collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: What manga are you reading?  (Read 90650 times)

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
Re: What manga are you reading?
« Reply #420 on: December 28, 2021, 07:23:27 PM »
I read Yona 33 today.  I have just as many things to say about it as I have about 32.

Spoiler

There are a lot of twists and turns that I wasn't expecting.

Ponyfan
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Online Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #421 on: January 20, 2022, 04:08:39 PM »
I made the mistake of checking in with the Daiya manga.
Yep, definitely should not read Daiya while this game is ongoing.

|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Ponyfan

• View Profile
« Reply #422 on: January 21, 2022, 06:25:56 AM »
I made the mistake of checking in with the Daiya manga.
Yep, definitely should not read Daiya while this game is ongoing.

I won't ask what happened but I'm assuming from what you said things aren't going well for Seidou right now. 

Yona 34 will be out soon in the US. :D  Fly Me to the Moon 3 has been reprinted but my local bookstore doesn't have it in stock.   

I have a lot manga I want to read/catch up on but I'm not sure where to start.  :what:

Ponyfan

Online Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #423 on: January 21, 2022, 09:37:52 AM »
It's the usual way the author has of building up the tension and racking up the stakes, let's put it that way...
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Ponyfan

• View Profile
« Reply #424 on: February 02, 2022, 03:33:00 PM »
I picked up Yona 43, Way of the Househusband 7 and A Man and his Cat 5 yesterday.

Ponyfan

Online Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #425 on: February 03, 2022, 10:54:30 AM »
I very much hope you mean Yona 34 xD. Else you're living in the future O.O.

I've been swamped by academic stuff, so I haven't read anything recently :(
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Ponyfan

• View Profile
« Reply #426 on: February 04, 2022, 06:25:31 AM »
I very much hope you mean Yona 34 xD. Else you're living in the future O.O.

I've been swamped by academic stuff, so I haven't read anything recently :(

*steps out of time machine*  :lol:

I meant 34 and not 43. :blush:  I haven't had a chance to read anything lately either.  I did take a quick glance through 34 and it looks like the flashback that started in 33 goes through most of the book.

Ponyfan

Online Shaiyeh

• Staff
  • Trade Count: (+78)
    • View Profile
    • Watch my Youtube!
« Reply #427 on: February 08, 2022, 03:08:56 AM »
 :shy:
Hi peeps :) I've recently gotten back into manga after a ... lot of years x) I'm SO out of the loop, there are so many new things to check out! O:

I'm currently reading A Sign Of Affection (so cute!) - halfway through 1st book, have ordered 2-4 XD
Also reading Toilet-Bound Hanako-Kun. I'm on book 6. This one I'm reading online, it seems difficult to get ahold of the books where I live >-< absolutely obsessed with the artstyle.

So now I'm looking to finish the series I started buying/reading before I dropped the manga-ing, while also finding lots of new series. Little bit overwhelmed, not gonna lie!

Thanks izard for my super cute ava and Starscout for my wonderful siggie!

Offline Ponyfan

• View Profile
« Reply #428 on: February 08, 2022, 12:42:06 PM »
I get overwhelmed by all of the manga series too especially at the bookstore.  I know where to look to find my current series but sometimes I'll pick up other titles that look interesting and maybe buy a few volumes to see if it's something I would enjoy reading.

My to be read list is really long.  I know I have at least 20 books on there.

One of my favorite series is Yona of the Dawn.  :D  I watched the anime and the OVAs and was so captivated by the story that I had to know what happened after the anime stopped.   

I'd love to read Daiya/Ace of the Diamond but the volumes are only available digitally in the US and the English translation is far behind the Japanese version right now.

The newest Komi Can't Communicate (17) came out today.  I didn't feel like making a trip to the bookstore to get it but I did go to Walmart for a little bit.  I was surprised when I saw it on the shelf there. :)  Walmart has been stocking more manga later but it's usually older titles or ones that don't interest me.   

I still need to read Yona 34.

Ponyfan

Online Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #429 on: February 08, 2022, 02:03:01 PM »
My general rule with manga is only to chase up series that I already know I like from the anime, although there have been some exceptions. Sotsugyou M, for example, doesn't have a translation in English, but I got into it because of associated seiyuu related stuff that put me on the trail towards it. There's a weird OVA that appears on YT sometimes...but it barely touches the surface of the story, so it's almost pointless watching it honestly. Most of the story is on drama CDs, in manga and in various novels.

But most of the manga I have has had an anime adaptation of some kind. I used to read manga in English but wanted to be able to practice my language, and also got fed up with waiting for stuff to come out. I remember joking to someone when I wanted to read the Fushigi Yuugi novels - Yuugi was my trigger to learn japanese, as it was the first anime I watched in Japanese - that it would be quicker for me to learn the language than wait for a translation. Guess what? There still isn't an English translation of the Yuugi novels :P So yeah.

Because it's expensive to get manga from Japan, I manage to keep my collection down. But there are some long series as well. I don't have complete manga for Daiya or for Bleach. The latter I'm kind of done with for reasons, the first it's just so many volumes in Act I *sob*. I have most of Act II up to the latest game though.

I'm up to date with Yona volumes though I haven't read properly the last four or so. I have a complete set for Yuugi, Saiyuuki, Furuba, Haruka 1, Angelique and Koruda are somewhere in a box. Otherwise it's mostly odd volumes here and there I guess? Haruka is also in a box, which is annoying if I want to read it, since the best stuff never made the anime *sob*.

I have novels for Saiunkoku Monogatari as well as Yuugi and SotsuM. I think it had manga. I never read the manga though. I'm still only halfway through the novels; they're the real basis for the story but I get easily distracted. But they're really nicely written. It's probably good they didn't animate it right to the very end though.

Right now the only manga I buy is Daiya and Yona. Though I'm always open to new ones, it really has to grab me for me to go to the trouble.  I'm not up to date with Daiya manga at the moment, but normally I read the new chapters of that when they come up. I just don't want to right now. O.O.

If Saiyuuki would continue, then I'd buy that too -.-. But they've been travelling across China and India for the last 25 years already :/ Even though there are a few things I want to know about, in a way the fact they're finally in India now is kind of an anticlimax.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Ponyfan

• View Profile
« Reply #430 on: February 12, 2022, 12:58:13 PM »
My general rule with manga is only to chase up series that I already know I like from the anime, although there have been some exceptions.

I like the idea of watching the anime first before deciding to read the manga. :)  I have the first 3 volumes of Haikyuu but I'm going to watch the anime before I buy more of them. 

Ponyfan

Online Shaiyeh

• Staff
  • Trade Count: (+78)
    • View Profile
    • Watch my Youtube!
« Reply #431 on: February 12, 2022, 02:20:54 PM »
I also think thats a good idea :D For me, though, I sometimes rely heavily on how much I like the art style of the manga - which sometimes doesn't translate well into anime ^^' but this is 100% from an artist inspiration perspective :)
flip the coin and I've recently started watching MHA, and now want to read the manga. that's not something I'm committing to collecting though. Not yet at least =A=

Thanks izard for my super cute ava and Starscout for my wonderful siggie!

Online Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #432 on: February 12, 2022, 04:41:17 PM »
I don't think it's a bad thing to be attracted by the art O.O. It's perfectly valid :D

I like pretty art too, but I'm more tied up in the characters. Even than the plot. I can forgive a weak plot arc if the characters are strong. I admit I am a little fussy about the art style but there have been a few exceptions.

Yona has quite pretty art at times. And no matter how nicely they do the anime for Saiyuuki, they never quite nail the art detail as nicely as the manga.

Haruka definitely had beautiful art. I remember some people were into it because of that.
Spoiler
I think the artist who drew for Angelique and illustrated probably the Saiunkoku manga - definitely the novels - was pretty decent as well. Kairi Yuura...I think.
Spoiler

I haven't read BnHA, though I've watched a fair way through the anime. I do wonder whether it had some inspiration from Tiger & Bunny or if that's a coincidence, given the hero-world theme. I admit that pretty much the entire villain cast in BnHA annoys me, but I like the students, their interactions and chemistry.

...Not enough to buy all the manga volumes though xD.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Ponyfan

• View Profile
« Reply #433 on: February 23, 2022, 10:10:43 AM »

I think the artist who drew for Angelique and illustrated probably the Saiunkoku manga - definitely the novels - was pretty decent as well. Kairi Yuura...I think.
Spoiler

I love the picture in the 2nd spoiler tag. It's so pretty. 

One of my favorite Yona covers is 5 with Kija and Yona on it. :) The amount of details the artist is able to fit on each cover never ceases to amaze me.  Sometimes I find myself looking at the Yona covers and just admiring the art. 

I read Yona 34 today.  There was a lot of things happening that I didn't expect.

Ponyfan 

Online Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #434 on: February 23, 2022, 10:57:23 AM »
I have a soft spot for the cover with Zeno. You know which one. Although I like a lot of them.

...Also, 33 is quite impactful just because of what is going on in it vs the cover image. For me anyway.

I won't be able to catch up the yona manga properly now till I'm done teaching, probably :( So end of March. I have skimmed over it so I know the broad strokes. Just not the specifics.

I did dig out the Saiyuuki manga to work out how the episodes might pan out. I need to find a good example of that to post here because Minekura-sensei also has really beautiful art. But some bits of it are a mite violent.
Edit to add: here's a nice gaiden manga cover art of Gokuu up a sakura tree.
Spoiler

« Last Edit: February 23, 2022, 11:04:24 AM by Taffeta »
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal