collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: What manga are you reading?  (Read 91887 times)

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
Re: What manga are you reading?
« Reply #390 on: October 28, 2021, 08:04:33 AM »
I've never understood why Kodansha never went back in the reprintings and fixed the major errors.  My copies of the smaller volumes still have "Spark Ring Pressure" and "Princess Beryl" instead of Queen Beryl.

And then there are just mistakes. My favourite one is from Daiya, where the subber (this is CR) seems to have given up on the line, because the sub says, "what does he say?" What the character actually says is something like, "he held down the inning without conceding a run" or something on those lines, and it's pretty clearly audible even with the background noise. But I feel like that was a note for them to come back to it and they didn't and it accidentally got through.

The first time I watched that episode I thought I missed Eijun's line instead of Kanemaru's because I  was still having trouble distinguishing voices when characters spoke off screen. 

I've lost count how many times the CR subs switch the name order back and forth between Japanese order and Western order even though the characters are always using Japanese order (except the American team but that's a another issue.)

Ponyfan
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #391 on: October 28, 2021, 08:30:57 AM »
...Let's not talk about the American team. >.>.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: October 28, 2021, 09:42:27 AM »
I don't mind if translators use Japanese order or English order for names, just pick one and be consistent with it.

Kodansha never did fix those errors for the regular editions? Oh man, why?? I could understand if they were just tiny typos or nitpicky things, but...

I forgot about "Princess Beryl". Not sure how they managed THAT one, her name is completely in English to begin with...! "Spark Ring" I can see where they got that one from, the problem is that somehow no one caught in the QC stage.. but "Princess Beryl"... How...

edit: ooh, I did just find [this](http://missdream.org/editorials/sailor-moon-kodansha-release-vol-2-errors/), which suggests they were going for something along the lines of "Princess [Serenity], I am Queen Beryl.." etc etc... that'd make sense, but how in the heck did they end up botching it up into "Princess Beryl"? o.O
« Last Edit: October 28, 2021, 09:51:50 AM by Carrehz »

Offline tikibirds

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+104)
  • The more people I meet, the more I like my dog!
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: November 01, 2021, 12:28:02 PM »
I can't even remember what the last manga I read was. I think Noragami..?

Although I do occasionally check on "You own my all" Manhua.
Third Prince Jing Shao was victorious in war and always surrounded by countless beauties. However, he was wrongly framed and lost everything. Yet the only person who followed him was the unfavoured male concubine that he neglected for years…… After his reincarnation, Jing Shao decided to start afresh and chase after his male wife. Although it seems things will not go as planned, chasing a wife is harder than he thought!

It's based off the Chinese BL novel "The wife is First". It's actually a pretty good story but the manhua is  more PG, whereas the novel is less censored.

Follow me in Instagram - https://www.instagram.com/midnight_fox_fire/

Offline Ponyfan

• View Profile
« Reply #394 on: November 01, 2021, 01:32:51 PM »

Kodansha never did fix those errors for the regular editions? Oh man, why?? I could understand if they were just tiny typos or nitpicky things, but...

I forgot about "Princess Beryl". Not sure how they managed THAT one, her name is completely in English to begin with...! "Spark Ring" I can see where they got that one from, the problem is that somehow no one caught in the QC stage.. but "Princess Beryl"... How...

edit: ooh, I did just find [this](http://missdream.org/editorials/sailor-moon-kodansha-release-vol-2-errors/), which suggests they were going for something along the lines of "Princess [Serenity], I am Queen Beryl.." etc etc... that'd make sense, but how in the heck did they end up botching it up into "Princess Beryl"? o.O

That's really interesting.  I never thought about Queen Beryl addressing Princess Serenity and it changing somehow to Princess Beryl when it was translated.

I am so far behind on the manga I want to read. :(  I thought I'd be caught up on Takane and Hana by now since the final volume will be released in the US next month. 

Also ran in to a Daiya spoiler

Spoiler
Seidou won the game against Ichidai and is advancing to the finals

Ponyfan

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: November 01, 2021, 02:09:18 PM »
On the Daiya spoiler....

Spoiler
Yup.
That actually happened before Eijun losing the plot xD.
I am not up to date with the current manga as I'm too much of a coward to read the final. But there we are...

They'd better win this time -.-

|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Ponyfan

• View Profile
« Reply #396 on: November 03, 2021, 03:40:09 PM »
On the Daiya spoiler....

Spoiler
Yup.
I am not up to date with the current manga as I'm too much of a coward to read the final. But there we are...

Spoiler
I'm really happy Seidou made it to the finals.  I hope they win the final game. I will be devastated if Seidou loses again after everything that's happened since the last Summer Tournament.

Ponyfan

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: November 03, 2021, 04:06:30 PM »
On the Daiya spoiler....

Spoiler
Yup.

Spoiler
I'm really happy Seidou made it to the finals.  I hope they win the final game. I will be devastated if Seidou loses again after everything that's happened since the last Summer Tournament.

Ponyfan

Spoiler
Well, the game has started O.o. It's really now or never for the whole series tbh. If they don't win with this team then the whole manga kind of has no meaning...

I've been rereading Yona! I rewatched the series and started on the manga again today. I still get so sad reading

Spoiler
Taejun's awesomeness that comes immediately after the animation ends. I want people to appreciate Taejun more.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Ponyfan

• View Profile
« Reply #398 on: November 03, 2021, 07:23:42 PM »

Spoiler
Well, the game has started O.o. It's really now or never for the whole series tbh. If they don't win with this team then the whole manga kind of has no meaning...

I agree completely. 

I've been rereading Yona! I rewatched the series and started on the manga again today. I still get so sad reading

Spoiler
Taejun's awesomeness that comes immediately after the animation ends. I want people to appreciate Taejun more.

I watched the first episode in Japanese recently. :) 

Spoiler
It still gets to me how amazing Taejun really is. 

Ponyfan

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #399 on: November 04, 2021, 10:27:11 AM »
On Yona,

Spoiler
I just reread the volume after the Kai/Fire Tribe revolt where Suwon and Kyouga go to the village and see Taejun running around like a mad thing. It's both beautiful and hilarious and somehow it makes you feel so proud of the journey Taejun has been on from the spoiled guy laughing on the cliff face to this guy doing the laundry and caring for the sick villagers.

I'm amused also reading Zeno's dialogue in these chapters and how they have absolutely NO idea about him. Yet it's also kind of lovely that even though he doesn't appear to have any meaningful power or strength, they still include him and don't reject him.

I don't think I really have favourites among the dragons but there are moments when I think Zeno speaks to me a little bit extra. 

I also found vol 32 although I haven't read it properly yet, just skimmed it, since I'll read it properly in sequence with the others when I get there. There are some interesting things in it. I have many thoughts.

I also realised I had got 35 but not 36 and so I ordered that today along with the missing volume I have for Daiya Act II. 37 comes out around Christmas in Japanese. The English volumes are almost caught up O.O.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Ponyfan

• View Profile
« Reply #400 on: November 10, 2021, 09:49:25 AM »
On Yona,

Spoiler
I just reread the volume after the Kai/Fire Tribe revolt where Suwon and Kyouga go to the village and see Taejun running around like a mad thing. It's both beautiful and hilarious and somehow it makes you feel so proud of the journey Taejun has been on from the spoiled guy laughing on the cliff face to this guy doing the laundry and caring for the sick villagers.

I'm amused also reading Zeno's dialogue in these chapters and how they have absolutely NO idea about him. Yet it's also kind of lovely that even though he doesn't appear to have any meaningful power or strength, they still include him and don't reject him.

I don't think I really have favourites among the dragons but there are moments when I think Zeno speaks to me a little bit extra. 

I also found vol 32 although I haven't read it properly yet, just skimmed it, since I'll read it properly in sequence with the others when I get there. There are some interesting things in it. I have many thoughts.

I also realised I had got 35 but not 36 and so I ordered that today along with the missing volume I have for Daiya Act II. 37 comes out around Christmas in Japanese. The English volumes are almost caught up O.O.

You're making me want to reread 1-31. :D I still need to read 32. I keep hoping I'll be able to relax enough to sit down and read the story. 

Spoiler

Taejun has such character development. :D  I love how deep his character is and how he is willing to risk everything to help Yona. Also when he realizes how much the people of the Fire Tribe are suffering and  he starts helping them.

I also love that moment when Taejun is normal clothes so the villagers won't figure out who he really is and he meets Zeno who comments on the fact that Taejun is a noble.  Zeno's comments make a lot more sense once you find out that he was secretly following Yona but  until then you keep wondering how Zeno knows a lot of things that it seems like he shouldn't know.   

I love how the other dragons are willing to risk their lives to stop Zeno from suffering any longer than necessary after they find out he's immortal. 

Ponyfan
« Last Edit: November 10, 2021, 09:53:32 AM by Ponyfan »

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: November 10, 2021, 12:05:20 PM »
Dragon banter is king.

Spoiler
I wonder about Zeno in that sense too. He says he can't hear the voice of God any more, since he gained his dragon blood but...what if he has some innate knowledge of things still because of that blood running through his veins?

I am up to the Shin arc with princesses Kouran and Tao (I think their names are) and I slowed down. I realised I really don't like a lot of things in this arc. I think it's the dragons being separated from Yona and also the whole Gobi involvement. But also..I don't know, I just don't like it so much overall.

Definitely, reread it! That gives me more time to catch up ;)
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Ponyfan

• View Profile
« Reply #402 on: November 10, 2021, 03:45:31 PM »
No rush on 32. :D  33 comes out next month in the US and I might wait until I have both of them to catch up.

Spoiler
There's still many mysteries about Zeno. I wouldn't be surprised at all if the dragon's blood does give him that ability.  I keep wondering if he might have helped Iksu escape when Yuon executed all of the priests.

I completely agree with you about the Shin arc. It was hard for me to get through it the first time and there were a lot of things that I didn't like in it either.  I think Gobi and Kouran imprisoning the dragons and Yun are a large part of the reason I don't like it.  I did come to like Kouran more later on but I still can't stand Gobi. 

I don't like Yona being separated from the dragons (or Hak) either.  It always seems like really bad things happen when they're not together.

Just for fun I looked up the  English Daiya digital volumes (they're only published that way now and not in actual book form)  and they are at the Seidou vs Oya game.

Ponyfan

Offline Ponyfan

• View Profile
« Reply #403 on: November 11, 2021, 04:33:07 PM »

This is the manga section at Target.

Ponyfan

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #404 on: November 12, 2021, 01:00:28 AM »
So I got to rereading vol 29 of Yona, but since vol 29 annoys me a bit for reasons, I ended up skimming through the rest of the chapters I had on hand, with reading bits and pieces along the way. I'm going back to read it properly, but vol 36 came out of quarantine this morning so...

I'm not caught up exactly but I'm semi-caught up. And I'm afraid I still feel like someone needs to give Keishuk a good slap. I felt that right at the start and I still feel it 30+ volumes on.

Spoiler
The moment where he orders Jaeha and Zeno to be shot out of the sky really irks me. And then compounds it by ordering them to shoot at Zeno just to see if he dies. Grr.

Also

Spoiler
It's weird but it's very hard to hate against Suwon in this story, too.  I've given up trying.

Finally (and Ponyfan this is a spoiler for you too so read at risk)
Spoiler
There's a lot of chapters of flashback in these volumes, about Suwon and Yona's fathers and mothers, the priests, and other stuff. I'm not sure if it begins in 33 or 34 off hand but it's quite a lot of material.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2021, 01:03:45 AM by Taffeta »
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal