Pony Talk > Off Topic

What manga are you reading?

<< < (2/136) > >>

True:
I tend to like the dark/horror/gore type mangas xD
I am currently reading Tokyo Ghoul!
It's actually the first manga I've started collecting, previously I just checked things out from the library. :p

Taffeta:
I haven't read manga in ages, because it's a hassle getting it in Japanese and I don't have the space to store it. The last manga I read was Kakumei no hi after it came up in an academic talk at my university, but otherwise I really haven't for a long time.

I used to read and translate Bleach manga for a community but that manga ended up such a train wreck that I haven't been back to it in a long time.

I was reading Harukanaru Toki no Naka De 5 but then it got dropped and I haven't begun on Haruka 6 yet because really I would rather read Haruka 5 manga. :/

So now I'm really just left with my manga kids' history books that I brought back from Japan which relate to my research. Kind of depressing really. I do love manga. I just have no space.

Furuba (Fruits Basket) was one of the first manga I read, ten years or so ago? For some reason I have some volumes in English, some in French and some in Japanese.

Oh, I know a manga I will be reading/would be reading if the mangaka recovers and gets back to writing it. Saiyuuki. Saiyuuki Reload Blast, to be accurate. I love Saiyuuki, <3. But its poor creator is ill so often that it's constantly on hiatus.

Lady Frostbite:
Oh, man! Here is where I declare myself fujoshi trash again  :biggrin: I usually read things that fall into the yaoi umbrella, but do branch out sometimes. My current reading list of active manga are :

* Kiss Him, Not Me! by Junko
* World’s Greatest First Love by Shungiki Nakamura
* Love Stage!! by Eiki Eiki and Taishi Zaou
* Ten Count by Rihito Takarai
* Kurashina-Sensei’s Passion by Natsuho Shino
* Loveless by Yun Kouga (I THINK, I heard Vol.13 was released in Japan but who knows by this point?)
* (Pre-Order) High School life of a Fudanshi by Michinoku Atami
* Awkward Silence by Hinako Takanaga (Vol.6 will be the last  :cry: )
* The Tyrant Falls In Love by Hinako Takanaga (there's one more volume to come about the side couple)
* Viewfinder series by Ayano Yamane
* Crimson Spell by Ayano Yamane
I have Don't be Cruel but haven't settled to read it properly. I recently got Haikyuu! but again it's sitting on my pile waiting to be read. Most of my collection is sadly in storage ... Sooooooo many titles that are finished (or stopped) that I need to give a proper read through.

Haruna:
It makes me happy to see other people read manga ^.^ I don't know many people IRL who do! It's such a beautiful storytelling form.

@Taffeta, I think it's awesome that you can actually translate the manga, too. I know one Japanese character, the hiragana one they use for "no," since it's so distinctive. Yay me :) I feel proud whenever I can find it, lol.

Taffeta:

--- Quote from: Haruna on July 08, 2017, 07:26:17 AM ---

@Taffeta, I think it's awesome that you can actually translate the manga, too. I know one Japanese character, the hiragana one they use for "no," since it's so distinctive. Yay me :) I feel proud whenever I can find it, lol.

--- End quote ---

You mean this one の? It is cute :D
I also like the 'a', because you can do silly faces with it like : あ。あ

...ahem, just destroyed your image of me as a translator >.>

I got roped into doing it basically because the fan scanlations of Bleach were being done  by a group who were simply rewriting bits and I was in a community of people who wanted to analyse every actual detail, not read a ton of swear words added in to juice up the fights. Bleach is/was a manga full of tons of easter egg type symbolism and clues to old Japan and stuff hidden underneath all the typical fight scenes, and so people wanted to know the specifics so they could discuss what those things meant and what they foreshadowed. Unfortunately the final arc, though still full of those things, no longer foreshadowed anything because it was a rushed finish that didn't answer most of the outstanding issues and killed off a character in a way that actually contradicts itself. That happened to be my favourite character, so yeah, I lost interest in the manga...

But yeah, translating manga is actually fun because it's not translating great blocks of text, just dialogue, so it doesn't take that long and is a bit of a brain break. And it is sometimes written in regional dialect or slang, but not in 500 year old Japanese grammar or stiff academic modern Japanese, which is what I mostly deal with for my PhD work -.-. So from that point of view I miss doing it :/. I do miss Bleach, but I miss it how it was, not how it ended up :/. It's literally the only globally super-mainstream shounen manga I have ever been a fan of, but the last arc ruined it. Sad times :/.

Japanese character babble in spoiler tags.

Spoiler木 林 森
These are the only Japanese characters my mother can get her head around. The first one is tree (ki).
The second one is copse (hayashi)
The third one is forest (mori)
The bigger the gathering of trees, the more trees in the character :D I wish all kanji were that logical -.-.

I taught my support advisor at university the horse kanji because she had to see my work so much (which relates to horses and representation of warriors). It's meant to be a horse turning it's head back. I dunno if I see it...

My personal pet character though is the one for dream, because it looks like someone asleep in bed...

I love manga, but from the manga/anime I've seen that talks about manga creation, I think it would be a really sucky job. So many mangaka end up ill with stress and overwork because of the deadlines.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version