collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Prototype ponies you wished made it in to mass production  (Read 31269 times)

Offline Sky_Rocket_Sammie

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • "Rules of the road Sammy"-Dean Winchester
    • View Profile
Re: Prototype ponies you wished made it in to mass production
« Reply #30 on: August 19, 2018, 07:12:24 PM »
Blue Sprinkles because blue is the perfect color for a water-related pony. I have that Iron Fist bag/purse and it is fantastic. So much retro shiny 80s goodness, back on topic my second choice would be Whizzer.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Avi by Gizmo & Sig by Moonbreeze

Offline flutterscotch

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+24)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 19, 2018, 07:30:01 PM »
Blue Sprinkles because blue is the perfect color for a water-related pony.

I agree. I was genuinely kind of disappointed when I opened the box on my 6th birthday and she was not blue (and kinda just looked like a lighter Firefly, who I already had, to me).  And I also didn't understand how prototypes worked. But then I got over it because the waterfall was an awesome playset!

Offline NightGliderSA

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 20, 2018, 02:11:52 AM »
Adding my +1s to unicorn Baby Truly, blue Sprinkles, golden-haired Twist, nbbe Baby Sundance with her trippy symbol, and the Fancy Swirls.

I would have much preferred the Birthday Pony in the Posey pose, and I wish we could have gotten the Flutter Hideaway. Also chipping in reverse-symboled Nightglider in the Sugarberry pose, even though I love her the way she is. I wish we had both!

If it's alright to toss G3s into the mix, I would have loved the winter carriage pony and the Toola Roola prototype. And I don't think they even count as prototypes, but the two Starcatcher-style pegasus ponies from the Friends Are Never Far Away storybook are gorgeous. *drool*

Hang on, reverse Night Glider in the Sugarberry pose? Anyone have a link to this? First time I hear of it and, naturally, I'm interested to see what she looks like  :)

Offline Mermaid

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 20, 2018, 02:22:17 AM »
I wish they had kept Regentropfens prototype symbol! It looks so much nicer with the sun on the right side of the cloud rather than below it, and with the rain drops being below the cloud like in your classic rain cloud drawing ): Nachtlicht was going to have four small stars rather than three big ones too.

Are there pictures of these two?!

It's floating somewhere on Pinterest, an advertisement for german rainbow ponies. Let me see can I find the direct link.
FOUND IT! http://glownshowpony.tumblr.com/post/109108799465/g1-my-little-pony-german-rainbow-pony-set/amp

Haishjalaonajgjkajsbak!!!!!! OMG I am seriously in LOVE with those prototypes! I’ve never seen that image before, and now I’m obsessed with that nightlight with the classic rainbow pony hair, and that star shine and raindrop with the 2nd release rainbow pony hair! Thank you for posting!
Thanks to calico star for my avatar!

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #34 on: August 20, 2018, 06:29:12 AM »
I wish they had kept Regentropfens prototype symbol! It looks so much nicer with the sun on the right side of the cloud rather than below it, and with the rain drops being below the cloud like in your classic rain cloud drawing ): Nachtlicht was going to have four small stars rather than three big ones too.

Are there pictures of these two?!

It's floating somewhere on Pinterest, an advertisement for german rainbow ponies. Let me see can I find the direct link.
FOUND IT! http://glownshowpony.tumblr.com/post/109108799465/g1-my-little-pony-german-rainbow-pony-set/amp

Haishjalaonajgjkajsbak!!!!!! OMG I am seriously in LOVE with those prototypes! I’ve never seen that image before, and now I’m obsessed with that nightlight with the classic rainbow pony hair, and that star shine and raindrop with the 2nd release rainbow pony hair! Thank you for posting!

Actually, it's been taken from my website. You can tell its the same image from the way the text is cut off at the bottom. The real direct link is below, in context.
http://www.etherella.com/scrapbook2/germany_rainbowponies.htm

I really have nothing to say about that without knowing how the tumblr owner came about it - but I won't say I'm particularly thrilled. I don't like watermarking pictures with tiny details on, but apparently I'm going to have to start doing so :/

The scan comes from a 1987 German pony booklet. This comes from the same booklet:
http://www.etherella.com/scrapbook2/germanbabybig.htm

Not that any of these are particularly significant, except that's definitely a UK baby Lemon Drop in there.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2018, 07:04:11 AM by Taffeta »
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline BlushingBlue

• Trade Count: (+29)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 20, 2018, 10:38:23 AM »
Adding my +1s to unicorn Baby Truly, blue Sprinkles, golden-haired Twist, nbbe Baby Sundance with her trippy symbol, and the Fancy Swirls.

I would have much preferred the Birthday Pony in the Posey pose, and I wish we could have gotten the Flutter Hideaway. Also chipping in reverse-symboled Nightglider in the Sugarberry pose, even though I love her the way she is. I wish we had both!

If it's alright to toss G3s into the mix, I would have loved the winter carriage pony and the Toola Roola prototype. And I don't think they even count as prototypes, but the two Starcatcher-style pegasus ponies from the Friends Are Never Far Away storybook are gorgeous. *drool*

Hang on, reverse Night Glider in the Sugarberry pose? Anyone have a link to this? First time I hear of it and, naturally, I'm interested to see what she looks like  :)

This is the Nightglider I meant:

I do prefer the Posey pose, but there's something striking about the white planets and purple stars like she has in her backcard art. (Bonnie Bonnets looks lovely with blue hats in the mix too.) I have to think that the revision to her final form came pretty late in production, since they didn't bother changing the packaging... or maybe they didn't think anyone would notice? ^.^

Offline Kikwifluff

• Trade Count: (+27)
  • Twinkle Eye Pony
  • Bait ponies need love too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 20, 2018, 01:57:37 PM »

I do prefer the Posey pose, but there's something striking about the white planets and purple stars like she has in her backcard art. (Bonnie Bonnets looks lovely with blue hats in the mix too.) I have to think that the revision to her final form came pretty late in production, since they didn't bother changing the packaging... or maybe they didn't think anyone would notice? ^.^

She’s beautiful! I’ve never seen that photo before, thank you for sharing!

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #37 on: August 20, 2018, 01:59:51 PM »
It took me a whole three minutes to realise that was Buttons, not Mimic.

I guess they originally thought about using the y5 poses. I have seen that picture before but only in poor quality. Lovely to see it in detail.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Safflower

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Whatever shall I put here? (she/her)
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 20, 2018, 02:28:13 PM »
Where is that picture from? It's awesome :)

。.:☆*:・~celestial ponies are best ponies~・:*☆:.
~thanks to the wonderful Griffin for my sig!~

Offline invaderhorizongreen

• Trade Count: (+130)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 20, 2018, 03:59:25 PM »
That is a fantastic picture, thanks for posting it.

Offline Mami Tomoe

• Colorswirl Pony
  • i love sprinkles
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 20, 2018, 04:52:40 PM »
Lilac pretty pony,original sitting pose,jointed sea pony
i love sprinkles
i also clean ponies so if you want a clean pony contact me

Offline tuneful87

• Shmexy Stallion
  • Trade Count: (+94)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 20, 2018, 07:23:39 PM »
Whoa- any backhistory on the Buttons/Bonnie/Glider photo?! Gah, I want all three!

Offline BlushingBlue

• Trade Count: (+29)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 20, 2018, 09:17:17 PM »
Glad I could share something interesting! :)

It took me a whole three minutes to realise that was Buttons, not Mimic.

I'm honestly so glad that Buttons isn't in that pose. Can you imagine all the poor Buttonses that would have been sacrificed to become DIY Mimics by over-enthusiastic customisers?

Where is that picture from? It's awesome :)
Whoa- any backhistory on the Buttons/Bonnie/Glider photo?! Gah, I want all three!

It's a picture of a very old Polaroid from the collection of the lovely and talented Ruth Bush. Way back when, before everyone had email, Slack, and a camera in their pocket, the quickest way for Hasbro's employees to communicate about their designs was to take Polaroids and physically send a picture to whomever needed it. (Sorry about the image quality, but I hope it's understandable why it can't be helped!)

You can just barely see Munchy out of frame in the lower right. I think she's in a different pose as well, but I can't be sure which it is. In contrast, the Big Brother ponies in the background seem ready for production, right down to their accessories, but maybe a male-pony expert can spot some subtle differences.

Speaking of Big Brothers, the pony that became Slugger was initially going to have a wagon symbol. I'm not a fan of baseball -- and how does a pony use a glove?! -- so I would have much preferred that. No picture of that one, though, I think he didn't even get past the spitballing stage of design!

Offline Baby Sugarberry

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 20, 2018, 10:15:36 PM »
Munchy(?) in the foreground right corner, I'd put my bet on she's in the Sugarberry pose like Nightglider.  Artwork looks like it's for two of the Big Brother brush/comb designs; so cute.
G1 Wishlist  It's the final countdown! Looking to purchase the last few G1's for my collection - Watercolor Baby Sea Ponies Foamy, Misty & Surfy - Red Roses - SHS Sweet Sundrop - Springy - Teeny Tiny Snookums (#2)

Offline NightGliderSA

• Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 21, 2018, 12:37:13 AM »

Wow, thank you for sharing! And I want her but SO badly now! Siiiggh...

However I am also really glad they changed the pose for Buttons: She is also one of my favourite ponies (in her current pose) and I just don't like that break-neck Mimic pose.

I wish we could see Munchy properly - and, does she look white to anyone else? Perhaps it is just the image quality of the Polaroid, but I think she would have been fun as a white pony. Or is that actually Sugarberry (Strawberry Fair)?

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal