collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: What manga are you reading?  (Read 90717 times)

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
Re: What manga are you reading?
« Reply #375 on: October 08, 2021, 07:44:57 PM »
I understand.  As much as I love Daiya, sometimes I feel my eyes are too tired for me to be able to concentrate on the subtitles while watching.

I bought Yona 32 yesterday along with Way of the Househusband 6, A Tropical Fish Yearns for Snow 3,  A Silent Voice 1 and 3 ( I thought I was buying 1 and 2) and My Love Mix Up. 

I was drawn to My Love Mix Up by the cover and the description on the back but after I started looking more in to it after I got home I'm not sure it's going to be a series I'll enjoy. I'll probably buy at least the first 2 volumes before I decide.

I'm debating whether I want to buy current volumes of a few series I'm thinking about reading like Fly Me to the Moon and Haikyuu and then fill in the gaps later or not.  Fly Me to the Moon isn't that long yet but Haikyuu is at volume 46. 

I'm going to rearrange my manga this weekend to make room for the new books I bought. 

Edit:  Amazon had something that I wanted to get back in stock this morning so I also bought A Silent Voice 2, and A Man and His Cat 1 and 2.

Ponyfan
« Last Edit: October 09, 2021, 12:30:57 PM by Ponyfan »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Offline Ponyfan

• View Profile
« Reply #376 on: October 11, 2021, 09:46:34 AM »
My manga came today. :)

Ponyfan

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #377 on: October 11, 2021, 01:31:04 PM »
I'd watch some of the haikyuu anime before deciding if you want to buy all that manga ;) Since it's there on CR and I think on netflix as well, some of it :) I have not read the Haikyuu manga, although I know how it ends...ish. But it is a lot of stuff. It's not as long as Daiya mind you..

|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Ponyfan

• View Profile
« Reply #378 on: October 14, 2021, 07:08:14 AM »
That's a great idea, Taffeta.  :D  I'll do that before I  decide if I want  to buy the  Haikyuu manga. 

I tried watching a little more of Fly Me to the Moon/Over the Moon for You but so far it hasn't impressed me enough to make me want to read the manga.  Luckily I only have volumes 1 and 2 right now.

Ponyfan

Offline Ponyfan

• View Profile
« Reply #379 on: October 20, 2021, 09:51:42 AM »
I'm also trying to decide if I want to buy Sailor Moon Eternal.  I was originally against it because I already had most of the smaller volumes at the time it was announced and the volumes are about 3x times bigger than standard mangas.

The publisher says that they have made Eternal a smoother translation than the volumes I have and have fixed many of the mistakes that were present in the original English version.  I'm not sure if that statement is completely true though because  I read online that  Sailor V Enteral has many of the same mistakes that still aren't corrected. 

I also saw that Sailor Moon Eternal will be reissued in 22 in a smaller size.

Ponyfan   

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #380 on: October 20, 2021, 12:42:07 PM »
I'm tempted by the Eternal editions too, especially Sailor V - I saw it while I was out today and omg, it's soooo pretty and shiny... *o* And the thought of a smoothed-out translation is nice too, I honestly wasn't a huge fan of Kodansha's translation... Yeah, it's better/more accurate than the old Mixx translation (from what I've seen of that), but I thought Kodansha's take was a bit too stiff a lot of the time. Wasn't a fan of their massive wall of translator notes at the end either (don't get me wrong, I like TL notes, but they could get a bit excessively long... a lot of those really could've just been quick footnotes...!). That's disappointing that there's still a lot of errors in V though :(

oooh, I wonder what size the 2022 reprints will be. Something right in between the old editions and the Eternals would be lovely.

Offline Ponyfan

• View Profile
« Reply #381 on: October 20, 2021, 04:35:59 PM »
I bought Sailor Moon Eternal vol 1 today.  Surprisingly it fits on the shelf with my other mangas (It looks huge in the bookstore) with a little room to spare.  It's only a little bigger than The Way of the Househusband,  If I like the first volume I'll get the smaller versions of Eternal when they come out.

I'd be happy to post comparison pictures between the older Kodansha releases and Eternal if anyone is interested. :)   

I also bought A Man and His Cat 3, A Silent Voice 4 and Komi  Can't Communicate 15.  I like my books to be in excellent condition  but I didn't realize that the copy of Komi I bought has a bad bend in the front cover.  : (  I didn't catch it at the store so I don't know if it was already like that or got bent in the bag.  The other copy they had looked like it had been sliced with a boxcutter.  I don't want to take it back to the bookstore so I'll just have to be really careful handling it so it doesn't get worse.

Ponyfan

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: October 20, 2021, 04:42:38 PM »
The thing about translations is that there will always be elements of Japanese that two different translators will render differently but both be technically correct. It's probably going to be a case of what sounds best to you when reading it and knowing the series well. There really isn't another way to do it, since you're never going to get a translation that is 100% conveying the original. Japanese and English are just built too differently.

This is especially true with Japanese and American English, because American English is pretty direct and Japanese is absolutely not direct and built often on implication and inference (hence the translation gaps). Most English scanlations are done in the US, so that's a factor as well.

I remember a massive issue in the Bleach community way back when that stemmed from a scanlation issue that was really hard to overturn and had a major impact on how a lot of people understood the plot. I remember going back to investigate it with the sense that the story was one way, and then realising that actually it wasn't, and that it could be traced back to a mistranslation of one small phrase some several chapters earlier. That was kinda scary...

|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: October 21, 2021, 07:07:10 AM »
I'd be happy to post comparison pictures between the older Kodansha releases and Eternal if anyone is interested. :)   

That'd be awesome if you could! :) I love seeing comparison pics for this sort of thing.

Offline Ponyfan

• View Profile
« Reply #384 on: October 26, 2021, 06:37:23 AM »

That'd be awesome if you could! :) I love seeing comparison pics for this sort of thing.

I'll get some pics. :D   I'm hoping that Kodansha at least fixed the major errors like "spark ring pressure" instead of "sparkling wide pressure" for Jupiter's attack. 

I've noticed that Eternal still has translator notes in the back but I don't know yet if there are less than the original editions.   

I still need to read Yona 32.

Ponyfan

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #385 on: October 26, 2021, 01:56:23 PM »
I still need to find Yona 32. *looks at manga pile mess and whistles innocently*
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #386 on: October 26, 2021, 02:19:26 PM »
pff, I forgot about "Spark Ring Pressure" XD That reminds me of how Tokyopop messed up with their release of Tokyo Mew Mew volume 1, one of the attacks is meant to be something like "Strawbellbell" or "Strawberry Bell" (IIRC it's a sort of pun/wordplay that doesn't translate well, I think they ended up going with "Strawberry Bell" eventually) but they somehow ended up translating it as "Sutoro Bell Bell" x) Still surprised no one caught THAT one before it went to print. They did fix it for later volumes, but still!

Taffeta - re: your previous post (wanted to say this before but I was having trouble wording it at the time) - yeah, I get what you mean. The translator can really make or break a translation.. okay, that's obvious, but like, their "voice". I was watching a fansub the other day, and it was all accurate and stuff (well, at least as far as I could tell), but I just... couldn't get into it as much as I normally would've, because the translator had tried too hard to give each character their own speech patterns, voice, etc - to mimic how they originally spoke - and the end result just didn't work (IMO), it was too over-the-top. Sorta the opposite problem to what I was saying about Kodansha's Sailor Moon release, now I think about it. They had a problem with being a bit too stiff/not enough "character", this one had too *much* character :p

It's kinda like how a bad dub can kill your enjoyment of the program; you can tell there's a good story under it all but the acting, or script, or whatever, is just taking away from it. I dunno if I'm explaining this right, but yeah.

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #387 on: October 26, 2021, 08:35:37 PM »
Re Strawberry Bell - probably a victim of the r/l conflation?

I feel like subs are sometimes really hit and miss, for a number of reasons.

I remember when Dattebayo subbed Bleach and frankly, rewrote bleach to include more graphic threats, swear words and the like. I have no real idea why, but I remember a lot of Bleach fans then complaining about more accurately produced subs that they felt had been censored because they didn't contain those things.

It is definitely possible to go OTT on stuff as well. I think most people would prefer things like 'san' to be left in, and not silly words like 'sissy!' when the text actually uses 'neechan'. These are pretty common terms, but if you want to omit them, just use the character's name instead. It's simpler, you know?

Another issue is if a subber doesn't know the series that well. Some things are hard to understand without context, especially if there is special terminology. For example, the original fansub I have of the Haruka series, back before I spoke Japanese, mistakes the name of a character (Sanehisa) for something else, because Sanehisa's name literally appears once? in the anime (vs more times in the manga) and it's being yelled.

And then there are just mistakes. My favourite one is from Daiya, where the subber (this is CR) seems to have given up on the line, because the sub says, "what does he say?" What the character actually says is something like, "he held down the inning without conceding a run" or something on those lines, and it's pretty clearly audible even with the background noise. But I feel like that was a note for them to come back to it and they didn't and it accidentally got through.

I rewatched Season 3 of KKM in the summer. It never had an official DVD release in English as far as I know, since the company producing it went bust, so it's a fansub and I haven't watched it in years. My Japanese has improved a lot in that time, and I was genuinely horrified at how many of the lines are wrong. It made me feel like I'd actually watched the series for the first time, because it was the first time I'd understood the actual dialogue :/

On the style of speech though. A lot of characters do have specific styles of speech. Again with Bleach, there's a character where I think it's actually impossible to translate his lines in the way they're written. Not because it's complicated, but I just don't know how to render how he speaks into English that conveys the same intent. And there's another character who speaks entirely in katakana, including katakana that are seldom used in modern day Japanese writing. I just...how do you explain that, except that the speech pattern is unusual?

At the end of the day translators can just do their best to make a version that flows, that doesn't deviate from the writer's original intent and which conveys the actual plot rather than changing major plot points because of a misread phrase or misheard statement. There's never a perfect translation, but some are definitely better than others.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #388 on: October 27, 2021, 06:12:59 AM »
IIRC the bell thing is a bit of a weird portmanteau of "bell" and "berry" originally. I can see why it tripped them up - the attack/weapon names in TMM are all odd puns that don't TL well, *I'm* still not entirely sure of some of them - but it's weird they got stuck on the "straw" part :p

Re: speech patterns, they're definitely important to try and convey in the translation, the problem was this particular fansub went a bit OTT with it - the characters ended up sounding like weird parodies or over-the-top goofy cartoon characters, instead of normal people x) There's definitely a knack to that sort of stuff. Personally if it's something that doesn't translate well (like the katakana thing you mentioned, that's a good example), I'd rather people just scrap it and add a note about it somewhere, rather than trying to shoehorn in some sort of equivalent.

My opinion on honorifics is, I'd rather they be kept, BUT if you're gonna not use them, at least try and keep to the spirit of the original dialogue. "Oneechan" being translated to "sis" is alright if the characters are actually sisters - but if it's being used in an admiring way - translating it that way is weird. I think ADV did a reasonably good job with this for their Wedding Peach fansub... when the girls were calling their crush "-sama" they translated as "dearest" or "dear", not totally perfect, but worked reasonably well. If it was one of the antagonists using "Raindevila-sama" for the baddie, they translated it as "Lady Raindevila", etc. That's what I mean - either keep the honorifics, or find contextually-appropriate substitutes for them.

It also really bugs me if a character calls another by their surname and the subs use their forename instead.. If I'm hearing "Harukaze-san" (for example) I don't mind if the subs say "Harukaze-san", "Miss Harukaze" or just "Harukaze", but it'd really annoy me if they said "Doremi". Even setting aside the fact that what one character calls another is often meaningful, it's just annoying to see one thing when you can clearly hear that's not what's being said.

I do agree some subs go waaay over the top with honorifics, suffixes, etc, though. I'd rather see "Your majesty" over "Jou-sama" for a queen character, for example.

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #389 on: October 27, 2021, 07:41:39 AM »
I also dislike when they switch surname for first name. Or, Fushigi Yuugi is a good example of this, but the characters mostly are Chinese, riight? So the English manga translation gives them all Chinese names and all the countries Chinese names, based on the characters they are written with. But the Japanese manga uses the same characters but with the Japanese readings SO...you get two completely different names. I don't even know most of the Chinese names for the Yuugi characters...I remember the country Kounan being 'Hong Nan' instead though. I get why they did it but it feels over the top.

Similar happened with the names Sefuru and Ikutidaru in Haruka - they became Sefle and Icktidarl (shivers).

I'm opposite when it comes to some of those things with honorifics though. I guess I'm just used to them? Lady xx for sama is fine, as is your majesty for jou-sama, or prince for ouji. They're quite straight forward. Also straight translations like Count for Hakushaku, )academic) Dr for Hakusei are fine.  But I'm not a fan of 'dear' for 'chan', nor 'hime' for princess. Sensei also has way too many possible translations, so it's definitely a case by case.

I suspect that opinion is massively biased though. In general I prefer to see honorifics preserved where possible because I'm not a fan of westernising cultural references, especially when they change the nuances of relationships. But that's just my perspective as a Japanese speaker, which is not really valid considering an English speaking audience.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal