Swirly ponies. Since the Bridge is working with Hasbro, there should be no limit to what they can make out of Hasbro's old MLP stuff. But YOU have to tell them!

Haven't written?
They're at

The Bridge Direct / Basic Fun
301 Yamato Rd.
Suite 2112
Boca Raton, FL 33431
USA

Wrote 'em?
You can write them again. It's really significant to hear from customers on actual paper about anything you would like them to do. Interacting/asking them for stuff here (like show that Blue Sprinkle...they made the parlor maybe they want the waterfall too?) or the alt pose TAFs and hammer on the Celestials more. They're not huge like Hasbro, so every letter counts and they care about getting responses.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal