collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: What manga are you reading?  (Read 91873 times)

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • Trade Count: (+131)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
Re: What manga are you reading?
« Reply #210 on: July 19, 2019, 06:16:45 AM »
I haven't had time to read anything..

but I'm super excited. My dad is building me a shelf that tucks in the corner part of my closet. It should fit all of my manga.

If I haven't said in the past, I'm so happy that Urusei Yatsura is coming out again. <3 And now I have all of KOR. I've waited practically all my life for this, I feel...

I may be wrong but isn't Urusai Yatsura pretty old? Is it a kind of anniversary reissue or a continuation or...?

It's Takahashi Rumiko, right?

Yes.
Urusei Yastura was around in the 70s~90s. Lum in particular is very iconic. And in Japan she gets merch all the time.

However what I was referring to was just the manga series. The Japanese original release was 38? books (and did have other incarnations), and the US only got 9. They were released back in the 90s-- before Sailor Moon hit shelves and the US got a wave of manga and VIZ changed their gears to more popular things. (Ranma squeeked by tho because it was newer... )
« Last Edit: July 19, 2019, 06:19:04 AM by banditpony »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

:: my etsy :: 3DS FC 1735-9876-4867 // SW-8381-5856-2018

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #211 on: July 19, 2019, 06:23:37 AM »
Ahh I see. So basically you didn't get all the manga you should have because licencing and reasons?

That makes sense.

I'm familiar with Takahashi but more for Inuyasha than anything. I did see the drama series of One Pound Gospel which was bizarrely cute but I don't know how true it is to the manga. I don't think I've ever read any of her work in the actual manga except bits of Inuyasha years ago in English - but I agree that her characters are quite iconic.

Someone at the Japanese event the other week cosplayed as one of the characters from Ranma 1/2.

I hope that the new manga release means you get the whole lot this time.

This is more anime than manga but I remember when one of the anime companies went bust, Season 2 of Saiunkoku Monogatari and 3 of Kyou Kara Maou kind of disappeared into the abyss. I think Saiunkoku eventually got released, I'm not sure about KKM. I saw it in Japanese, I don't know if it had a proper release in the US but I don't think it had one in the UK.

I think the novels from both are still not in English either. I have most of the Saiunkoku ones and the sequel ones but sitting down to read them when I've had to read pages of academic Japanese isn't really on my to do list so I admit if they were in English I might buckle :/ I think I've read to about #9 and there's about 22 or something that go on way beyond the anime and I'm just flicking through them looking at the pictures going...yeah, will read these one day...
Shameful admission is shameful...
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • Trade Count: (+131)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: July 19, 2019, 06:31:39 AM »
Ahh I see. So basically you didn't get all the manga you should have because licencing and reasons?

They never lost their license.. it was just because VIZ went to focus on more popular things. Like Naruto.

It made sense businesswise.

ETA:
Has anyone read Card Captor: Clear Card?

I'm wondering if I should make space for it on my shelves.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2019, 06:53:51 AM by banditpony »

:: my etsy :: 3DS FC 1735-9876-4867 // SW-8381-5856-2018

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: July 19, 2019, 12:21:54 PM »
A manga I really enjoyed that I don't see mentioned much is Honey So Sweet  It's only 8 volumes long. I think it's a romance manga.

I've looked at Card Captor but haven't bought any of the volumes yet.

Ponyfan

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Offline Ponyfan

• View Profile
« Reply #214 on: July 29, 2019, 02:48:47 PM »
I'm still reading Yona of the Dawn. Yona is so well written that I keep wanting to find out what happens next.  :)

I think I will pick up Komi Can’t Communicate too.

Ponyfan
« Last Edit: July 29, 2019, 03:20:54 PM by Ponyfan »

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: July 30, 2019, 01:03:51 AM »
I'm still reading Yona of the Dawn. Yona is so well written that I keep wanting to find out what happens next.  :)

Ponyfan

It so is. Though
Spoiler
figuring out what exactly Keishuk is up to is doing my head in right now.

Also keeping up with DnA (except right now the manga is boring because it's all focused on other characters that I don't care much about) and debating whether to read Boku no Hero Academia.

My Koruda manga is at home else I might reread some of that...I still need to find the Haruka 6 volumes somewhere in my room at home and finally read them.

|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Ponyfan

• View Profile
« Reply #216 on: July 30, 2019, 06:04:22 AM »

Ponyfan

It so is. Though
Spoiler

Spoiler

I know what you mean. I feel the same way when Suwon or one of his supporters does something I didn't see coming. :dizzy: It also happens when I'm trying to figure out Zeno  :)

Ponyfan

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: July 30, 2019, 06:08:31 AM »

Ponyfan

It so is. Though
Spoiler

Spoiler

I know what you mean. I feel the same way when Suwon or one of his supporters does something I didn't see coming. :dizzy: It also happens when I'm trying to figure out Zeno  :)

Ponyfan

You will know all you need to know about the li'l goldie in a couple of volumes though ;)

Edit to add -  minor rant, but seven straight weeks of DnA chapters focused on Yakushi/Sankou is annoying. And obviously more to come. The mangaka likes Yakushi way too much...
« Last Edit: August 02, 2019, 07:45:34 AM by Taffeta »
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Ponyfan

• View Profile
« Reply #218 on: August 06, 2019, 11:09:10 AM »
Viz released several new titles today including a new volume of Takane & Hana and Yona of the Dawn 19.

@Taffeta

Spoiler
I took a look at Yona 19 and I think I'm going to have lots of questions.  ;)

Ponyfan

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: August 06, 2019, 11:12:51 AM »
Viz released several new titles today including a new volume of Takane & Hana and Yona of the Dawn 19.

@Taffeta

Spoiler
I took a look at Yona 19 and I think I'm going to have lots of questions.  ;)

Ponyfan

O.o xD.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Thimble

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: August 09, 2019, 10:03:28 AM »

ETA:
Has anyone read Card Captor: Clear Card?

I'm wondering if I should make space for it on my shelves.

I'm eagerly awaiting the next book. It's a direct continuation, and the style is just as cute, just as fluffy and beautiful. (Also, obvious 'mysteries' remain obvious, but it's intended for kids, so eh.) I'd say yeah, if you loved the original, go for it.

Offline KarentheUnicorn

• Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://karentheunicorn.tripod/legosnape.html
« Reply #221 on: August 11, 2019, 06:35:41 PM »
Ah, yes, me again. Just like anime I've gotten into Manga lately. I do like to have the actual book, however there seem to be a lot that probably never get translated into engish, as I've looked at a few sites online and see that there are tons I've never seen in stores. So I've been doing some reading with my ipad due to I'll probably never get a chance since they'll probably never been turned into book format or at least not english other than folks doing it online, etc.

The actual book series I'm into right now are as followed. Some I'm caught up, some I'm only starting, etc. but these are series I've bought more than one vol. in so far.
1. Black Butler
2. Takane & Hana
3. The Water Dragons Bride
4. Sacrificial Princess and the King of Beasts
5. kamisama kiss
6. The Demon Prince of Momochi House
7. Yona of the Dawn

Post Merge: August 11, 2019, 06:45:30 PM

I'm thinking about starting Takane & Hana soon. 

Ponyfan

YEs...YEsssss...do it and let me know what you think.

I know it's kinda sketchy because of the age difference between the two main characters but it's actually well written and Takane isn't some evil older guy that's just creepy for a younger girl...it's actually pretty adorable that I laugh out loud when reading some of the stuff that happens. Even going so far as to cry over the two characters and at one point I totally wanted to murder Takane's grandfather (LOL). Plus I don't know if 10 years is a completely horrible age difference considering I have an uncle married to someone 12 years younger than him :p and hell a former best friend who married someone with an even bigger age gap.

With Takane and Hana I'd almost consider them the same age in some instances as Takane seems so weirdly innocent and sheltered that the teenager is much cleverer than him in dealing with certain situations.

But I really love this series, I'm caught up right now as I ordered the last copy off amazon and blew threw it as soon as I got it. So now I'm like...dangit come on Vol#11.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2019, 06:45:30 PM by KarentheUnicorn »
Probably doesn't own a stolen piece of the Taj Mahal.

Offline Ponyfan

• View Profile
« Reply #222 on: August 12, 2019, 12:27:49 PM »
Thanks Karentheunicorn .  :) I haven't started Takane & Hana yet but will post my thoughts when I start. I bought volume 10 as soon as it came out too. My bookstore hasn't restocked volume 9 yet. so I am still missing that one.

I love Yona of the Dawn. :) It's one of  my favorite series.

Ponyfan

Offline KarentheUnicorn

• Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://karentheunicorn.tripod/legosnape.html
« Reply #223 on: August 12, 2019, 12:49:47 PM »
Thanks Karentheunicorn .  :) I haven't started Takane & Hana yet but will post my thoughts when I start. I bought volume 10 as soon as it came out too. My bookstore hasn't restocked volume 9 yet. so I am still missing that one.

Ponyfan

I'm actually going to reread the whole series of Takane and Hanna again, just cause. I'm all caught up on most of the others I read. Black Butler I've caught up online but I still like to have the books once they come out in english.

I watched the Yona anime online so I'm kinda behind on reading the manga, simply because what I've read so far is sorta a recap of what I've watched. I think I have up to vol. 5 right now but have only read the first 3 at the moment.

Oh, on another question where does everyone read manga online? I've been to a couple of sites but I don't know which are the best and some out there seem free or at least some seem to have a lot of manga that I've never seen in the store so as I said before I'm wondering if it's just some that are probably never going to get printed in english so people are translate them online and posting them? Since I'm kinda new to the whole manga thing I'm confused on what is really up with some of these comics/manga. Some sites I see have a few chapters and, I was reading one that said they had to stop since the manga got licensed? So I'm really confused over the whole manga online stuff and what is legit. Some of the translations seem kinda funny on some I read and make me LOL.
Probably doesn't own a stolen piece of the Taj Mahal.

Offline Ponyfan

• View Profile
« Reply #224 on: August 12, 2019, 12:57:42 PM »

Ponyfan

I'm actually going to reread the whole series of Takane and Hanna again, just cause. I'm all caught up on most of the others I read. Black Butler I've caught up online but I still like to have the books once they come out in english.

I watched the Yona anime online so I'm kinda behind on reading the manga, simply because what I've read so far is sorta a recap of what I've watched. I think I have up to vol. 5 right now but have only read the first 3 at the moment.

I also watched the Yona anime first before I started reading the manga. The anime covers volumes 1-8 of the manga.

Ponyfan

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal