collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: What manga are you reading?  (Read 91741 times)

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
Re: What manga are you reading?
« Reply #225 on: August 12, 2019, 01:07:53 PM »

I love Yona of the Dawn. :) It's one of  my favorite series.

Ponyfan

I am so happy I corrupted broke influenced you!

@ Uni - Yona is awesome, and there's some slight reshuffling I think in the early manga to the series but it's pretty close. But as Ponyfan says the anime covers 1-8. I actually only have volumes from 8 onwards for this reason at the moment.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline KarentheUnicorn

• Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://karentheunicorn.tripod/legosnape.html
« Reply #226 on: August 12, 2019, 01:59:08 PM »

Ponyfan

@ Uni - Yona is awesome, and there's some slight reshuffling I think in the early manga to the series but it's pretty close. But as Ponyfan says the anime covers 1-8. I actually only have volumes from 8 onwards for this reason at the moment.

Great! That helps me know where the new stuff begins but I still wanna get them all and reread it but other books distracted me.

I really have enjoyed Sacrificial Princess and the King of Beasts - as it suggests it's got the beauty and beast vibe.

Probably doesn't own a stolen piece of the Taj Mahal.

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: August 12, 2019, 02:02:42 PM »
When I have some money to I intend on getting the first 7 to complete the set because I know there are some omake chapters but for now it's not a priority as the anime exists xD.

I should probably read Hero Academia since a new series is coming out and the students/school is entertaining. I wish I was more enthusiastic about the bad guys, though. I am not interested in any of them, even the revelations about Shigaraki in the end of what has been animated didn't interest me and the main bad guy villain also doesn't interest me.

..Big problem. I kind of wish whenever they appear that they hurry up and go away so we can get back to meaningful plot...and since that is the plot, it's thus far discouraged me.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: August 12, 2019, 02:42:49 PM »

Ponyfan

@Taffeta

Seeing one clip from the anime was all it took to get me hooked on Yona.  :)

I find it difficult to read manga out of sequence so read volumes 1-8  after I watched the anime. I'm actually caught up on the English translation (19 volumes)

Ponyfan

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: August 12, 2019, 02:45:25 PM »

Ponyfan

@Taffeta

Dragons are weaker than bugs ;) who knew xD.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline KarentheUnicorn

• Classifieds
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: August 12, 2019, 03:34:10 PM »
When I have some money to I intend on getting the first 7 to complete the set because I know there are some omake chapters but for now it's not a priority as the anime exists xD.

I should probably read Hero Academia since a new series is coming out and the students/school is entertaining. I wish I was more enthusiastic about the bad guys, though. I am not interested in any of them, even the revelations about Shigaraki in the end of what has been animated didn't interest me and the main bad guy villain also doesn't interest me.

..Big problem. I kind of wish whenever they appear that they hurry up and go away so we can get back to meaningful plot...and since that is the plot, it's thus far discouraged me.

I'm kinda over the whole high school dynamic in anime/manga. Don't get me wrong, I'll still read something if it's good but I think because I'm in my 40's now I feel like I just wanna see something different. And I think I have to have the combo of fantasy/romance/drama/action for me to like it. If it's just some fighting action...nada...if it's just standard girly superhero with tiny bit of romance...naa. Like I used to like Salor Moon, now I'm kinda meh, over it. I'm still into silly fantasy/love triangle manga drama so shoot me...but hay at some point you figure out you don't care and just wanna see angsty drawings argue, fight, misunderstand each other and then kiss and make out at some point.

AND whats up with these time travel manga where the girl goes back in time...no usually she dies tragically and goes back in time to end up in some tragic girls body of a family who hates her. But then ends up having 3-5 princes from the royal palace fall in love with her...LOL...how come I keep falling prey to this cheesery.

Post Merge: August 12, 2019, 03:38:28 PM

Yesssss, I cried...I will admit multiple times watching the anime. But heck, I just cried watching the latest fruits basket episode with the little tiger girl...I'm a big softy.

« Last Edit: August 12, 2019, 03:38:52 PM by KarentheUnicorn »

Offline Ponyfan

• View Profile
« Reply #231 on: August 12, 2019, 07:33:21 PM »

Ponyfan

@Taffeta

Dragons are weaker than bugs ;) who knew xD.

I don't think I'll ever forget that was my first experience with Yona. I just watched that clip again. It's still great. :D

Post Merge: August 12, 2019, 03:38:28 PM

Yesssss, I cried...I will admit multiple times watching the anime. But heck, I just cried watching the latest fruits basket episode with the little tiger girl...I'm a big softy.

The anime is brilliant and the manga is well written. Both of them really hook you and leave you wanting more. 

I love Fruits Basket too. :)

Ponyfan

« Last Edit: August 12, 2019, 07:41:25 PM by Ponyfan »

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: August 13, 2019, 06:57:26 AM »
@Uni - with school things it depends on the plot and the characters. I hated school so sometimes it's cathartic to watch others having a nightmare there too xD no, I'm kidding. But some stories I don't really care. Others are just insipid/beyond me and I probably am too old to enjoy them. I dunno.

As I go forward, I have collected a small group of favourites and when I think about it, some of them begin with a school connection but most of them don't stay there.

And Saiyuuki, which is one of my absolute favourites, is full of drinking and smoking, neither of which I do, so that's interesting. Also driving a car that's a dragon. Which I also don't do. Dragons are good though :D

Yona is awesome. The more it goes on the more I'm impressed with her writing, and her art, and the humour that runs through what is often a really brutal story. Right now though it's doing my head in a little bit because
Spoiler
Keishuk I have always thought of as the bad guy, and now he's the bad guy but not the bad guy? And I don't really know how to take this whole shift that's going on..?

Spoiler
I'm putting this in double triple spoiler tags to try and deflect Ponyfan's spoiler curiosity, but...
Spoiler
In the most recent battle, Keishuk's forces and those of Yona join up together to fight the invading enemy and win. Prior to this Keishuk was a jerk and had Jaeha and Zeno shot out of the sky, and obviously Jaeha got hurt, so that annoyed me. But now Keishuk is all like wanting to be buddy buddy with them and I don't realy get his motives. In any case, he's dragged them back to the palace...and the last chapter was full of really awkward scenes with the dragons and Suwon, Yona, Hak and Yun...and Keishuk...

I have no idea where she is going with this. I don't often have a series where I have no idea where the narrative is going, but this is one of them. This writer likes to throw plot curveballs, and can make you love a character you begin hating. It's exciting and scary because I don't trust Keishuk, and I don't trust Suwon, but obviously the dragons are only going to support Yona...so...

This is not going to end well. I can't see Hak forgiving Suwon. I can't see Yona forgetting her father was murdered. I feel like something is coming and I don't know what...

But I am not convinced that Keishuk is as bad as I thought he was now. He explained he was taken in and supported by Yuhon, which explains his loyalty to Suwon and to Yuhon's line...and turns the whole "killing Il" thing back on Suwon.

Ah, my brain is spinning ><

Uni, if you cried at the anime so far, you're gonna probably cry more with the manga. I'm sure Ponyfan will agree with me with certain sections xD.

Furuba's new animation is absolutely lovely. I'm so glad they decided to do it so many years on as it handles every character with so much more sensitivity and care than the original anime. And somehow the moralising ghost of Kyouko doesn't seem quite so obnoxiously there in this version. She seems more human.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Einhornbaby

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+124)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://einhornbaby.contract-killers.de
« Reply #233 on: August 13, 2019, 07:06:21 AM »
took a break from it but now im back on Attack on Titan (currently no 14).

Offline KarentheUnicorn

• Classifieds
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: August 13, 2019, 09:50:02 AM »

I don't know if I need spoiler warning but I'll do it anyway. But just so you know, I am not afraid of spoilers...yea I'm one of those nuts who doesn't whine about them.

Spoiler
are you talking a bad guy that suddenly has some kinda legitimate reason for looking like a jerkpants? ooooo...my favorite kinda badguy. Did his mom not hug him enough? (jokes)

Although at the moment I can't quite remember which guy Keishuk is? Is he the dark haired dude who follows around the Murder/BFF/LOVE/Emperor, SooWoo or Soyou (I know I'm butchering the names).

Sorry I'm so bad with the Japanese names. Hak and Yona is easy but seriously sometime I just end up screwing up the name in my head.
I don't even know in Takane and Hana, if I'm reading/saying Takane correctly. I think it in my head like Ta (Like TA-daaaa) and Kane (like a walking cane). But I watched a video online and a girl said it totally different so I'm just saying it like a good southern American would (haha)

Uni, if you cried at the anime so far, you're gonna probably cry more with the manga. I'm sure Ponyfan will agree with me with certain sections xD.

Like I said, I'm a big softy, fruits basic IS the worst. Stop making me curl into the fetal position and crying like a small child, evil evil anime.

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: August 13, 2019, 10:12:52 AM »

I don't know if I need spoiler warning but I'll do it anyway. But just so you know, I am not afraid of spoilers...yea I'm one of those nuts who doesn't whine about them.

Spoiler
are you talking a bad guy that suddenly has some kinda legitimate reason for looking like a jerkpants? ooooo...my favorite kinda badguy. Did his mom not hug him enough? (jokes)

Haha xD I dunno, it's not that explicit. But yeah, that's the guy :)

Takane would be Ta as in tap, ka as in cap, ne as in neck. Ta-ka-ne. Japanese is a very staccato language and every syllable is sounded and has basically the same length unless indicated with a macron or double vowel.

The names in Yona are mostly derived from Korean so you get Japanified Korean stuff going on. I write them as the manga does, kind of, but there are other more official spellings for some of them I think. Like some people write Yun as Yun, some as Yoon, and Sinha as Sin-ah, and so on.

|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Ponyfan

• View Profile
« Reply #236 on: August 13, 2019, 10:52:00 AM »
@Uni - with school things it depends on the plot and the characters. I hated school so sometimes it's cathartic to watch others having a nightmare there too xD no, I'm kidding. But some stories I don't really care. Others are just insipid/beyond me and I probably am too old to enjoy them. I dunno.

As I go forward, I have collected a small group of favourites and when I think about it, some of them begin with a school connection but most of them don't stay there.

And Saiyuuki, which is one of my absolute favourites, is full of drinking and smoking, neither of which I do, so that's interesting. Also driving a car that's a dragon. Which I also don't do. Dragons are good though :D

Yona is awesome. The more it goes on the more I'm impressed with her writing, and her art, and the humour that runs through what is often a really brutal story. Right now though it's doing my head in a little bit because
Spoiler
Keishuk I have always thought of as the bad guy, and now he's the bad guy but not the bad guy? And I don't really know how to take this whole shift that's going on..?

Spoiler
I'm putting this in double triple spoiler tags to try and deflect Ponyfan's spoiler curiosity, but...
Spoiler
In the most recent battle, Keishuk's forces and those of Yona join up together to fight the invading enemy and win. Prior to this Keishuk was a jerk and had Jaeha and Zeno shot out of the sky, and obviously Jaeha got hurt, so that annoyed me. But now Keishuk is all like wanting to be buddy buddy with them and I don't realy get his motives. In any case, he's dragged them back to the palace...and the last chapter was full of really awkward scenes with the dragons and Suwon, Yona, Hak and Yun...and Keishuk...

I have no idea where she is going with this. I don't often have a series where I have no idea where the narrative is going, but this is one of them. This writer likes to throw plot curveballs, and can make you love a character you begin hating. It's exciting and scary because I don't trust Keishuk, and I don't trust Suwon, but obviously the dragons are only going to support Yona...so...

This is not going to end well. I can't see Hak forgiving Suwon. I can't see Yona forgetting her father was murdered. I feel like something is coming and I don't know what...

But I am not convinced that Keishuk is as bad as I thought he was now. He explained he was taken in and supported by Yuhon, which explains his loyalty to Suwon and to Yuhon's line...and turns the whole "killing Il" thing back on Suwon.

Furuba's new animation is absolutely lovely. I'm so glad they decided to do it so many years on as it handles every character with so much more sensitivity and care than the original anime. And somehow the moralising ghost of Kyouko doesn't seem quite so obnoxiously there in this version. She seems more human.

I completely agree with Taffeta. :) There are many details and scenes that aren't in the anime in the manga and certain sections will leave a lasting impression. Yona makes my brain spin too. :dizzy:

Spoiler

Haha xD I dunno, it's not that explicit. But yeah, that's the guy :)

Takane would be Ta as in tap, ka as in cap, ne as in neck. Ta-ka-ne. Japanese is a very staccato language and every syllable is sounded and has basically the same length unless indicated with a macron or double vowel.

The names in Yona are mostly derived from Korean so you get Japanified Korean stuff going on. I write them as the manga does, kind of, but there are other more official spellings for some of them I think. Like some people write Yun as Yun, some as Yoon, and Sinha as Sin-ah, and so on.

This is exactly why I had trouble spelling some of the character names at first because different sources have them spelled differently. The English translation  hyphenates most of the 2 syllable names. So Suwon is written as Su-won and Iksu  as Ik-su but Sinha and Jaeha aren't hyphenated. 

I love Fruits Basket.  :lovey: I've still only been able to see the 1st episode of the new series since I don't have a Funimation or Crunchy Roll subscription but I really want to see it.

Ponyfan
« Last Edit: August 13, 2019, 11:03:11 AM by Ponyfan »

Offline KarentheUnicorn

• Classifieds
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: August 13, 2019, 01:49:30 PM »
now I have to retrain my brain to say Takane the correct way...Ta Ka Neee....Ta Ka Neeee. Wait, is it Neeee or Neh?

The only way I could fix this is to try to set the correct way to a song...

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: August 13, 2019, 01:51:45 PM »
now I have to retrain my brain to say Takane the correct way...Ta Ka Neee....Ta Ka Neeee. Wait, is it Neeee or Neh?

The only way I could fix this is to try to set the correct way to a song...

The second. Ne as if you were going to say neck, but not the end ck sound. Sing it around your workplace a bit. See if it brings in new custom. You may have a new jingle! :)

It's a quite nice rhythmic language. There are a lot of words that are satisfying to say because of that :)
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Ponyfan

• View Profile
« Reply #239 on: August 15, 2019, 11:53:15 AM »
I've been thinking about my favorite manga series and there are some that feature high school age characters but being in school is not the main focus of the plot like Fruits Basket.

Ponyfan

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal