collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: "ALL ABOUT" Symbol Removal  (Read 850 times)

Offline SparkleSkye

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Custom Bait Pony
  • I have anxiety pls be nice to me
    • View Profile
"ALL ABOUT" Symbol Removal
« on: July 26, 2018, 07:49:01 AM »
Acetone does nothing to the 'all about's ds murals. I can remove the eyes and the nds cutie mark with no problem, but the murals resist my attempts. Does anyone know how to remove that?
Sparkleworks and Autumn Skye are girlfriends

Offline RoseNoire

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Scribbles Pony
  • pony count : 243
    • View Profile
Re: "ALL ABOUT" Symbol Removal
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2018, 07:59:14 AM »
There was a thread about it a while before. I think they managed to remove it using stronger acetone or acetone-free nail polish remover. Note that I think it leaves a big white spot where the picture is supposed to be.
Rusty/frizzy pony restoration tutorial
Drink'n'wet pony restoration tutorial
G3 Twist and Style petal parlor thorough cleaning
My collection | My drawings
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
-> Made by Witchvisitors can't see pics , please register or login
-> Made by Starrynights

Offline Safflower

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Whatever shall I put here? (she/her)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2018, 08:08:03 AM »
Yes, there was a thread about removing all about symbols some time ago. The paint is different and thicker, so you have to soak the side in acetone IIRK? It messes up the texture of the plastic and you can't get it all off though...

。.:☆*:・~celestial ponies are best ponies~・:*☆:.
~thanks to the wonderful Griffin for my sig!~

Offline MidnightRarity

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Captain Jack Pony
  • G4 Collector!
    • View Profile
    • Midnight Rarity YT
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2018, 09:07:52 AM »
I’ve had to scratch the paint off with my nails..

It’s not the BEST method, but the only one that works  :huh:

Good luck!  :lol:
Hello! :D

Offline Sweet Daes

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Brush N Grow Pony
  • Glitter is my best friend.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2018, 09:34:11 AM »
Acetone does nothing to the 'all about's ds murals. I can remove the eyes and the nds cutie mark with no problem, but the murals resist my attempts. Does anyone know how to remove that?

This is the thread that they are talking about  :3
http://mlparena.com/index.php?topic=390709.0

Basically, to make the mural on the side they didn't use the same ink/paint as the cutiemark. It's painted over top of a white coat on the side of the pony that has been roughed up a bit for better adhesion.

Oh, and I forgot to mention:
Because of the chemicals/scraping that goes into removing the paint you are likely going to cause some surface damage to the vinyl underneath. I have yet to run into a G4 (or G4.5) that can withstand that kind of abuse, and it starts to break down the plastic where it leaves behind scrapes and rubs. That's part of why when it finally comes off it leaves the side looking matte.

Edit #3:
https://i.imgur.com/npju6Di.jpg?1
I tried it with Soarin with pure acetone, and it's not going well. The photo doesn't show it, but scraping it marred the surface of the vinyl- it looks terrible and painting it will not cover the flaw.

Acetone on G4.5 ponies has a worse result than G4 with the surface looking like it's starting to dissolve so I can't recommend any sort of long-term acetone soak on the All-About series.

Edit #4:
https://i.imgur.com/6Onj2LW.jpg
welp... You can have better luck preserving the body of the pony by soaking a cotton pad, hold it to the paint for a couple minutes, then let it dry a smidge. you should be able to scrape the paint off, almost like wipe it off with a course, dry cloth or paper towel with minimal force.

It's going to take patience- that small area took me about 20 minutes, and most of it has been trying to get the paint in around the hoof off and horsefeathers off. You can see the gloss of the body on that front leg versus the matte of the rear leg where I used my typical stripping technique. There is also now a gouge in that rear leg because of the scraping so it can't be stripped like previous generations of ponies.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2018, 10:33:28 AM by Sweet Daes »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal