collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: What manga are you reading?  (Read 90673 times)

Online lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
Re: What manga are you reading?
« Reply #90 on: June 22, 2018, 03:00:37 PM »
Guess what, today I found a manga at the thrift store.  LONG out of print.... HyperDolls Vol 1 by Shimpei Itoh!

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAY  It was published by Studio Ironcat in 2000 so I am pleasantly excited to have found it.
The Bad Trader List
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline Haruna

• Ninja Pony
  • Trade Count: (+64)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Many thanks to Nence for my beautiful avatar!
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: June 24, 2018, 07:43:24 PM »
I looked through the manga section of Barnes and Noble today to see if anything really caught my eye but there are so many series it's a little overwhelming for me to try to figure out what a good next series would be for me.

I did look at a few but left with no new manga.  The ones I looked at today or am considering picking up.

My Love Story

Codename Sailor V

Sailor Moon 6

In This Corner of the World
I've been meaning to watch In This Corner of the World; I got the DVD as a gift and it looks really good. I haven't read the manga you mentioned (including Twinkle Star), but I've seen some of their animes. I've seen most of Sailor Moon and I can say that my sister really likes it; I don't personally like Serena/Usagi's personality, so that pretty much ruins the series for me, lol. Her friends -- Rei and Makoto esp. for me -- are likeable, though, and the series is a classic. To be fair, I watched the English dub for the most part, and they changed the storyline in some ways, so the manga might be better than I think.

The anime of My Love Story was cute and funny; interestingly, although the manga is technically about Takeo's love story with Yamato, in some ways it's more of a slice-of-life manga and focuses very much on his platonic male relationship with his best friend Sunakawa. The anime was a little slow, but the manga is probably worth a try. It's written (though not drawn) by one of my favorite mangaka, Kazune Kawahara.

Speaking of which, she writes a series I can recommend: High School Debut. It's a romantic comedy about a tomboy who is so clueless about trying to get a boyfriend that she ends up enlisting the help of a girl-hating bishounen who becomes her dating coach. It's really funny and often sweet, although the plot loses some steam as the series goes on.

Another recommendation is a newer, ongoing manga, Takane & Hana. This one's hard to describe but I love it. Hana goes to an arranged marriage meeting in place of her older sister and meets the prospective husband -- a rich, handsome, apparently stuck-up heir to a company. Of course, since this is a manga, the marriage meeting ends in a terrific disaster, but to Hana's surprise the dude takes an interest in her and starts to date her for real, or try to. Most of the humor in this series comes from her mercilessly teasing him and it's hilarious. XD

Guess what, today I found a manga at the thrift store.  LONG out of print.... HyperDolls Vol 1 by Shimpei Itoh!
Awesome, manga at a thrift store! What's Hyper Dolls about? A quick Google search tells me the main characters are alien androids? (par for the course for manga, ha ha!)

Online Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: July 07, 2018, 11:18:41 AM »
Thanks Haruna. I'll be checking out High School Debut and Taknae & Hana :)

Ponyfan

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Offline CactusBloom

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Prom Queen Sweetheart Sister Pony
  • Formerly leafcascade
    • View Profile
    • My Pony Blog - rileyspones
« Reply #93 on: July 14, 2018, 09:13:38 PM »
I don't read much manga anymore, but right now I'm rereading the Pokémon Adventures manga! I'm on the second one where Red meets Green.

Formerly known as leafcascade
Hope you have a wonderful day!

Offline Lady Frostbite

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
  • Absolutely Abbeylicious!
    • View Profile

Signature image artwork done by the talented Starscout!
MLP Gameloft game friend code : 29c831

Online Ponyfan

• View Profile
« Reply #95 on: August 06, 2018, 02:32:29 PM »
I think I’ll be starting the Your Name manga soon. :)

Ponyfan

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: August 07, 2018, 01:05:31 PM »
Picked up Fruits Basket Another vol 1 the other day :) I LOVED Fruits Basket, I totally forgot that it was getting a sequel! I'm excited to start reading, just can't decide if I should reread Furuba first or not :P

Offline CactusBloom

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Prom Queen Sweetheart Sister Pony
  • Formerly leafcascade
    • View Profile
    • My Pony Blog - rileyspones
« Reply #97 on: August 07, 2018, 08:52:15 PM »
Picked up Fruits Basket Another vol 1 the other day :) I LOVED Fruits Basket, I totally forgot that it was getting a sequel! I'm excited to start reading, just can't decide if I should reread Furuba first or not :P

I never read the Fruits Basket manga, but the anime is one of my favorites. Do you recommend reading the manga or is the series really long?
Formerly known as leafcascade
Hope you have a wonderful day!

Online Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #98 on: August 08, 2018, 09:29:59 AM »
Furuba isn't really a complete story in the anime. I love the anime too, but the manga completes the whole story so :/

I didn't know there was more stuff going on with that series. Interesting to know :D Although I am not sure how it would work, given that...(major plot spoiler)
Spoiler
The curse is broken at the end of the manga, meaning no more animal henshin?

« Last Edit: August 08, 2018, 09:32:03 AM by Taffeta »
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: August 09, 2018, 10:58:55 AM »

I never read the Fruits Basket manga, but the anime is one of my favorites. Do you recommend reading the manga or is the series really long?

I definitely recommend the manga! I've never gotten round to watching the anime (been meaning to for ages - I did watch a couple of eps but couldn't quite get into it, but I would like to get back to it one day..) but from what I've heard, the anime ended halfway through the manga's story? The manga has a really nice ending. It's kinda long, but not hundreds of volumes long or anything. I'd definitely recommend it ^_^

Offline Ivaness

• Henry the 8th's Missing Wife
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • The Most Happy
    • View Profile
    • FB
« Reply #100 on: August 09, 2018, 11:46:55 AM »
I've been wanting to get the Ancient Magus's Bride manga! I binged the anime and loved it. Right now, I'm reading a webtoon called Lore Olympus.

Avatar by: KissTheThunder Signature By: Nence
Silver Shy Ref Autine Ref

Online Ponyfan

• View Profile
« Reply #101 on: August 09, 2018, 02:43:48 PM »
I picked up Vol 1 of Your Name today. The bookstore I buy manga at didn't have High School Debut. I was going to check out Takane & Hana but the manga section was crowded today.

Ponyfan

Online Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #102 on: August 09, 2018, 04:44:09 PM »

I definitely recommend the manga! I've never gotten round to watching the anime (been meaning to for ages - I did watch a couple of eps but couldn't quite get into it, but I would like to get back to it one day..) but from what I've heard, the anime ended halfway through the manga's story? The manga has a really nice ending. It's kinda long, but not hundreds of volumes long or anything. I'd definitely recommend it ^_^

Yeah, it does end in the middle. I always think it's a shade misleading actually...
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Online Ponyfan

• View Profile
« Reply #103 on: August 10, 2018, 02:19:50 PM »
I finished the first volume of Your Name. It ends after Taki’s date with Miss Okudera.

Ponyfan

Offline Ribbs

• Trade Count: (+54)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • My music
« Reply #104 on: August 11, 2018, 05:48:32 AM »
Just started the original Pokemon Adventures again, but I'm usually more of a magical-girl type of guy. ;)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal